Orestes

Ant-Man | July 17, 2015 | 180.07m dom, 338.4m OS, Marvels 2nd biggest OW in China

I'm honestly really surprised by this critical reception. The twitter reactions had me convinced this was way better than advertised.

I renounce my membership to the Marvel Army and officially join the Star Wars fandom full time.

I'm jumping ship.

But you have a DD icon. Surely you're still in the Marvel Netflix National Guard? Punisher, Elektra, Daredevil, probably Bullseye. Marvel TV is killing it.

• Like 1

How is that similar? James Gunn doesn't really have a stake in the Ant-man thing, anymore than any other Marvel director.

Eh, he's still part of the Marvel machine. It's not as egregious as Cameron's shilling, obviously.

fucking lol @ those early tweets by James Gunn / geek bloggers hyping everyone up for "arguably the best Marvel standalone flick"

• Like 1

I renounce my membership to the Marvel Army and officially join the Star Wars fandom full time.

I'm jumping ship.

Part of the crew, part of the ship.

titanic2.gif

• Like 1

I believe James Gunn truly loved the movie. IDK, he doesn't strike me as a dishonest type, and if he was just shilling, it would probably be less enthusiastic.

Just because it's not getting critical raves doesn't mean people can't honestly love it. I just hope I'm one of those people.

It's only 22 reviews thus far. At least another 150 to come in. I'll check back on this thread in the A.M. 

The early tweets that were glowing seem to not have put their reviews in...so that's what I'm thinking atm. 

It's only 22 reviews thus far. At least another 150 to come in. I'll check back on this thread in the A.M. 

The early tweets that were glowing seem to not have put their reviews in...so that's what I'm thinking atm.

I pray you are right.

Yikes. I wasn't expecting gangbusters reviews and it's early, but this reception is pretty surprising. Having said that, I'm rooting for the movie and will watch it...Now to join in with the dramatics: Ant-Man OW under Minions 2nd Weekend?  :ph34r:

a script that awkwardly vacillates between sincere platitudes about parenthood, sacrifice and redemption, and goofy Drunk History-inspired sequences in which Scott’s dim-bulb thieving cohort Luis (Michael Peña, almost stealing the show) recounts stories that are dramatized in flashback, with actors lip-syncing Luis’ crazy narration.

Yes. Yes.

Though Wright does have a niche audience in the general population, I would assume the percentage of fans would be higher in the critic community and thus predisposed to hate it.    I also assume a high percentage of those who saw it early were predisposed to like it.   So I'm thinking I should fall somewhere in the middle (7/10-8/10 range).

I got curious about the negative reviews so I thought I would see if I could find one that didn't mention Wright.    Movies change directors a lot so making a huge deal about that indicates a fanboy attitude.   They are actually reviewing it against an imaginary movie that only exists in their minds.   That they assume the imaginary movie is awesome betrays their bias.

Mike Ryan- brings it up early and often.

Richard Lawson- brings it up too. "Where it could have gone Wright?"

David Ehrlich-I thought he was just going to review the movie, but he finally got around to talking about Wright at the end complete with an attack on "Marvel".   So he's reviewing "Marvel"?  O...kay.

Alonso Duralde-Also can't get Reed's name out without immediately mentioning Wright.

Tim Grierson-Actually mentioned Reed and "a fleet of credited writers" without bringing up Wright...but then couldn't resist singing the praises of Wright in the first paragraph.

Catherine Shoard-Wow!  I didn't have to get past the first sentence!  "The ghost of one-time director Edgar Wright...."    Yeah...

David Jenkins-A letter to Edgar Wright?  Seriously?

Matt Singer- Started out like a normal review.  But then the Wright stuff started...culminating with this gem:   "Still, it’s hard not to watch idealistic visionaries Scott Lang and Hang Pym battle the malevolent influence of big business and not think of them as stand-ins of a sort for the film’s original creative team. The difference is that Lang and Pym win their battle. Wright and Cornish did not. There’s nothing bigger about Ant-Man than the sense of disappointment around that fact."      Yeah...nothing fanboy about that!    ;)

Well some of these critics have a pretty great ability to see other alternate futures, apparently Wright would have taken this apparently bad material, which he wrote, and made it into a masterpiece. If you don't think that indicates a fanboy then I don't know what does.

