Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Oh big deal, "killer" is an adjective used for basically anything good. Hardly something that should be pulled from the shelves.

It's not about that, just the tragic irony. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

A $180-185m opening is really great, and puts it right around the average of normal estimates. Not to mention, wouldn't that mean it sold about the same number of tickets as TA's OW? WB itself only had it pegged at $170m... BE HAPPY, people!

this. Either people have lost it or they need a break from tragic events here
  • Like 2

This will, of course, degenerate into a fruitless debate about the effects of the shooting vs. the Heath Ledger factor in attempting to explain the overall runs of the two films. Personally, going off a conservative 180M OW estimate, I see this hitting around 500M. WOM, even if it's generally accepted to be a bit beneath TDK, will still be excellent and should help this along. The loaded upcoming release schedule won't however.

Actually what it does is confirm just how much of an impact A) The Joker is to a film and B-Ledger's death further increased and overinflated how TDK performed.The performance here is bringing it back down to where it should've been.

No, it doesn't. No one is ever truly going to know what happened this weekend. Everything to me seems all over the place. It can't be proven. At least not yet.

With a 180M OW there is no way it will reach 500M with the type of WOM that is getting, IMO.

What WOM are you and Baumer talking about? My theater gave TWO standing ovations... My theater also just added three midnight shows for tonight. That's never happened before.

A $180-185m opening is really great, and puts it right around the average of normal estimates. Not to mention, wouldn't that mean it sold about the same number of tickets as TA's OW? WB itself only had it pegged at $170m... BE HAPPY, people!

If the opening actually ends up in that range, then I will feel better. I just have a very hard time believing it can get 100-105 over Saturday and Sunday.

(Watching BB on the FX channel now. I love how simple fires cause a huge stone castle of a house to implode on itself. If only Medieval generals understood this, they wouldn't have wasted all that time on battering rams and stone catapults!)With the Olympics, TRCL, and TE2 coming up soon, and no Heath Ledger to bring in the Us Magazine crowd, this has exactly a 0% chance of catching TA.

3:30 AM here. Going to sleep now.Still believe the shooting had an effect and made some people not leaving their houses to go to the nearest theater and see TDKR.

Edited by CJohn

It's hard to gauge the WOM but I wouldn't characterize it as bad.Possibly disappointing, sure. But even then there are quite a few raves.

Edited by MrPink