Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Olympics were just as much of a factor - if not more - in 2008 as the country watched with bated breath to see if Michael Phelps would make history.

Yes, but they a bit later in the release schedule than this year. TDK has already moped the floor at that point...and the point about the far stiffer competition still stands. 500M would be an amazing figure in my opinion.

biz is unusually soft so far today for tdkr only imax shows are nearing capacity or selling out {nm} notfabio on Jul 21, 12:09

im sure it will pick up in the evening but it is nowhere near avengers or harry potter part 2 sat biz {nm}

Nowhere near Avengers Saturday business means under 55m. Nowhere near DH2 Saturday business means under 40m. Two very different but still negative things.

I said it yesterday and I will say it again:

I can't believe this might effin' lose to THG and SM3!

TR, Bourne, and Expendables are more direct competition though, compared to the comedies that TDK faced.

Now all of sudden people are interested in Total Recall. That's new.
  • Like 2

biz is unusually soft so far today for tdkr only imax shows are nearing capacity or selling out {nm} notfabio on Jul 21, 12:09

im sure it will pick up in the evening but it is nowhere near avengers or harry potter part 2 sat biz {nm}

Nowhere near Avengers Saturday business means under 55m. Nowhere near DH2 Saturday business means under 40m. Two very different but still negative things.

Oh goodness.

There was certainly an impact as a result of the shooting, albeit a minor one. It does appear now that the film was just a bit over-predicted by a lot of people. I think the number is fantastic, considering TDK's OW was slightly inflated by Ledger, and this is still keeping pace.

How can you think the impact was minor at this point? Sorry but tracking was in the 180s and presales were sky-high for a movie of this type. I can't see how the absolute least this movie was going to make was anything less than in the 180s. This weekend is an absolute disaster and I can guarantee it's almost entirely thanks to the shooting. Ledger has just about nothing to do with it.

I think the bump to the legs will be minor at best...it faces stiff competition every weekend starting in 2 weeks, not to mention the Olympics will decrease the overall performance of the BO.

Really? No, I don't see that happening really. I know it has competition and whatnot, but wouldn't the market be affected in general?

I give up.

This weekend has been so tragic, and it's clear the numbers are now hugely deflated.

I'm just hoping it rebounds soon,

Yup. Me too. What was supposed to be the most fun BO weekend of the year, was not even remotely fun at all.
  • Like 1

I can't believe this. The movie wasn't as good as I hoped. The box office has gone to hell for everything, not just TDKR.And to think that everyone was so pumped and excited less than 48 hours ago. It's really sad how fast things can change.

The 200M+ crowd may have been overzealous but just about everyone on the forum expected an easy attendance record. THESE WERE NOT UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. Literally every indicator we have pointed to a weekend of at least 180-185 if not considerably more.

• Like 2

Haha, yeah, it likely won't do great business, but it does target the TDKR demographic a bit more directly than the slew of comedies TDK was pitted against.

If it barely makes 20M on the weekend, it dont have an effect. I doubt people are going to be running to go to more violent films after this tragedy.

How can you think the impact was minor at this point? Sorry but tracking was in the 180s and presales were sky-high for a movie of this type. I can't see how the absolute least this movie was going to make was anything less than in the 180s. This weekend is an absolute disaster and I can guarantee it's almost entirely thanks to the shooting. Ledger has just about nothing to do with it.

Tracking means little and should not be used as a crutch...it can and has been off on many other blockbusters in the past. I am basing my opinion of the shooting's impact on industry professionals, who have repeatedly said the impact is minimal, and my own belief that this film was being heavily over-predicted prior to release. I won't debate the Ledger point because neither one of us will change our opinion on its TDK impact.EDIT: I will of course concede that I am wrong about the shooting if it starts displaying some amazing holds in the upcoming weeks. Edited by nAlkaline
  • Like 1

The 200M+ crowd may have been overzealous but just about everyone on the forum expected an easy attendance record. THESE WERE NOT UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. Literally every indicator we have pointed to a weekend of at least 180-185 if not considerably more.

Ignore them. They are haters trying to spread an agenda.