A Marvel Fanboy

WORLD WAR Z: $WORLD WAR Z: $335M Overseas Total / $535.9M Global Total

banned in china.

The censors rejected a particular cut of the film (presumably the one released everywhere else) when it was submitted for review a few months ago. It was made clear at the time that Paramount could and would resubmit it after changes. If there's been any news of a subsequent rejection, I haven't seen it. If you know something nobody else here knows--including firedeep, who's probably more plugged into these things than anyone else here and seems convinced the film still has a shot--then share it.

• Like 2

The censors rejected a particular cut of the film (presumably the one released everywhere else) when it was submitted for review a few months ago. It was made clear at the time that Paramount could and would resubmit it after changes. If there's been any news of a subsequent rejection, I haven't seen it. If you know something nobody else here knows--including firedeep, who's probably more plugged into these things than anyone else here and seems convinced the film still has a shot--then share it.

What is the offensive part?

The Wrap article is the only one I've seen on the issue and they don't say. The Film Bureau never explains this sort of thing, and while Chinese filmmakers occasionally comment on their issues with the local censors, Hollywood studios usually don't. For example, we only have rumors as to why Django was pulled on the day of release, or why The Dark Knight never came out in the mainland. None of the speculative reasons offered in the Wrap article are very compelling--I've already commented on the Pitt/Seven Years in Tibet issue before, and zombies aren't a problem in and of themselves, given that most of the RE movies have come out there  and there was a domestic zombie movie released last year (which is supposedly unwatchable).

• Like 1

The Wrap article is the only one I've seen on the issue and they don't say. The Film Bureau never explains this sort of thing, and while Chinese filmmakers occasionally comment on their issues with the local censors, Hollywood studios usually don't. For example, we only have rumors as to why Django was pulled on the day of release, or why The Dark Knight never came out in the mainland. None of the speculative reasons offered in the Wrap article are very compelling--I've already commented on the Pitt/Seven Years in Tibet issue before, and zombies aren't a problem in and of themselves, given that most of the RE movies have come out there  and there was a domestic zombie movie released last year (which is supposedly unwatchable).

One of the villains played by a Chinese-Singaporean actor Chin Han, is a Chinese international criminal who holes up in Hong Kong. The movie makes specific reference to China "not extraditing" the criminal which paints a picture of a Chinese gov't that tolerates harboring criminals (which is not untrue, but so are many reputable countries around the world). Chinese authorities do not take kindly to that idea. This is THE reason why Dark Knight is banned.  

Edited by zackzack

Come on, we all know, the book contains specific reference to Patient Zero originating in China. I am telling you the Media Bureau or something like that checks everything, anything that they deem offensive to China. China may contain flaws in their system, and there are many things in their laws that I personally don't like, but they have the right to ban a work of fiction which does not portray their country in favorable light. They have the right to even ban any work of fiction just because.

But having said that, the Chinese are missing quiet a good chunk of revenue by refusing WWZ playdate because I bet this is the kind of movies young Chinese moviegoers love to see on the big screen. Judging by the impressive run of STID, the Chinese is ready for thought-provoking scifi genre.  I won't be surprised WWZ earning $50-60M ala MoS & STID.

It would seem strange to me that they would ban WWZ because of something that isn't even in the film, but have no problem with 2012 in which the Chinese had an important role in which they were portrayed quite badly.

It would seem strange to me that they would ban WWZ because of something that isn't even in the film, but have no problem with 2012 in which the Chinese had an important role in which they were portrayed quite badly.

The movie will lead people to the book.  ;)

They are paranoid. But sooner and later

they would relent. But to be honest,

they would lose business if American

movies are allowed to play without

restrictions. They are more lavish,

better written, girls are prettier, guys

hotter. China as a country is very concerned

that their young will be reading TWILIGHT

instead of the equally atrocious TINY TIMES  :D

They are already facing  a brain drain with 

many of their college graduates choosing US

or Canada or Australia as permanent homes  :D

And I see a lot of Chinese girls hooking up

with tall, hunky white guys ending up with

children who are no longer Chinese  :D

They are left with uneducated coolies from the

villages who have no choice but to slave in the cities.

You see, folks, China is in crisis 

Edited by zackzack

One of the villains played by a Chinese-Singaporean actor Chin Han, is a Chinese international criminal who holes up in Hong Kong. The movie makes specific reference to China "not extraditing" the criminal which paints a picture of a Chinese gov't that tolerates harboring criminals (which is not untrue, but so are many reputable countries around the world). Chinese authorities do not take kindly to that idea. This is THE reason why Dark Knight is banned.  

I'm aware of all this. There was absolutely nothing from either the Film Bureau or WB citing the specific reason for its non-release in China (the closest thing was a statement from WB mentioning "cultural sensitivities," with no further elaboration). The Hong Kong scenes were obviously the reason, but that was (and AFAIK still is) entirely speculative, absent official word from any of the parties involved. With Django Unchained the prevailing explanation is that the censors overlooked some nudity, but neither Sony nor the Film Bureau have ever admitted it. In that case the only "official" explanation is China Film Group's claimed "technical reasons," which not even official media outlets accepted at face value.

The movie will lead people to the book.  ;)

You know the funny thing about that? The Zombie Survival Guide was officially released in China just a couple of years back, despite the supposedly unforgivably anti-China book the author wrote several years earlier. So if they're trying to keep this Max Brooks character off of the Chinese public's radar, they kinda blew that one already. (Come to think of it, why would they pass The Dark Knight Rises when it all but requires you to watch The Dark Knight before seeing it?)

Edited by Bob Violence

You know the funny thing about that? The Zombie Survival Guide was officially released in China just a couple of years back, despite the supposedly unforgivably anti-China book the author wrote several years earlier. So if they're trying to keep this Max Brooks character off of the Chinese public's radar, they kinda blew that one already. (Come to think of it, why would they pass The Dark Knight Rises when it all but requires you to watch The Dark Knight before seeing it?)

A movie has a direct impact on an audience.

A book has a much slower burn on the reader's mind.

A strong scene in a movie is like a cocaine ball hit, and

when it hits, it hits hard. It's like you are instantly brainwashed

MI3 is pretty much a harmless entertainment but

Chinese censors did scream & cry over depiction of

poor section of Shanghai with wet clothes hanging

on lines. It is embarassing for the so-called "Biggest

Economy in the World" where majority of the population

still lives below poverty line. 

World War Z crossed the $200 million overseas mark this weekend after earning $45.2 million from 54 territories. Brad Pitt's zombie epic has currently grossed $207.4 million overseas and $366.1 million worldwide. World War Zis the number one film in France after a $7.8 million weekend. Other top markets for the film are Russia ($20.5M), Mexico ($15.7M), Australia ($13.5M), Germany ($12.4M), and Brazil ($8.3M).

And SK total 27-28M

So it made about another 40 mill or so this weekend?

WORLD WAR Z: $246M Overseas Total / $423M Global Total.

Any idea what it made this week?  That's a very small drop.  Did it have any new territories it opened in?