Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Sorry, don't buy it. People get shot, killed, massacred all the time in the US. Why would this be any different?

This is different.Not in a movie theatre at a midnight showing of one of the most anticipated movies of all time. Can you not understand why people would be more hesitant to go right after they hear about that?

With the tragedy completely put aside, TDKR is nowhere near as entertaining as TDK. It's really good. I liked it and I want to see it again. It really packed an emotional punch for me. But for the GA, I don't think it offers much in the department of repeat viewing.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it will have bad WOM, many people love it. But it won't have stellar WOM needed to hit a 3X off a record 2D opening.

This opening is a taste of what TDKR could do without the shooting. There is a lot of pent-up demand out there.

I've never heard that before ever. Could you provide a link?

I don't know, but it did happen. Someone else who was at mojo in 2003 can back me up on this.

Sorry, don't buy it. People get shot, killed, massacred all the time in the US. Why would this be any different?

Well a black guy dies in a ghetto of Chicago because of a drug war media don't care, many killed people in the US are anonymous.Here we talk about a tragedy in all worldwide and US media, so yeah it's different.The effect is certainly small but it exists.After the destruction of Twin Towers airlines, tourism..were hit.Here we have a small-scale version of it, you can't have no consequences, particularly fo families worried for their kids.
  • Like 1

Not much.There was a shooting on Reloaded's first weekend. 3 or 4 people died then too. Did anyone use that as an excuse as to why Reloaded didn't open higher? Nope. And the reason they didn't is because it already opened pretty high. If Avengers had not done what it did, a 170-180 OW would be considered good. Now your expectations are completely out of what because another film did 200 mill OW aided by 3D.

Shooting did have effect though. Midnight did 30.6M+ compared to 18.5M for TDK and rest of the day only 39.5M to 48.5M. That's Potter/Twilight frontloaded territory and I can't buy all of sudden TDKR's that frontloaded. Shooting did have effect how much we will never know but it did have effect on walkups.
  • Like 1

People get shot all the time. Massacres do not happen all the time. I absolutely believe the shooting had an effect. I've talked to some people and seen on places like Tumblr, Livejournal, Twitter, and Facebook where people said they felt uncomfortable going to see the movie this weekend. Some said they got refunds and plan to see it another time. About 10 co-workers of mine said the same, and most of my family are planning to see it another time instead of this weekend.

I wouldn't bet on that. I can't tell you how many times I put off going to see something until I couldn't see it even if I wanted to.

Because you have to drive to go to work to make money. Movie going is only about entertainment, you lose nothing for not going.

You can take the bus.

I still don't see how it only did $39.6m post-midnight.

Me either. As far as I know, TDKR was more anticipated than TASM. Yet, it'll will make almost the same amount on OD? I don't buy it, and I'm not one of those who believed TDKR would make more than TA.

Well a black guy dies in a ghetto of Chicago because of a drug war media don't care, many killed people in the US are anonymous.Here we talk about a tragedy in all worldwide and US media, so yeah it's different.The effect is certainly small but it exists.After the destruction of Twin Towers airlines, tourism..were hit.Here we have a small-scale version of it, you can't have no consequences, particularly fo families worried for their kids.

If 3000 people died on 9/11, that's a little different than 12 people at a theater.

I don't know, but it did happen. Someone else who was at mojo in 2003 can back me up on this.

I think you got facts mixed up. Some kind of shooting happened in 1999 during the first Matrix movie.