hasanahmad

4D is coming to Theaters, $8 more. How will this affect BO?

2D and 3D are connected as both refer to visual space and there is nothing like 4D visual space. There is no definition of the 4th dimension and you can make up whatever you want. Smell, feet ticklers, water spraying, turn the theater into a time machine, etc. etc.

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

We've had this in the UK for about a year now, and for the right movie it's really fun. It's certainly the best way to watch Jurassic World. 

With smells and everything ? I only ever saw D-box with moving seats. 

I don't think this will catch on. That could be great for VR movies though (if this catches on). 

Also, I suppose it's most used for action movies. But the things happening in those movies would be pretty unconfortable to experience "for real". Do you have to smell the sweat of the always running and fighting characters, the explosions heat and wind ? Seems a chore really especially for an extra 8$ on top of 3D. Really ? So we'll have like 30$ cinemas tickets soon ? Terrible idea

1 hour ago, Shaldun said:

With smells and everything ? I only ever saw D-box with moving seats. 

I don't think this will catch on. That could be great for VR movies though (if this catches on). 

Also, I suppose it's most used for action movies. But the things happening in those movies would be pretty unconfortable to experience "for real". Do you have to smell the sweat of the always running and fighting characters, the explosions heat and wind ? Seems a chore really especially for an extra 8$ on top of 3D. Really ? So we'll have like 30$ cinemas tickets soon ? Terrible idea

How is it a chore when you just sit there? My local cinema for 4DX with Mockingjay pt2, and since then there's been 3 major releases, with that, Star Wars and Deadpool. Deadpool and Star Wars were constantly busy, because evidently the general public are getting something out of it. 

7 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

This is going to be a failed concept for the mere fact that it costs enough as it stands to take a family of 4 to the movies, not to mention the price of concessions and they want to charge an additional $8.00 for 4D??? How are they going to design a system that enables the viewer to smell and taste what's in the movie???

Smell system is pretty easy, you just let out a burst of fragrance like a timed air freshener. 

4D used to be big a long, long time ago with horror films which is where a lot of the advancements seemed to be tried first :P  

but yeah other than D-box recently and some show at Universal Studios back in the 90s, I never really 4D experience and not sure I would want to pay more for it, or need it

24 minutes ago, 75live said:

4D used to be big a long, long time ago with horror films which is where a lot of the advancements seemed to be tried first :P  

but yeah other than D-box recently and some show at Universal Studios back in the 90s, I never really 4D experience and not sure I would want to pay more for it, or need it

Horror, as always, bringing innovations for cinema 

I never watched a movie in 4D, actually, my most 'advanced' technology at cinema was in a XD room :lol: 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

This sounds interesting. What if the seat malfunctions and it starts producing a combination of scents that doesn't stop? Would you have to get out of the theater for an expensive movie like that? Surely it would affect other ppl watching the movie too.

LOL no thanks. Tickets minus 3D at my theater are already $11. No way am I paying $20-25 for this gimmick. The day this becomes standard is the day I pick up badminton as my new hobby.

I watched Mad Max Fury Road in 4D a few weeks ago, as the movie returned to a cinema here only in this format and I wanted to watch it again on the big screen. For some reason, there was no smell, no water and anything like that with this movie, only the seats shaking, so I didn't have the full 4D experience. But it was a nice surprise, it worked fine with this movie that is action from start to finish. But it's too expensive, it costs 40% more than the IMAX 3D screen. 

This just sounds painful, I don't want my seat shaking all over the place and nasty smells being sprayed out and water spraying me.  3D in itself is already annoying enough.  Just give me the movie in 70mm 2D IMAX and im good. 

I did it once and it was super lame and a waste. Its cool for a little bit I guess but its super half assed. Until the filmmaker or team sits though and animates with all the motion and effects like a theme park ride then its pointless. But that will never happen because its impossible for now unless they spend 10's of millions of dollars extra and are developing it for like a year before.

Edited by Jay Salahi