Jack Nevada

Crash- Is it any good?

I think there are some interesting performances in there, but overall it's pretty bad. It's only really good for showing kids to show them why racism is bad.... but it's too adult for kids. So it's not really good for anyone. Also the scene that are supposed to be emotionally manipulative don't really work. Like the scene where the girl got shot by a blank, or the scene where the racist police officer saves the woman. Both made me cringe

This is one of those film that I try to understand why people like and just can't wrap my head around it. I thought that, save a few pretty good performances, this was a miserable movie to watch.

Edited by Gopher

My two cents: It's too bad that it won Best Picture. It may not be a great movie, but I don't think it's terrible enough that it deserves to be approached by new viewers with knives already sharpened.To be fair, it was already divisive before it won Best Picture, but the sentiments against it didn't seem nearly as strong as they were after it upset Brokeback Mountain (which I do think is the better movie by a decent margin).

The best thing about Crash to me was the performance given by Michael Pena in that emotional scene. He really NAILED the emotionality of that moment. Until that scene, in my eyes he had always been just the ethnic bit player. Never bad... mostly serviceable. But that scene... man... I FELT it.

So over the past few days I watched both Brokeback Mountain and Crash so now I can finally have an opinion. And Crash isn't very good. It's a mediocre film full of ugly characters and has only one good scene. What I hated most about it though is that it delivers its message with a fucking sledgehammer. There is nothing subtle about it in any way and that's to its detriment. Brokeback Mountain would've been a much better and much more deserving winner.

It's a mediocre film full of ugly characters and has only one good scene. What I hated most about it though is that it delivers its message with a fucking sledgehammer. There is nothing subtle about it in any way and that's to its detriment. Brokeback Mountain would've been a much better and much more deserving winner.

The bold is kind of the point, though. I don't think a movie about the dangers of racism would be effective without characters who, for some reason or another related to racism, seem like rotten bastards.

I agree with the criticism that the movie lacks subtlety, but then I don't think it would have been as powerful as it was for some viewers without being so blunt. Even though racism in real life can (and does) definitely manifest itself in subtle ways, the bigotry that we notice most often tends to be very direct; thus, it makes sense to me that a movie dealing with it in a contemporary setting would also be direct about it.