CJohn

Thor 2 OS thread

It bombed over here. It is opening with around the same as Man of Steel. And that sold a pathetic 36000 tickets in the first 4 days (Iron Man 3 sold 67000 tickets in the same amount of days). Thor 1 sold 63000 tickets in the first 4 days.

It bombed over here. It is opening with around the same as Man of Steel. And that sold a pathetic 36000 tickets in the first 4 days (Iron Man 3 sold 67000 tickets in the same amount of days). Thor 1 sold 63000 tickets in the first 4 days.

as soon as I saw your post in this thread I was expecting "its bombing in Portugal" 

Well good buddy.. You maybe right my friend, but that looks bad for our MOS holding second place for the year :(

Though it is a reboot and 3rd-4th place for the year is incredible when you have 2 films potentially 3 that have made 1Bil+ WW.

MOS ain't finishing 3rd-4th for the year. It's currently in 5th, and should be passed by another 3-4 films.

Well good buddy.. You maybe right my friend, but that looks bad for our MOS holding second place for the year :(

Though it is a reboot and 3rd-4th place for the year is incredible when you have 2 films potentially 3 that have made 1Bil+ WW.

Im pretty Sure Hobbit 2 may challenge Iron Man3 for the glory.. If they can reclaim the lost fans from  the first triology.

Thor you just never know with this guy.. Do you think it could go into 900-1bil territory FM? :)?

Nahh. I see 700-750 mill WW right now kal

spain would be another market where it will underperform.

These are the data of MCU in Spain:

Iron Man (2008): 1.315 million admissions - 7.6 million € - 12.0 million $ (BOM figure)

The Incredible Hulk (2008): 0.865 million admissions - 4.9 million € - 7.7 million $

Iron Man 2 (2010): 0.918 million admissions - 5.7 million € - 7.6 million $

Thor (2011): 1.184 million admissions - 8.5 million € - 12.4 million $

Captain America (2011): 0.886 million admissions - 5.8 million € - 7.7 million $

Avengers (2012): 2.384 million admissions - 16.2 million € - 20.2 million $

Iron Man 3 (2013): 1.381 million admissions - 9.6 million € - 13.0 million $

The economical situation was worse in 2011 than in 2010 and Thor was already bigger than Iron Man 2 (in admissions too). And Iron Man 3 has increased a 50% after Avengers relative to IM2, so I would not discard to see Thor 2 being the biggest MCU movie in Spain just behind Avengers.

• Like 3

great response here on twitter

everyone is super excited

expect smth big this weekend (but not everyone was prepared that it actually has such wide previews before Nov 7 so lots of ppl are pleasantly surprised)

Monday is a holiday so :popcorn: great they decided to cash on it! smart distributors

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 2

Great start in Europe, massive jumps over Thor 1 in UK, France and Germany. Latin America and Asia remain as the wildcard but if they show similar jumps than I think 500M is looking very likely and with holidays coming up I wouldn't be shocked with 550M+ OS. 

• Like 2

Great start in Europe, massive jumps over Thor 1 in UK, France and Germany. Latin America and Asia remain as the wildcard but if they show similar jumps than I think 500M is looking very likely and with holidays coming up I wouldn't be shocked with 550M+ OS. 

550M is more than double thor's gross. Are we seeing > 2x thor opening so far. I am not too sure about that.

550M is more than double thor's gross. Are we seeing > 2x thor opening so far. I am not too sure about that.

I agree with keyser here... But i would not be surprised if 500 mill..The key here is fall/winther legs against summerlegs.. Im still around 450 mill ish

From KJ. Germany grosses for related Marvel flicks.

Avengers: 2,3mIM3: 1,9mThor: 1,1m

Thor 2 looks like beating them all, so this is one market that will more than double than Thor 1. Once we can compare Asia/LA numbers it would be easy to extrapolate overall potential. May be Druv wont be that far off.

• Like 4

My thinking regarding 550M is WOM plus holidays. To get better than expected legs but regardless, with the start it has 500M is looking likely. China, Russia and few LA markets will definitely double or even triple Thor 1 so I wouldn't say 550M is out, just more of long shot depending on legs but this is massive start for Thor 2. All thanks to TA, Feige's vision and Thorki's popularity. I can easily see TA 2 push 1.1 maybe even beat Titanic's original OS gross of 1.2B OS. Feige has created a juggernaut.  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

From KJ. Germany grosses for related Marvel flicks.

Avengers: 2,3mIM3: 1,9mThor: 1,1m

Thor 2 looks like beating them all, so this is one market that will more than double than Thor 1. Once we can compare Asia/LA numbers it would be easy to extrapolate overall potential. May be Druv wont be that far off.

Opening weekend is between 60 and 70% higher than Thor1 - don't see it doubling it yet (especially as higher openings tend to make smaller multipliers)

Marvel Studios could have 4 ongoing series (Avengers, IM, Thor, CA)  that consistently make over 600 m WW

That's better than most major studios.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/12317-every-studios-top-5-ongoing-series-worldwide-oct-2013/?hl=studio#entry1060750

Feige had the vision. Also, I think GOTG is going surprise people with it's BO. By this time next year GOTG will be on your list as well.  :D

• Like 1