ecstasy

Thursday Box Office

I've explained to you why it isn't possible COUNTLESS times. Cocho did the same. Hell, you're old enough to understand an arguing, even if you don't agree with it: This isn't James Bond. What is James Bond origin anyway? Secret Agent with a license to kill? Where is the elements that make Spider-Man appealing to you, the super powers? And Batman? Billionaire that beats the crap out of the criminals? If you take away the origin, if you don't give the general audience a background of what these characters are and how each take differentiate from the next, they won't care. That's clearly not the case with both Batman Begins and The Amazing Spider-Man. General audience and fans DO care. It may not be good from your POV, but the reasons of why it's not explained has been explained to you countless times:

[*]This isn't about the old fans, and every generation needs a new take on the character because these archtypes are not as simplistic as "Secret agent with a license to kill".

[*]These aren't our toys, we might as wel enjoy the ride or become jaded because this films aren't made to us.

[*]These characters will outlive us all and their origins are essential for every new take on them, unlike 007, because even on its reboot his origin is still: Secret agent with a license to kill.

If you can't understand that, if you can't come with terms that these masked vigilante stories aren't been made with your audience at heart, you will never understand why you'll never get a James Bond take of them.

I very specifically didn't mention James Bond. I'm not saying the origin should never be retold, I'm saying the origins of these characters are so ingrained in our public consciousness that it's not necessarily to retell that specific origin every time a new director approaches the material.

The very first Batman movie didn't bother with an origin story. It started off with him as Batman, already roaming the streets of Gotham. It incorporated elements of his origin, but that's not the same thing.

Hypothetically speaking, if Sony doesn't bring back Webb for the next Spidey movie, should that new director tell the origin story again?

btw, "a generation" isn't five years. A generation is 15-20 years. ;)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

... Don't you worry if Man of Steel or the first post-Nolan Batman film does only 250m I will call it a disappointment as well.

Lol, why would we worry? We've already had a NOLAN Bat movie that only did $250m... adjusted! But I'm shocked to find out that you think it was a disappointment. ;) Color me surprised! :D:lol:

God, someone give us Friday guestimates so we can stop this tired discussion.TASM will turn a profit in theatres. It will then make more through DVD sales, etc. It won't be a massive huge money maker, but it will do respectably well.If they reboot Batman in the next 5 years, In my opinion, they shouldn't do an origin story again - everyone knows Batman's origin - just start straight off with a new Batman.

I want a new origin and a new take on the character of Batman.

It was definitely not an A-list, it couldn't have been after B&R. But it improved a hell of a lot from its predecessor and set a great base for TDK. It had great WoM was also a massive hit on rental and dvd. We'll see what TASM will achieve in that department. Go back to school if you can't read, no one is talking about WW gross, it's the domestic thread, if you wanna discuss WW box office, go to the international thread.

Well. And once again I disagree with you. For a reboot, both are astounding cases of success.

I want a new origin and a new take on the character of Batman.

Well. And once again I disagree with you. For a reboot, both are astounding cases of success.

going to have to disagree with you there. I think the origin was done too well in BB to be expanded on in any way

... was also a massive hit on rental and dvd. We'll see what TASM will achieve in that department. ...

LOL @ you again, Alfalfa! Rental?! DVD?! Sounds like someone's still livin' in 2005! :lol: Oh, don't ever change Alfie, you're so silly & funny w/your skewed view of everything TASM. Comedy gold you are, I tell ya! ;):D
  • Like 1

Lol, why would we worry? We've already had a NOLAN Bat movie that only did $250m... adjusted! But I'm shocked to find out that you think it was a disappointment. ;) Color me surprised! :D:lol:

BB had half the budget of TASM without 3D and it also grossed the 2nd most of the entire brand while having the highest 5 day overall.

BB had half the budget of TASM without 3D and it also grossed the 2nd most of the entire brand while having the highest 5 day overall.

150m compared with 230m is not half. Also BB worldwide take will be less than 50% of ASM's. 372 compared with 800m+

I very specifically didn't mention James Bond. I'm not saying the origin should never be retold, I'm saying the origins of these characters are so ingrained in our public consciousness that it's not necessarily to retell that specific origin every time a new director approaches the material.The very first Batman movie didn't bother with an origin story. It started off with him as Batman, already roaming the streets of Gotham. It incorporated elements of his origin, but that's not the same thing.Hypothetically speaking, if Sony doesn't bring back Webb for the next Spidey movie, should that new director tell the origin story again?btw, "a generation" isn't five years. A generation is 15-20 years. ;)

Ten years had passed since the last origin Spider-Man film, like Orson Scott Card brilliantly said, the old Spider-Man films just don't look so good right now after what Nolan and Marvel films did. The Amazing Soider-Man draws inspiration of the best superhero films to create what I see as the best Spider-Man film ever, the best reboot and I rank this film as one of the best of the genre. And I'm tired of explaining to you that the ninja training WASN'T the origin story of Batman, just like Oscorp engineered spiders AREN'T the origin of Spider-Man. You have said it yourself that you don't know these characters from the comics, and I'm telling you that I've seen takes on the origins of these characters countless times, and I never grow tired of that. You will see Batman's origin once again soon, which is Bruce Wayne's parents dying, just like Uncle Ben's death and a spider bite are the essential elements of a Spider-Man origin. I don't understand what you want, and may God help you understand that comic book movie films aren't made with you or me at heart. Not even TDKR and the reboot after that. You have the illusion that they are made for you and you want this characters to keep evolving with you, but that's not how superheroes mythology works.

The Spidey loonies better eat some humble pie with their 300m and 900m and 1 billion WW calls, calling us haters for our precious predictions that became box office gold. It seems that I might overpredicted TASM with my 810m WW prediction. My domestic prediction for TASM will be 90% accurate, so no one can call me a hater, you can salute me if you want. Also my TDKR first week > TASM total call will become reality soon.

• Like 1

going to have to disagree with you there. I think the origin was done too well in BB to be expanded on in any way

Regardless if you like that or not, you willbe seeing Bruce Wayne parents dying once again. And that's the true Batman origin, not the ninja training with Ra's Al Ghul that Nolan and Goyer added.

Regardless if you like that or not, you willbe seeing Bruce Wayne parents dying once again. And that's the true Batman origin, not the ninja training with Ra's Al Ghul that Nolan and Goyer added.

You do realize that you are contradicting yourself in the same post, right?

The Spidey loonies better eat some humble pie with their 300m and 900m and 1 billion WW calls, calling us haters for our precious predictions that became box office gold. It seems that I might overpredicted TASM with my 810m WW prediction. My domestic prediction for TASM will be 90% accurate, so no one can call me a hater, you can salute me if you want. Also my TDKR first week > TASM total call will become reality soon.

$300m isn't out the picture yet. It would need a 2.2 multiplier for that. :)

150m compared with 230m is not half. Also BB worldwide take will be less than 50% of ASM's. 372 compared with 800m+

230 does not include marketing which has already been discussed in this thread. You even quoted my post responding to that discussion. Short memory you have.

I would be willing to bet you are in the minority on that one.

Of course, I'm among Nolan fans that think that nothing could be added to Batman's origin, even though Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Begins prove you wrong two times. I'm in good company. :)

230 does not include marketing which has already been discussed in this thread. You even quoted my post responding to that discussion. Short memory you have.

oh so Batman Begins had NO marketing budget did it? Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1