CJohn

Looper OS thread

it seems you have got something wrong. rentrak reported looper´s international gross at 8.5M not at 30M+ as other box office news we keep receiving. this is my point why they actually care.

rentrak is not a magazine, newspaper or a blog. rentrak is a clearinghouse and a tracking company. what they do is collecting data (box office information, home entertainment revenue ....) from theaters, vendors, .... but not from distributors or studios. they do not care about any particular record at all. they make enough money just by tracking data. (100M annual revenue) . couple of years ago they bought nielsen edi and now they are the sole tracking company for box office data.

it is devastating what happened to box office. people want all possible data at once and free, of course. this was not the case before. can you imagine there was no weekend box office stats on monday morning before 1996? (variety started to provide boffo data on monday morning) before 1998 there were no Friday data available on saturday (box office mojo started this) we got used to get fast boffo information for free now. but we all demand quality of data as well. it is not possible. this is why rentrak is slower and reports less. 8,5M in contrary with 14M from box office mojo, which is the only site which mention doubts about looper chinese gross.

it was exhibition relations later followed by box office mojo which report box office numbers from studios. they have information sooner but less reliable. now it seems that trade magazines, although they have a rentrak subscription, they all follow what studios say. in a competitive world they need fast data, not reliable one, yesterday news is not attractive one, right? This is why we like deadline, deadline is superfast, but super wrong very often. People claim they want exact information but what they really want is superfast speed.

Yes, I made a mistake with adding Rentrak into the mix.

I must just add that the only reason BOM wrote about Looper's gross being a mistake was because of me telling Ray about it. If I didn't, he'd be none the wiser.

Edited by Barney Ross

Yes, I made a mistake with adding Rentrak into the mix.

I must just add that the only reason BOM wrote about Looper's gross being a mistake was because of me telling Ray about it. If I didn't, he'd be none the wiser.

well, at the guardian they have doubts either. :)

http://www.guardian....nia-looper-sony

Edited by dezorz

Well I didn't inform them, although I do know the correspondent over there, but not Jeremy Kay. Where's the normal fella?

Jeremy Kay also writes for screen daily. He gives that horrible international report for the weekends. Edited by ECSTASY

it seems you have got something wrong. rentrak reported looper´s international gross at 8.5M not at 30M+ as other box office news we keep receiving. this is my point why they actually care.rentrak is not a magazine, newspaper or a blog. rentrak is a clearinghouse and a tracking company. what they do is collecting data (box office information, home entertainment revenue ....) from theaters, vendors, .... but not from distributors or studios. they do not care about any particular record at all. they make enough money just by tracking data. (100M annual revenue) . couple of years ago they bought nielsen edi and now they are the sole tracking company for box office data.it is devastating what happened to box office. people want all possible data at once and free, of course. this was not the case before. can you imagine there was no weekend box office stats on monday morning before 1996? (variety started to provide boffo data on monday morning) before 1998 there were no Friday data available on saturday (box office mojo started this) we got used to get fast boffo information for free now. but we all demand quality of data as well. it is not possible. this is why rentrak is slower and reports less. 8,5M in contrary with 14M from box office mojo, which is the only site which mention doubts about looper chinese gross.it was exhibition relations later followed by box office mojo which report box office numbers from studios. they have information sooner but less reliable. now it seems that trade magazines, although they have a rentrak subscription, they all follow what studios say. in a competitive world they need fast data, not reliable one, yesterday news is not attractive one, right? This is why we like deadline, deadline is superfast, but super wrong very often. People claim they want exact information but what they really want is superfast speed.

Just clarify a few things, could write a novel, just going to point out couple ideas1-Rentrak collect Hourly data (couple countries) & overnight tracking theatre data quite a few countries(along with other services HomeEnt, TV etc), along with the hourly/overnight tracking they also have studio reported side as well (more countries that what are the countries they get theatre/screen level data from)The Studio reported side is what media etc can subscribe to either just various e-mailed report and/or online access , overnight/hourly tracking data is strictly for Exhibitors & distributors only.all of this same stuff use to exist with Neilsen EDI as well before Rentrak bought them.The studio reported side covers what they are given, mix of top level film totals along with individual countries and also countries weekend/week top10/20/50 etc films. China as an individual listing is one they don't do (if china is included its in INTL total they may get from Studio/Distributor, However they are currently trying to enter china market also from theatre tracking point of view)Most data collected is electronic (there is a level of email/fax/phone), so even when studios/distributors report their numbers its usually in the form of an uploadable file.for countrres that have both overnight tracking and studio reported you can compared data sets.2-There were weekend boxoffice estimates on monday morning long before 1996 infact even before WWW started, since at least 89-91, newswire services lke UPI, AP etc use to put out reports (basic top 10-12 and any other details worth noting, like a weekend record) , back in the day if you were on the old Compuserve you could access this before WWW.Further to this I use to put out few places weekend/fri numbers estimates , actuals etc.It was along with public issued reports but might have been earlier.Yes Exhibitor Relations (around since 1974) would have been the first offical agency to issue weekend estimates, at the moment I can't recall when they started doing it(if it pre dated late 80's) but most of the newswire services got data from them.I should have had shares in BOM, Brandon (who meet a few times) use to communicate with me when he was still at Uni (around 94-96) about how box tracking worked how to get job in it etc, pretty much straight out of Uni he started BOM, also a few reports I use to do he took over. I several times over the years helped him out few things...anyway3-Friday numbers , off the cuff been put out on Sat mornings since at least 96-97 it would have started (before that industry internal only), it was a while before Sat on Sunday morning became the norm, the main focus was Friday followed by weekend on Monday, if it was a long weekend you may/may not have gotten any official estimates on monday morning, someone like UPI (United Press)quite often would be the only one to put something offical out early on long weekend.There is an article, If I can find it I'll post it that talks about your point on fast data etc, about how studio staff don't get weekends off because off all the reporting and data to public domain that is now expected and as early as possible, from memory it was quite a good article from a few years ago. Edited by Rth
  • Like 6

Sony will be reporting about $230m for its overseas gross then.

Actually Sony only have USA, Canada its Alliance films (BO rolled into Sony NA number), rest of the world different distributors (endgame main financer and Filmnation sold for most Intl markets, Sony only really care about USA and to an extent Canada)

• Founder / Operator

China Gross Confirmed

I threw in a shout-out to the forums for being the first to crack this story last week: ;)

http://www.boxoffice...mid-controversy

Wednesday (10/10) Update: Following controversial reports last week, a representative for FilmNation Entertainment confirmed to Boxoffice.com today that Looper has grossed $16.7 million to date in China, with the international total as of last weekend exceeding $46 million.

Special thanks to our Boxoffice.com Forums community for being the first to uncover the reporting error on October 1.

Edited by ShawnMR

So why is Sony the one reporting $23m opening weekend in China if they don't have anything to do with it there?

they have USA & China, there might be a couple of others but not that I can currently think off, rights for most territories are with other distributors