A Marvel Fanboy

After Earth OS Thread

After Earth is a definite flop. 130m production and I have no idea how much was spent on marketing. Not even 350m would put it in the black. It's a money loser.

It will never touch 350 mill

Firedeep is clearly trolling, he has no clue about box office. His Star Trek and OZ comments confirm his stupidity. STiD is already over 200m and did more than ST OS. AE is a summer tentpole, with much better position than Oblivion, yet it will gross less OS, that's a bone fide flop. It's dropping 60-65% next weekend. 

• Like 1

Wow, Malaysia 2m, Indonesia 1.6m...excellent numbers.

What??  :blink:  Waaay higher than I thought after I saw its screen count. But if that's for 5 days then it's actually in line with my expectation before the release. Thursday was a holiday too, and many people took the day off on Friday, so it's basically a 4-day weekend, 5 if you count Wednesday. But with bad WOM and MOS just aroud the corner, it won't have legs.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Firedeep is clearly trolling, he has no clue about box office. His Star Trek and OZ comments confirm his stupidity. STiD is already over 200m and did more than ST OS. AE is a summer tentpole, with much better position than Oblivion, yet it will gross less OS, that's a bone fide flop. It's dropping 60-65% next weekend. 

WRONG. You dont know yet.

If AE is, then so is Oblivion/STID/OZ ....

for the latter 2 its the DOM number that makes the difference.

They keep a much larger portion/cut of the gross + tv and other things are more profitable.

I´m not saying that they are hits by no means, they are doing better than AE IMO

So it is an equel in the end ... balanced out.

I dont think so.

I see ST2 do around 200 mill more than AE with a 60 mill higher budget. And most of that gross is DOM were studio´s get the most...

And im not even a ST fan. Im more WS fan.

But logic is logic

Defending a truly terrible film is the path to the dark side.

Not quite.

Some people here just hate this movie and trend to downplay it.  Truth is, as an original sci-fi movie, especially a poorly reviewed one, it is not doing that bad internationally (200M OS remains possible). It got great chance to double its budget with its WW gross.

So good movie or bad one, its business performance should be justified in the right way.

Oh, firedeep.  :D

After Earf is a flop no matter how you slice it.  Its domestic take will be less than half of its production budget and its OS numbers aren't gonna come close to making it break even.

And the comparisons you're making to oblivion just simply don't work.  Oblivion is a disappointment, yes, but its not a huge money loss for the studio.

Oblivion = disappointment

After Earth = Flop

John Carter/Battleshit = Bomb

• Like 1