CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Here is an idea of openings to reach final values in Japan

OW                Japan
TWR          8,256,371      
MU            8,374,662      90,141,508
DM2          3,386,836      
Ponyo     9,667,033      

Seems about right. On the side, I'm a gaming journalist, and the industry revolves around Japan, so I'm familiar enough with the culture there to know that poster isn't out of the ordinary.

Today's Japanese culture relys heavy on ACG. But it's still bit odd (for me) to see posters for animation with real human characters on. But good legs, so no complains.  :D

Anyone have an estimate for the OS total after today? BOM's seems incredibly low compared to previous weekends' holds, but maybe I'm missing something and it's accurate. But then again, BOM isn't always great with updating international numbers...

Anyone have an estimate for the OS total after today? BOM's seems incredibly low compared to previous weekends' holds, but maybe I'm missing something and it's accurate. But then again, BOM isn't always great with updating international numbers...

IMO last week was overestimated in order to win the Oscar and reach 1 B on the same day. Also the 2 markets that were supporting last week (China and SK) showed steeper drops this weekend.

IMO last week was overestimated in order to win the Oscar and reach 1 B on the same day. Also the 2 markets that were supporting last week (China and SK) showed steeper drops this weekend.

Hm. Well, based on those numbers then, I just did a rough projection on a post-it note. I'm sure many of you here have charts and graphs and can give more accurate predictions, but based on the past few weeks, and roughly projecting those forward domestically and OS (minus Japan), and plugging in MU's weekly numbers as a placeholder for Japan, I have Frozen passing $1.1B in mid-April, eventually crawling to a total around $1.13B by June, good for 6th all-time WW, passing IM3 dom, and inching close to TS3 dom.

But again, it was just a rough projection. Haven't really looked into how Frozen's winter release (vs. MU's summer release) will affect the trajectory.

• Like 1

frozen's bom china numbers sometimes are not in line from those provided by entgroup and OS total numbers from those reported by screendaily.com. More than once bom OS total for frozen have been updated in mid-week.

Chinese box office is hard to estimate?

Or Disney setted data to get oscar and billion in the same day? (1.000.256.000$ is a number incredibly close

to 1.000.000.000$)

Edited by edroger

South Korea ($76.3M), the United Kingdom ($63.8M), Germany ($47.9M), China ($46.1M), France ($42.6M), Russia ($33.3M), and Australia ($30.8M).

Hope that China number will pass Germany number, and China will be #4 OS market for Frozen, very good performance.

• Like 1

South Korea ($76.3M), the United Kingdom ($63.8M), Germany ($47.9M), China ($46.1M), France ($42.6M), Russia ($33.3M), and Australia ($30.8M).

Hope that China number will pass Germany number, and China will be #4 OS market for Frozen, very good performance.

hope that japan will be #1 os market for frozen

• Like 2

Finally BOM updated the swedish box office. Frozen: $8.4 M until March, 2nd

that's a solid performance :)

It makes frozen the current highest grossing movie of 2014 in sweden (not saying much this early in the year but still) and it looks likely to end in the top 5 grossing films of the year.

UK continues to surprise too :D

• Like 1

Finally BOM updated the swedish box office. Frozen: $8.4 M until March, 2nd

So they did. I suppose a 1 week lag isn't too bad. With a similar drop this week it'll be pretty close to Tangled, probably passing it next weekend.

They have it holding the #1 spot again with $602,349 (-16.9%)

• Like 2

that's a solid performance :)

It makes frozen the current highest grossing movie of 2014 in sweden (not saying much this early in the year but still) and it looks likely to end in the top 5 grossing films of the year.

UK continues to surprise too :D

yes

Some OW numbers of WDAS/Pixar films in Japan

Title/OW/% of total gross/total gross

FN- $10,331,939 10.1% $102,441,470

MU $8,374,662 9.3% $90,141,508

The Incredibles $7,299,536 14.6% $49,967,205

TS3 $11,156,768 8.8% $126,660,533

Monsters, Inc. $4,471,902 6% $74,437,612

Tangled $1,743,372 5.6% $31,081,461 (Low OW was because of the earthquake I think)

WiR $3,629,743 12.2% $29,646,724

• Like 1

That sounds solid. Similar to FN's OW. 

Isn't $10m a little bit too high? Frozen is WDAS, not Pixar. They are different. FN was released after MI broke out, and Hollywood movies were more popular back then. MU and TS3 are sequel/prequel. I don't think they're comparable. Besides, $10m OW is very rare lately. Even The Wind Rises couldn't manage to do it. And it was heavily promoted as the last movie from Miyazaki.