Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I'd bet a lot of money that won't happen. it'll get past 165.

In that case I'd seek help for the gambling problem, because there's very little chance this gets 88 or 93M today and tomorrow. Edited by Sims

Difference was Batman was not nearly as well received as TDK nor was Batman Returns compared to TDKR. BR lacked the good-will going into it.

I disagree with that. Batman was quite loved during its release. But Returns was still able to surpass 89's admissions in OW fairly handily.

Sorry but the numbers are overshawdowed but what happen period. On positive note I'm happy Nolan did this cause I was scared he didn't, he really paid homage:

Posted Image

It was so stupid how the guy fixed his broken back by punching his spine.

:rofl:

• Like 1

WOM has no quantifiable effect on an OW...and IM2's WOM was certainly not "bad". It has a 7.1 on IMDB, which was a bit higher during OW. At worst, the WOM was fairly good if not spectacular.

WOM has no quantifiable effect on OD, with social media these days, WOM spreads by evening. That is why TA broke 200M, and that is why THG broke 150, WOM was fantastic for both these films, and walk-ups went crazy.

I meant where and when did this forum meltdown start happening?? Does someone have numbers?

No. People are simply extrapolating absurd totals based on a few bits of anecdotal evidence...but overreaction has always been a standard part of the BOM forums.

TDK dropped on Saturday even w/o midnights.$77.2M$47MThat's $124.2M. It would need $45.8M on Sunday to pass $170M. Looking at Saturday, that's just not possible.

77.246.538161.7Ok, maybe 170 is too high.

And a film that will open as the biggest 2D film ever is lacking in business? The shooting had an effect, yes, but there are many other factors as to why this is not performing at the ridiculous levels that some of you thought. This is Batman/Batman Returns all over again.

I think being up in Canada is the reason you are completely out of touch on how huge a negative impact the shootings are having on its box office. Plus $160m may not even happen and your example of Batman/BR would only apply to its total run and legs, not ow which BR beat Batman. Maybe you're downplaying the shootings effect because you didn't like the movie? I don't know, but you're wrong on the little effect you think it's having. Edited by FTF

No. People are simply extrapolating absurd totals based on a few bits of anecdotal evidence...but overreaction has always been a standard part of the BOM forums.

I'd argue the bigger overreaction is from the few people who think this inarguably shows how 'wrong' our expectations were all along.
  • Like 1

WOM has no quantifiable effect on OD, with social media these days, WOM spreads by evening. That is why TA broke 200M, and that is why THG broke 150, WOM was fantastic for both these films, and walk-ups went crazy.

Fair enough...but the point about IM2 having "bad" WOM is completely false. There was no such thing. The estimates and expectations were simply off.

Difference was Batman was not nearly as well received as TDK nor was Batman Returns compared to TDKR. BR lacked the good-will going into it.

Batman certainly was as well received as TDK. I was alive in 89 and remember it well. It kicked the shit out of Last Crusade. Batman Returns even had a record opening weekend when it came out, just like TDKR could of had if the shooting hadn't happened and there was no 3D to contend with. But TDKR is going to experience all the things that Returns did.

Fair enough...but the point about IM2 having "bad" WOM is completely false. There was no such thing. The estimates and expectations were simply off.

WOM for IM2 was not good. It had a 2.4 multiplier.

I'd argue the bigger overreaction is from the few people who think this inarguably shows how 'wrong' our expectations were all along.

Yeah, they are trying to reninvent history. 'Who cares that tragedy took place, they predicted 170 all along!' That is how I am understanding it.

I think expectations were far too high, but a dreadfully low number would unfortunately confound the variables. I expected around a 175M total...and anything around 180M would have been spectacular. I just think pre-release expectations were completely ridiculous, and this was further compounded by the shooting tragedy.

I think being up in Canada is the reason you are completely out of touch on how huge a negative impact the shootings are having on its box office. Plus $160m may not even happen and your example of Batman/BR would only apply to its total run and legs, not ow which BR beat Batman. Maybe you're downplaying the shootings effect because you didn't like the movie? I don't know, but you're wrong on the little effect you think it's having.

I'm not wrong any more than you are right. The effect is there, but not to the extent you think it is. The film was over hyped from the beginning. The shooting is just one reason the numbers are down.