CJohn

Despicable Me 2 OS thread

Despicable Me 2 grossed $88 million from 45 territories over the weekend to take its overseas total to $151.1 million. The figure is more than twice of the performance of its predecessor in the same territories over the same period. It is the biggest opening of all time for an animated film in Latin America, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, South Africa and Vietnam. The film's global total is just shy of the $300 million mark, currently posting a $293.2 million worldwide total.

Despicable Me 2 posted the biggest opening of all time in South Africa and Venezuela. The film opened in 38 markets this weekend, claiming the top spot in 36 of them and coming in on second place in the remaining markets. 

Edited by firedeep

Not as strong a weekend as expected. I think it makes between 450-500M OS, overall a big jump from DM1. 

This looks to do about 800-900 WW.

Mexico led the way on $15.8m from 605, followed by Brazil on $6.7m from 420, Germany on $6.2m from 697, Indonesia on a magnificent $4m from 100 and Spain on $3.3m from 370.

The UK led the holdover territories on $7.2m from 532 for $35.9m, France on $7m from 800 for $16.9m and Australia on $4.5m from 272 for $20.8m.

• Like 1

The animation sequel scored Universal’s second biggest international launch behind Fast & Furious 6 earlier in what has became a spectacular summer for the studio.

Despicable Me 2played in 6,849 venues in 45 territories and combined with a handful of holdovers in the UK, France and Australia to reach $151.1m outside North America.

It ranks number one in 41 and scored table-topping debuts in 36 out of 38 new territories this weekend, scoring.

The weekend delivered the biggest opening for an animated film in Latin America, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, South Africa and Vietnam, the biggest opening in history in South Africa and Venezuela and Universal’s biggest debut in Latin America and South Africa.

By way of comparison Despicable Me grossed $71.2m from the same number of days in the same 45 territories.

Mexico led the way on $15.8m from 605, followed by Brazil on $6.7m from 420, Germany on $6.2m from 697, Indonesia on a magnificent $4m from 100 and Spain on $3.3m from 370.

The UK led the holdover territories on $7.2m from 532 for $35.9m, France on $7m from 800 for $16.9m and Australia on $4.5m from 272 for $20.8m.

Despicable Me 2will open in 18 new territories in the coming months and arrives next weekend in Estonia, German-speaking Switzerland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine.

Edited by firedeep

It's okay to have an opinion but yours at this point is either trolling or you are so much of a neophyte when it comes to box office that you should really refrain from espousing stuff you know little about.

No one has ever said this will do Toy Story 3 numbers WW but 350 is not the max it will hit internationally.  The second weekend drops in major markets are strong and the WOM on this is fantastic.

I never said TS3 numbers WW! i was saying this movie won't pass 400 M, 350 million max. in US

Edited by dilusha117

I never said TS3 numbers WW! i was saying this movie won't pass 400 M, 350 million max. in US

This is the the overseas thread, if you give out a number without mentioning that it's DOM then you are going to confuse people.

Wow! $4m in Indonesia? That's crazy! That's uber blockbuster territory, and it has a chance to be in the top 5 all time list, or at least top 6, depending on how big MOS did (there's no info at all about its gross or OW in Indonesia). Already the 3rd biggest animated movie ever and soon will be #1. Currently it's behind KFP2 ($5,568,530) and Mad 3 ($4,155,160).

Not surprising though because that's what people have been talking about all week. I've seen it twice already. Another week of school holiday will hopefully give DM2 some great legs. Maybe the 3rd $10m movie this year? (Or 4th, again, depends on MOS number) There's no competition too since Turbo will do nothing. I don't even know when it will be released.

If the movie movie runs till November all around the world, then 600 is a possiblity

How long of a run it has isn't important, it won't be making meaningful money long before it technically finishes its run.

• Like 1