50 Japan

25 Australia

25 Mexico

5 HK

5 Malaysia

5 Philippines

5 Singapore

215 total

I think that's a solid middle-of-the-pack estimate. Could go higher, might go a tad lower. Are my numbers wildly unrealistic anywhere?

Japan may seem a little optimistic 

Thanks. I value your OS opinion quite a bit -- you're much more knowledgable than me. Why do you think Russia and Japan will do less than I guessed?

Nonsequels rarely hit 30M+ in Russia. Immature markets like Russia, China, Brazil, etc are very sequel-sensitive.

Most Hollywood movies do bad in Japan since last year with just a few exceptions. Even 30M for PR will still make it one of the top grossing Hollywood films this year there.

• Like 2

Nonsequels rarely hit 30M+ in Russia. Immature markets like Russia, China, Brazil, etc are very sequel-sensitive.

Most Hollywood movies do bad in Japan since last year with just a few exceptions. Even 30M for PR will still make it one of the top grossing Hollywood films this year there.

That makes sense. I'm going high on Japan because culturally, this is a movie very much in tune with their sensibilities, plus it stars a Japanese actress. For Russia, I'm guessing that since they're a featured country (with a jaeger) that might help a bit. In general, too, I think the fact the story is simple, straight-forward, and with a ton of action, that will also help its appeal.

Your numbers is not impossible though. It is just my opinion.

Sure PR has obvious Japan elements and monsters culture is popular there. But for example, TF made 34M there in 2007 when Hollywood is still strong there. TF is part of Japan-born and has culture there. Out of the top 10 OS markets, (China, S Korea, Japan) are the three that most digg the Transformers.

TF3 was very big in Russia too but not much TF1/TF2. I think around #10 2013 will be a good spot for PR there, which means 20~25M.

• Like 4

One of the most renowned videogame developer in Japan, Hideo Kojima share his opinion :

http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-reviews-pacific-rim-in-eight-tweets-680304164

The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?

That should be helpful there :P

I hope it can surprise us in Japan, the potential is huge :)

Edited by Fullbuster is Gone

i dont think it will get 50m in japan. as someone has pointed, Tformers has branding and a long history of use in japan. this one doesn't. In fact it wont touch tformers numbers anywhere OS as Tformers is one of the biggest brands in history.

prolly 250m os seems the limit.

australia will not get 20mil. more like 15mil. aus mirrors the us market.

this has to be viewed like an original sci-fi non-franchise movie. they are hard to break out unless your name is james cameron.

in 2013, u can STiD which is a sci fi sequel which got only $220m OS

so i can't see PR exceeding that number by a lot.

Edited by Halba

i dont think it will get 50m in japan. as someone has pointed, Tformers has branding and a long history of use in japan. this one doesn't. In fact it wont touch tformers numbers anywhere OS as Tformers is one of the biggest brands in history.

prolly 250m os seems the limit.

australia will not get 20mil. more like 15mil. aus mirrors the us market.

this has to be viewed like an original sci-fi non-franchise movie. they are hard to break out unless your name is james cameron.

in 2013, u can STiD which is a sci fi sequel which got only $220m OS

so i can't see PR exceeding that number by a lot.

But PR is getting good reviews while the Transformers series was all rotten, so I thought that you would think that PR would do better.

In the case of STID, being a sequel is a hindrance, it would be better off being an original film.

35m in Russia seems possible

dont see that now

maybe 25 max

FF6 grossed 34

Transformers was only about its existed franchise for decades! it was nothing about Bay! Why it grossed 319 in US was only due to that reason!And even in overseas it was pretty much the same reason!(but not as much as in US)

i havent said anything abt Bay :D just said i dont like TF so thats why i wish PR outgrossed it (unlikely tho)

Edited by Leyla

But PR is getting good reviews while the Transformers series was all rotten, so I thought that you would think that PR would do better.

In the case of STID, being a sequel is a hindrance, it would be better off being an original film.

TF is no comparision. Said dozen times, TF is not review sensitve.

i dont think so any more. RT Scores are just 1 factor in box office, and its on a case by case basis

the most important factor is GA appeal and brand recognition i have understood. lone ranger, and now this one, don't have GA appeal.

Edited by Halba

i dont think so any more. RT Scores are just 1 factor in box office, and its on a case by case basis

the most important factor is GA appeal and brand recognition i have understood. lone ranger, and now this one, don't have GA appeal.

Nobody expected The Avengers to reach $1.5B WW, and I don't mention Avatar...A real surprise can be expected given the scale of this movie, I want to hope and there are many reasons to hope :)