Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I agree that Nolans films are very depressing and not for anyone.I was watching TDK at home on Sunday and my parents came in to see what I was watching and left after 10 mins.Said the evil clown guy and all the darkness make it too sad... :lol: :lol:

Edited by Lordmandeep

TDKR:Cinemascore = A (TDK A- or A, I can't find the original score)Current IMDb rating = 9.2/10 (TDK 8.9/10)Current RT rating = 87% (TDK 94%)Current Metacritic rating = 78% (TDK 82%)

I would give the movie a "thumbs up" overall too. But that doesn't mean I loved it. In other words, my rating would be in the "fresh" catetogry on RT, but compared to TDK and BB, the rating is MUCH lower. So those sites can skew one way or the other.As for IMDb, the vast majority of those positive ratings came in before the movie was released. Fan boys were skewing the film positive. Check back in maybe 6 months to a year - then compare. The ratings will normalize by then and we'll have a more accurate feel for what the public really thinks.

Yep, 30 mill is great, no question, but that's less tickets than all of the Twilights that did it and less than DH2. Still great, but not a record.

Valid point, Miss Finke. It's roughly even with all the Twilight sequels in admissions (Eclipse also had IMAX and was playing in 300 more theaters) and those are the most frontloaded tentpoles in the market so 30.64m seems pretty damn great to me. Whatever people predicted months ago it became evident in the days leading up to July 20th this wasn't going to touch DH2, but that's fine, because TDKR won't be nearly as frontloaded.

There is a major spoiler from doctoru2 on page 312.

There is? Sorry! I worked hard at not revealing any spoilers. In fact, one could look at other sites and find the exact names of all characters and such. I hid the one character name that could possibly considered a spoiler. Edited by doctoru2

I have been saying this for three days now and I don't think it's getting enough weight: I truly believe TDKR will see bad-to-average legs and a depressed overall gross not because of its lack of quality or bad WOM but because some in the general public (casual moviegoers) have written this movie off entirely due to its association with the tragedy.

Moreover, to put things into perspective: would TDK have grossed $533 mil. if a shooter, dressed as Joker, shot up a theater on the midnight opening? HELL NO.

Baumer was saying it for months, but his prediction was mid to high 180's. With $30m at midnight, I'm confident my $175m prediction would have been matched or exceeded by the film.

It looked to be heading to the 180-185 range based on the midnight. A little lower than the 190 i predicted.

I would give the movie a "thumbs up" overall too. But that doesn't mean I loved it. In other words, my rating would be in the "fresh" catetogry on RT, but compared to TDK and BB, the rating is MUCH lower. So those sites can skew one way or the other.As for IMDb, the vast majority of those positive ratings came in before the movie was released. Fan boys were skewing the film positive. Check back in maybe 6 months to a year - then compare. The ratings will normalize by then and we'll have a more accurate feel for what the public really thinks.

The old I love it too but routine..If its 9.2 on IMDB it only means there are just 9 and 10 scores. If its On rotten tomatoes, there are more 5/5 and 10/10 than say avengers, similar on Metacritic where Avengers had 5 100 scores, TDKR has 10. just an example. And this for a movie which was to be HIGHLY critiqued because of the stupendously high bar TDK set. Edited by Hasan Ahmad

Nolan films, from Insomnia to Inception, have averaged 26% of their grosses from OW. They've been very consistent, and the late July release has always helped, as the competition have been minimal (this year is no different).The legs on TDKR are really the last thing WB should be concerned about.

This is a third film and it is not going to be as well received as the other two Batmans. It won't hit a 3, I will guarantee that.

This has become the most anti-climatic BO run ever since I started following box office. I knew the shootings would affect the movie's OW, but not that it would completely fuck it up. I mean, what the fuck is 161m?! I'm done with TDKR for now.On to the next one: Man of Steel!

Moreover, to put things into perspective: would TDK have grossed $533 mil. if a shooter, dressed as Joker, shot up a theater on the midnight opening? HELL NO.

I have to agree. Whatever legs this may have had have been taken out from under it. When the box-office run of this movie is looked at, it will have the biggest asterisk ever next to it.

Yet somehow we are meant to believe this was because of no joker, ledger death and 'bad' trailers???

Yes. Check my prediction in the summer game that was made in May. 465 mill.

This is a third film and it is not going to be as well received as the other two Batmans. It won't hit a 3, I will guarantee that.

its nearly as well received as TDK and as well received as BB. the only reason I say nearly is that TDK set the bar very high so the critique for TDKR would be more than ever. Also As a movie TDK had just the joker as its advantage, as a movie itself TDKR is superior to TDK, which is only elevated by one performance. Now a low minority might disagree but if you see word of mouth on twitter/facebook/rottentomatoes/imdb/yahoo movies they all agree with what I said. Edited by Hasan Ahmad

The old I love it too but routine..

If its 9.2 on IMDB it only means there are just 9 and 10 scores. If its On rotten tomatoes, there are more 5/5 and 10/10 than say avengers, similar on Metacritic where Avengers had 5 100 scores, TDKR has 10. just an example. And this for a movie which was to be HIGHLY critiqued because of the stupendously high bar TDK set.

I have no idea what you wrote there. Nor did I say I "love it to but". I said I liked it overall and then went into why RT would count that as a positive review, even though I had criticisms.

And that leads to my point. I've read plenty of "positive" reviews on RT that were actually rather scathing of a movie. However, RT considered it an overall positive review. So that makes it yet another "fresh" review, even though there was plenty of criticism. RT has really just two categories - fresh or rotten. And unless the critic gives it a grade or stars, RT will judge whether the review is "fresh" or not. So even a 2.5 star movie could be considered "fresh" even though the critic attacks the film.

As for IMDb, I stand by my comments. The vast majority of those ratings were done BEFORE the movie came out. It's not unusual, I've seen this for every highly anticipated movie. Fans of the series rank the film a 9 or 10 even though they haven't seen it. Hence, early on the film is skewed very high. But once really people start seeing the film, the rating will drop.

• Like 1

its nearly as well received as TDK and as well received as BB. the only reason I say nearly is that TDK set the bar very high so the critique for TDKR would be more than ever. Also As a movie TDK had just the joker as its advantage, as a movie itself TDKR is superior to TDK, which is only elevated by one performance. Now a low minority might disagree but if you see word of mouth on twitter/facebook/rottentomatoes/imdb/yahoo movies they all agree with what I said.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but imo this is not even in the same vernacular as TDK and it was never going to be. It was handcuffed from the beginning. TDK is a miracle in that it imo is one of the most perfect films ever made. TDKR is a mess, plain and simple.
  • Like 1