CJohn

Despicable Me 2 OS thread

Despicable Me 2 is off to a hot start overseas. The animated sequel is playing in seven territories ahead of its July 3 North American release, already posting an impressive $50 million head start. The film beat outMonsters University in a head-to-head battle in its Australian debut last weekend, setting the stage for this weekend's expansion to six additional territories. The minions took the top spot in five of those territories, only getting second place behind Man of Steel in its Sweden premiere and sophomore frame in Australia. Despicable Me 2 is posting a better performance in these seven territories than its predecessor, Kung Fu Panda 2The CroodsShrek Forever After, and the Madagascar sequels.

Despicable Me 2 took in $15.7M from the U.K. and Ireland over the weekend, reaching a $23.3M total in the market when combined with last week's previews. It is Universal's biggest opening weekend of all time in the market, grossing nearly four times the $5.9 million brought in by Despicable Me.

From Deadline:"France - Opened #1 on Wednesday and has grossed $8M at 799 dates and 40% market share and is more than 1.5 bugger than Despicable Me. It’s the third biggest opening of 2013."'more than 1.5 bugger.'Appears she's still on drugs.