Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

The shooting is having an effect with most of the films out. If TDKR was the only one posting pathetic numbers, then I think we could debate if TDKR was overhyped. I think the shooting may have shaved off at least $10-15 million from the films potential. With all the tracking and numbers before release, there was no way this movie was going to do soft numbers. No record breakers either, but nothing this low.

Other movies seem to be suffering a bit too.

Some big drops. TDKR is the only new release. I expected more from the holdovers. The shooting definitely had an effect. Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Some big drops. TDKR is the only release. I expected more from the holdovers. The shooting definitely had an effect.

Only people in denial still believe it didn't had a big effect.180M-190M is the range where TDKR should have fallen. Edited by CJohn

I'm surprised nobody in the media has tried this spin:"Did the realism from TDK's Joker character inspire this man to madness? Will the Joker now be banned from future Batman films in wake of both tragedies? Should TDK be allowed to air on TV?"I can just see Nancy Grace or her alien counterpart spinning this web.

Well those 2 movies already had their big runs before the tragedy. We will see the effect of the shooting on the box office in the next few weeks, especially opening weekends of movies like Bourne Legacy, Expendables 2, etc. I think the over the top violence nature of these movies might now be less appealing for audiences so soon after the tragedy, and I wonder how their studios will promote them.

I think TE2 will be all right due to its heavily slanted male demographic, who wants to see an incredible combination of action stars just blow stuff up. I doubt the sensibilities of this crowd will be ruffled much by a shooting that, by the release of the film, will not be receiving the same level of media coverage. Let's face it...there is a certain demographic that will be most put off by the violent aspect of the crime...and they do not constitute a large part of TE2's audience. Edited by nAlkaline

Can't wait to hear studio heads blaming poor bo numbers on the tragedy.

They won`t blame. They either won`t say anything cause tragedy allows them to be respectfully silent or say they don`t care about money in the wake of it. It`s media who will put the shooting spin on disappointing OW.In the meantime, WB is discussing who to fire over this costly disappointment. My money`s on an idiot who brough excusive screening wraith upon the movie`s head.

Only people in denial still believe it didn't had a big effect.180M-190M is the range where TDKR should have fallen.

I still believe 200 M would have been possible, buoyed by strong walk-up business. But of course we'll never know. Thanks to one lunatic.

Fuck me... I just visited my mom. Overhear on the the phone RIGHT NOW with her brother who lives in Mexico and she said this in Spanish: "yes. I wouldn't go. Can't believe chris (that's me) has gone to watch it a couple times". I told her to calm down. It's just a movie and it doesn't promote that stuff. So apparently outside countries (MX) have heard of this too and the media is sending out similar messages?This is getting stupid here. America needs to take a step back for a second.

The shooting will have a impact on the number, we shouldn't even be debating this right now. That should be clear to anyone with a brain.

Apparently there are still people without a brain here :lol:

I think TE2 will be all right due to its heavily slanted male demographic, who wants to see an incredible combination of action stars just blow stuff up. I doubt the sensibilities of this crowd will be ruffled much by a shooting that, by the release of the film, will not be receiving the same level of media coverage. Let's face it...there is a certain demographic that will be most put off by the violent aspect of the crime...and they do not constitute a large part of TE2's audience.

I agree with you on some level. But what about the promo of EXP2, won't studios and tv channels try to be more sensitive with violent movies like that? Will they still air over the top violent promotion for it? And add the fact that Sly lost his son recently, I'm sure a movie where hundreds die in it seems kind of weird/wrong to him, or at least not as fun/exciting.

Fuck me... I just visited my mom. Overhear on the the phone RIGHT NOW with her brother who lives in Mexico and she said this in Spanish: "yes. I wouldn't go. Can't believe chris (that's me) has gone to watch it a couple times".I told her to calm down. It's just a movie and it doesn't promote that stuff.So apparently outside countries (MX) have heard of this too and the media is sending out similar messages?This is getting stupid here. America needs to take a step back for a second.

Didn't China cancel the release there?