QFT

lol I am a Wright fan? Ok.

Well, reviews are now in. It's definitely a Marvel film, right? lmao!

Interesting!

So you suddenly aren't at all passionate about claiming this is "Wright's movie"?    What happened?

Let's see...when the early tweets were raving, you were trying very hard to give Wright the credit for everything (including the film making the release date).    Now that reviewers are giving it bad reviews, you suddenly have abandoned all that and are eager to claim "it's definitely a Marvel film".    What happened to the claims that the script was mostly Wright and the change in director wasn't a big factor in how the movie turned out?

Oh no...that doesn't sound like a fanboy at all.     B)

• Like 6

I think this might end up being close to certified fresh when all is said and done... seems hard to believe for now..but mark my word

Had to check that one too.   Sure enough:

"Ant-Man’s face-plant will strike some as foreseeable, since its path to the screen has been rockier than any prior Marvel effort. Ant-Man was originally a project put in the hands of Edgar Wright, the fanboy-beloved genius behind Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End, and a filmmaker whose love of geeky things—like, say, a relatively uncool second-tier character like Ant-Man who can shrink down to the size of a you-know-what thanks to his high-tech outfit—is matched only by his inventively electric, hyperactive comedy-action directorial style. To many, Wright was an ideal choice to translate such a weird superhero to the screen, since his whip-smart aesthetics seemed like a natural way to enliven the material with the type of zany, sarcastic, lovingly self-conscious energy that James Gunn—another idiosyncratic director given the keys to a Marvel hot-rod—brought to last year’s Guardians of the Galaxy."

A lot of the positive reviews mention that wright is a person who exists and once worked on this movie too. this conspiracy is pretty deep. we're through the looking glass here people.

• Like 1

Here, let's see what Devin from his Badass Digest says about it.. He's an Edgar Wright shill to.. I'll bet he shits on this as well..

Devin Faraci @devincf
ANT-MAN is really a perfect palate cleanser after ULTRON. Ton of heart. Some welcome weirdness gets injected into the MCU as well.

Yeah, totally shitting on it.

• Like 1

Mentioning a factoid as irrelevant as a high-profile director leaving the film in the middle of production must mean that critics were predisposed to hate it!

Wright's fanboys can be as obnoxious as those Scott Pilgrim's hipster characters, reminding me why I hate this movie with all my guts and while I liked his Cornetto trilogy I don't fap on it and squirt on them with a superior and condescending attitude of those who think they're better than the mass just because they saw Hot Fuzz or Shaun Of The Dead. (I own a Zero shirt since 1996 and then this movie came 14 years after starring this whiny bitch poser sporting it like it's the most hip, edgy and coolest thing. Uh wut? Smashing Pumpkins was totally mainstream since 1995 dumbass! Pretty sum up how I feel about the modus operandi of the entire movie. FUCK YOU SCOTT PILGRIM!)

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

Critic consensus:

"Some reviewers didnt want Wright to leave the project and even enjoying the movie the project is doomed, if you don't care who Wright is you might have a good time."

Rottentomatoes

Edited by Mike Wazowski
  • Like 2

Wright's fanboys can be as obnoxious as those Scott Pilgrim's hipster characters, reminding me why I hate this movie with all my guts and while I liked his Cornetto trilogy I don't fap on it and squirt on them with a superior and condescending attitude of those who think they're better than the mass just because they saw Hot Fuzz or Shaun Of The Dead. (I own a Zero shirt since 1996 and then this movie came 14 years after starring this whiny bitch poser sporting it like it's the most hip, edgy and coolest thing. Uh wut? Smashing Pumpkins was totally mainstream since 1995 dumbass! Pretty sum up how I feel about the modicum of the entire movie. FUCK YOU SCOTT PILGRIM!)

Scott Pilgrim is a movie I desperately wanted to enjoy. It's between that and Ratatouille for my record of repeat viewings of films I don't really like.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1