CJohn

Star Trek 2 OS thread

Anything above $200 million would be great considering what previous ST films have done overseas. Some people have ridiculous expectations. Star Trek is very American and if they can market it more like other appealing Hollywood franchises, which seems to be the case here, then it could show an increase.

Right now it should aim for $500 million worldwide. The brand needs to be rebuilt as theatrical ST films died out before the 2009 reboot. Things are in place, but lower those expectations people.

Edited by PatrickvD
  • Like 2

At this point I dont even think a sequel to STID could still happen (or at least not any time soon):

[*]1. The director is leaving; they need a new one.

[*] 

[*]2. Budget for STID already reached $195M. Yet STID is struggling to the 500M+ WW range. And even if it gets there, say 550M. It is still not that profitable.

[*] 

[*]3. The consecutive failures at OS box office from ST09 and STID will make Paramount seriously think again about the potential of another TREK movie. What is the point of making a $200M budgeted movie if it doesnot sell at OS markets nowadays?

[*] 

[*]4. ST09 got almost everything right yet it still took four years for a sequel to happen.

Thus ...

500M would make it more profitable than the last film. Since that one got a sequel I don't see why the same "problem" would cause this not to get one.

Edited by Tower

Since that one got a sequel I don't see why the same "problem" would cause this not to get one.

Point is Paramount made STID mainly for the expanding OS markets. And their marketing stratage is based on that. Now it looks OS is not working for TREK. So it is natural if Paramount put the next sequel on hold.

How many markets it opened in? I don't think there's a lot.

UK 2 May 2013 (London) (premiere) Australia 9 May 2013   Austria 9 May 2013   Germany 9 May 2013   Ireland 9 May 2013   New Zealand 9 May 2013   Switzerland 9 May 2013 (German speaking region) UK 9 May 2013   Bulgaria 10 May 2013   Hong Kong 10 May 2013   India 10 May 2013   Mexico 10 May 2013   Norway 10 May 2013   Sweden 10 May 2013   Taiwan 10 May 2013   Thailand 10 May 2013

• Like 1

Point is Paramount made STID mainly for the expanding OS markets. And their marketing stratage is based on that. Now it looks OS is not working for TREK. So it is natural if Paramount put the next sequel on hold.

You don't make a sequel to one of the least OS friendly films because of its OS grosses, this got made because the original must have been profitable enough.

• Like 2

Paramount aren't going to not make a third film especially when Treks 50th anniversary is in 3 years time and I imagine given the success Skyfall had last year, they'd be nuts not to even consider it. The franchise is still a cash cow for them,