hasanahmad

4D is coming to Theaters, $8 more. How will this affect BO?

It's an option like 3D so it doesn't bother me. I've only seen two movies in 3D (Avatar and TF3) and I am glad I did. Very very nice experience. I will pass on the 4D stuff though.IMAX>then everything else for me. So glad Catching Fire is being filmed with IMAX cameras. :)

Oh god why...?

Well, one could say this about surround color, surround sound, IMAX screens, special effects, CG, 3D and any other enhancement done over time. After all, if a movie is really that good, it doesn't need any of this.But reality says that a good movie can be enhanced by the above. It would be difficult to make "Avengers" without some of the above. Is 4D really needed? Well, some movie theaters (like at Disney) are already "rides" that have shaking seats and 3D. So adding smell is just one extra feature.Is it worthwhile for every movie? Clearly not. However, I will say this, when 3D is done correctly, it is brilliant. I watched "Spider-Man" yesterday which featured a trailer for "The Great Gatsby". This trailer was in 3D and if the movie is like this trailer, then that is perhaps the best 3D I've seen. It was brilliant depth perception, not a few token things popping out of the screen. So for the right movie, 4D can really add to the movie viewing pleasure.But there's always 2D, 3D and just waiting for the DVD/Blu-Ray or cable. The fact that you have so many choices is also an "enhancement". :)
  • Like 1

Thank you for telling me that. You have informed me soooooo much. Your soooooo wise. Posted Image

Well, sorry, it didn't seem like sarcasm to me. I get the sense a lot of people seriously believe that.

Heck, Brave is a good movie and you've mentioned you're still not interested in seeing it.

Edited by tribefan695

This won't go anywhere. Theaters aren't going to spend the money to install the smell machines in every row and moviegoers certainly aren't going to spend even more money for something they don't care about (believe me, audiences don't give a shit about smell-o-vision).

4D is better suited for theme parks and I don't really want water spraying on my glasses. I find it surprising that some are saying 3D is a step backwards. Post converting a movie that wasn't shot for 3D for more revenue is a step backwards but Avatar, Hugo, and Prometheus are not only a step foward, it is a huge leap forward. Good old 2D is great and 70mm IMAX is still stunning but when 3D is done right, it is awesome, literally.

• Like 1

4D is better suited for theme parks and I don't really want water spraying on my glasses. I find it surprising that some are saying 3D is a step backwards. Post converting a movie that wasn't shot for 3D for more revenue is a step backwards but Avatar, Hugo, and Prometheus are not only a step foward, it is a huge leap forward. Good old 2D is great and 70mm IMAX is still stunning but when 3D is done right, it is awesome, literally.

The problem is that even native 3D is no longer a guarantee. If visionary filmmakers like Scorsese, Cameron, and Scott are helming, sure, 3D is great. But Pirates 4, ASM, and others were shot in the format and the 3D was still underwhelming.

You've clearly not run upon theaters that don't offer a 2D option for films in 3D.The 3D fad has become a bit of problem, choices in some places have been all but wiped out.

Guess I haven't. I have never had a problem not finding the 2D showing of my choice.

Yep hollywood execs just come into the theater and shove their dicks in your mouth....than take your money

Oh my God! Seriously I just loled at work. Funniest post I have read in months.

You've clearly not run upon theaters that don't offer a 2D option for films in 3D.The 3D fad has become a bit of problem, choices in some places have been all but wiped out.

It's just starting to get better here. Right after Avatar whenever a new 3D movie came out here there was virtually no 2D option. I actually passed on seeing several movies I was on the fence about seeing because of that. In the last few months the theaters have been much better, nearly every 3D movie now has a 2D option if it's playing on more than 1 screen. The biggest remaining problem is that when these movies start losing screens in their runs is that 2D is always the first to go, which seems counter to demand as later in the run less people want to spend extra for 3D, but even that is starting to get better now, The Avengers is down to 1 screen in most local theaters, but they all pretty much have the first show of the day as 2D and the 3 later showings in 3D so you still have options. Even a few months ago that wasn't the case.

The first 4D theater in the US is set to open at Regal LA Live. Might check it out when it opens.

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/americas-first-4d-theater-opens-this-summer-and-heres-what-it-looks-like-747615.html

The next big thing in movie viewing is finally coming to America. Korean company CJ 4DPlex has just signed the papers to install the first 4D theater here in the United States. Where will it be? The Regal Cinemas Live Stadium 14 in Los Angeles.

For those tired of “boring” old 3D movies, 4D looks to take things to the next level by making the film-watching experience more interactive. This is achieved by adding various physical effects, such as motion, wind, strobe lighting, rain, fog and scent-based elements that coincide with the action on-screen. 

CJ 4DPlex is already a global leader in the 4D market, but the Regal location will mark its official U.S. debut. The company will convert a small theater in the existing building (which will seat roughly 100 people) and hopes to have it open by this coming June or July. Numerous Hollywood blockbusters are already made with 4D enhancements, but for foreign markets – where the 4D phenomenon has already started to gain a foothold.