A Marvel Fanboy

Pacific Rim OS thread

Vietnam is a very small market despite its population (95m) but in the long term the potential is big, it could become like Japan nowadays or even bigger.

I seriously doubt it. Vietnam is in an economic lump right now, with serious price inflation problem. Despite the relatively big population, I don't think its BO potential will ever be fully developed. It's a communist country FWIW.I know for a fact that ticket prices in VN are really high, basically watching movies in theaters is a luxury, and it is a popular form of entertainment present only in big cities (mainly Sai Gon and Ha Noi) Almost all small cities and rural areas don't have movie theaters. It's developing sure since recently, IM3 is the highest grossing movie over there, but that bounds to happen when you have more theaters and high ticket prices.Good news though, for me at least, is that TA2 will be huge over there come 2015 for sure. Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

I seriously doubt it. Vietnam is in an economic lump right now, with serious price inflation problem. Despite the relatively big population, I don't think its BO potential will ever be fully developed. It's a communist country FWIW.I know for a fact that ticket prices in VN are really high, basically watching movies in theaters is a luxury, and it is a popular form of entertainment present only in big cities (mainly Sai Gon and Ha Noi) Almost all small cities and rural areas don't have movie theaters.It's developing sure since recently, IM3 is the highest grossing movie over there, but that bounds to happen when you have more theaters and high ticket prices.Good news though, for me at least, is that TA2 will be huge over there come 2015 for sure.

I remembered about Vietnam's economic news from 3-4 years ago with 9-10% GDP growth a year, Vietnam was touted like a mini-China, but indeed I read about its current economy and the change is sweeping, it's a mess now o_o (a little bit like China by the way but worse).

• Like 1

I remembered about Vietnam's economic news from 3-4 years ago with 9-10% GDP growth a year, Vietnam was touted like a mini-China, but indeed I read about its current economy and the change is sweeping, it's a mess now o_o (a little bit like China by the way but worse).

Yeah, it got all the problems: economical crisis, price inflation, and all the pretty things that come with having a Communist government. The association with China definitely doesn't help either. In Vietnam, the gap between rich and poor keeps getting bigger and bigger, it's ridiculously sad  :sadno:

It is higher than 30% unless China dominates the overseas total. Studio's cut is only 25% in China but in other territories it varies from 30% - 50 %.

Studios share varies 13%~40 in OS markets, with most in the 20`30 range.

What firedeep said.

Yeah, it got all the problems: economical crisis, price inflation, and all the pretty things that come with having a Communist government. The association with China definitely doesn't help either. In Vietnam, the gap between rich and poor keeps getting bigger and bigger, it's ridiculously sad  :sadno:

Vietnam isn't as stringent with limiting Hollywood releases though, are they? I'm sure if the market became big enough they probably would, but I'm not sure there's enough of a local market to justify doing so.

Inflation was relatively down to 7% last year, but growth slowed to 5%. Still 2-3x more than what you want inflation wise.

Last time I was in Vietnam, I had the option to see Mummy Returns, haha. No point though because we had the bootleg.

Edited by #MrPink of Steel
  • Like 1

Vietnam isn't as stringent with limiting Hollywood releases though, are they? I'm sure if the market became big enough they probably would, but I'm not sure there's enough of a local market to justify doing so.

Inflation was relatively down to 7% last year, but growth slowed to 5%. Still 2-3x more than what you want inflation wise.

Last time I was in Vietnam, I had the option to see Mummy Returns, haha. No point though because we had the bootleg.

It's a very small economy, the market is not interesting at all in this moment. It needs 10-15 years to become interesting, and 30-35 years to become a big market.

• Like 2

I don't think so. Unless the movies have some in-your-face criticisms against the government of course. They're pretty liberal with Hollywood releases from what I see.

Another problem that hold back Vietnam BO is piracy, it's rampant over there, maybe even worse than China.

When did you visit Vietnam? You mentioned that you're Asian, any chance you're a Vietnamese, Mr.Pink? That would be cool. Not that other kinds of Asians are not cool  :P

I don't think so. Unless the movies have some in-your-face criticisms against the government of course. They're pretty liberal with Hollywood releases from what I see.

Another problem that hold back Vietnam BO is piracy, it's rampant over there, maybe even worse than China.

When did you visit Vietnam? You mentioned that you're Asian, any chance you're a Vietnamese, Mr.Pink? That would be cool. Not that other kinds of Asians are not cool  :P

Vietnam is too small to say "No" to Hollywood, and Vietnam needs the US given this country hates China and fears it.

I am Vietnamese! I went twelve years ago (I was 11 at the time), from what I understand, everything has significantly changed at this point so most of what I remember is now quite different. I've been trying to make a trip back there with my brothers but the stars haven't aligned over the past few years, but now that I'm out of school and my brother just got his Master's degree, thinking it'll happen within the next year or so.

• Like 2

I am Vietnamese! I went twelve years ago (I was 11 at the time), from what I understand, everything has significantly changed at this point so most of what I remember is now quite different. I've been trying to make a trip back there with my brothers but the stars haven't aligned over the past few years, but now that I'm out of school and my brother just got his Master's degree, thinking it'll happen within the next year or so.

Cool  :D Yeah, things have changed a lot. I visited Sai Gon last year, it was pretty fun. I'm mixed btw, has a little bit of Vietnamese in me. 

You're in Houston, should have guessed you're Vietnamese. Where did you come from in VN? I hope you will get the chance to visit, it's your homeland after all; and hopefully has a good time with your brothers.

You're out of school already? I'm jealous, could be another 5 years in store for me  ^_^

After watching PR, I think 100M+ combined in China and Japan is possible. It's the most fun I had since TA. My audience ate up the crazy action and I'm feeling confident that China and Japan won't let it down.  :D

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

After watching PR, I think 100M+ combined in China and Japan is possible. It's the most fun I had since TA. Audiences ate up the crazy action and I'm feeling confident that China and Japan won't let it down.  :D

Japan will love, you can be sure of it :)

Cool  :D Yeah, things have changed a lot. I visited Sai Gon last year, it was pretty fun. I'm mixed btw, has a little bit of Vietnamese in me. 

You're in Houston, should have guessed you're Vietnamese. Where did you come from in VN? I hope you will get the chance to visit, it's your homeland after all; and hopefully has a good time with your brothers.

You're out of school already? I'm jealous, could be another 5 years in store for me  ^_^

Very cool. :)

My parents are from a city called Qui Nhon, which is central Vietnam near the east coast. When I visited, I went to Qui Nhon and Saigon. I was born in plain ol' Iowa though.

I finished up my Bachelor's last year, though I do I intend to get a graduate degree, but that's more of a late 20's goal. For now, it's a few years in the job market.

For now though, just excited to go see some Pacific Rim tonight. Kaijus and mechs, how can I not enjoy it?!

• Like 1