Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

What happen with Red Dragon?

It received major backlash while the east coast was being held hostage by the sniper shooters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks). Somewhere in the movie the serial killer refers to himself as God, which one of the shooters also called himself in one of his cryptic notes to authorities. The media was speculating that he was inspired by the film. The movie opened to $37 million but then only grossed $93 million ultimately.

Evidence in favor of the shooting's impact-Tracking in the 180s-Presales well ahead of The Avengers and every other movie except DH2 and Twilights-Almost unprecedented goodwill from TDK-Everyone and their mom is talking about the shooting and associating it with this movie-Record-breaking business in JUST ABOUT EVERY COUNTRY EXCEPT THIS ONE-30M midnights do not lead to 47M in day business for a comic book film.-The movie's failing to meet even BKB's prediction-Sellouts were accelerating at a breakneck pace UNTIL THE SHOOTING.-Walkups are almost zeroEvidence that "our expectations were too high"-...no Heath Ledger...Give me a break. You guys don't have a leg to stand on here.

• Like 2

And yet the same man you are quoting said the shooting's impact on the OW of the film is minimal. Odd.

Didn't he say this yesterday morning when it was tracking for "high 80s"?

And yet the same man you are quoting said the shooting's impact on the OW of the film is minimal. Odd.

That is his opinion. Are you really unable to tell the difference?

Over time for sure but it needs right now.

Most people are liking it. Look at yahoo, RT, cinemascore.By looking at TASM the shooting has effected the box office. Batman will be hurt the worse since it is being called the batman massacre.

I think it's fair to say that a lot has happened in the past 23 hours sine he made that post. People had mentioned that showings were looking strong early in the day, but the night shows simply didn't keep up that pace, possibly walk up issues. Edited by MrPink

Story just popped, couple of the survivors bought tickets to finish the movie to show support for the people that got killed in Colorado. This is how you show cowards that they won't win by killing innocent people. Hopefully, more people will show similar courage and not let the lunatic win. :bravo:

I'm bumping this up. If people who were getting shot at had the courage to go to the movies after the incident, I think rest of country needs to show similar courage and not let the lunatic win.

"I know! Let's just burn down every movie theater in the entire world! It's THEIR fault such a tragedy occurred! Not the shooter's! Also, Christopher Nolan should have every single one of this awards taken away, and only 5% of the gross belongs to him! Because he is responsible! Not the shooter! TDKR isn't doing that well, right? GOOD! It's the FILM'S fault for such a tragedy! This is a BATMAN massacre! Not the shooter's fault!"- The Media

That is his opinion. Are you really unable to tell the difference?

Of course I can. You are stating his claim that a studio's estimate is always lowballing as a fact. It is not. Studios have, many times, overestimated the OWs of their films. Therefore, the quote you stated as a fact is no such thing. You cannot have it both ways.

The people saying the shooting had no effect don't know what they are talking about. Can you explain why the Friday business was no better than a Twilight movie?

Yes, i can. Twilight is as big as Batman on opening day. New Moon bested TDK's OD record.Btw, the last Twilight did i believe 41m post-midnight, which is less than TDKR. Edited by Elessar

And a film that will open as the biggest 2D film ever is lacking in business? The shooting had an effect, yes, but there are many other factors as to why this is not performing at the ridiculous levels that some of you thought. This is Batman/Batman Returns all over again.

• Like 1

Of course I can. You are stating his claim that a studio's estimate is always lowballing as a fact. It is not. Studios have, many times, overestimated the OWs of their films. Therefore, the quote you stated as a fact is no such thing. You cannot have it both ways.

No they haven't! Iron Man 2 is just about the only movie I can remember where the studio overestimated. And again, Gitesh said the shooting's effect was minimal YESTERDAY MORNING.

Then can you name another instance?

I'm late with the news... Where and when did this meltdown start happening??

At about 12:30 AM MST (2 hours behind EST and 1 hour ahead of PST), a theater in Aurora, Colorado experienced a tragedy at a midnight release of TDKR. One person had the guts to sneak out the back exit and bring in weapons and cause double-digit deaths and over 50 injuries.

I think it's fair to say that a lot has happened in the past 23 hours sine he made that post. People had mentioned that showings were looking strong early in the day, but the night shows simply didn't keep up that pace, possibly walk up issues.

That's completely fair. I am just pointing the gaping logical fallacy in his post. My belief in a shooting impact has strengthened as time has go on. I don't think it's nearly as drastic as many on here are claiming, but it certainly appears to be putting somewhat of a damper on this weekend.