Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Did I just read people saying batman 89 wasn't hyped up?!?! Lmfao, um what? The summer of 89 is nicknamed "Batmania" and it absolutely destroyed opening weekends at the time. There's still an amount of people who think Jacks joker was better than heaths (disagree there)that movie redefined opening weekends and movie marketing in general (.there was one poster; the golden bat symbol and that's it)infact the combo of bats/joker might be up there with the best box office results ever.The franchise is 2-0 on ow records and domestic number 1's when the joker is involved.

• Like 1

Um, ok? I was just throwing that out there, not trying to follow your conversation.

Ok, apologies. Just seems like everyone's getting on my back for saying Batman 89 was not the most hyped up movie of all time.Is anyone actually going to try and address why it didn't gross as much as The Dark Knight? Edited by tribefan695

Anyone saying "Batman 89" didn't have any hype clearly wasn't alive or old enough to remember. That movie off marketing alone made it the biggest movie of the year. The Batman Symbol was every in 89 from hats, t-shirts, toys and video games. So Yes it had just as much if not more hype than TDK for it's time. OW record broke and it was loved so much that "BR" broke the OW record after. Jack's performance was called genius and NOBODY touched the role for 20 years. Heath did an amazing job but Jack role stood for 20 years, Heath's only 4 and I'm sure the Joker will be rebooted sooner than Jack's. The only reason "Batman Returns" dropped is cause the movie was dark, sexual and mature for Family audiences. "Batman 89" was dark also but it had elements that families didn't mind bringing there kids. "Batman Returns" had a horny Danny Devito saying "That's the pussy I was looking for", are you kidding? Parents were outraged.

• Like 1

Ok, apologies. Just seems like everyone's getting on my back for saying Batman 89 was not the most hyped up movie of all time.Is anyone actually going to try and address why it didn't gross as much as The Dark Knight?

How many theaters did B89 play in compared to TDK, how many screens was it on? How much more do you think B89 might have done if Nicholson had died shortly before the movie released? How much more if there were rumors that getting into the character of the Joker had something to do with it? Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

When it came out it was. I think there's some confusion here.

I'm trying to be diplomatic by not comparing the two movies' opening weekend grosses because moviegoer behavior was a lot different back then. If it really was more hyped than The Dark Knight the overall box office would be more likely to reflect that. Edited by tribefan695

When it came out it was. I think there's some confusion here.

Of all time, means for any time period. Batman '89 while it probably was the most hyped up movie of its time when it was released, its hype has long since been surpassed by movies such as TDK, and TA. So, no Batman '89 isn't the most hyped up movie of all time.

I'd imagine far more kids tickets were sold for B89 too.

Yes, but back in 1989 ticket sales as a whole were a lot higher, and people in general went to a lot more movies, so adjusting below TDK is frankly kinda pathetic for a movie that's supposedly according to some of you the most hyped up movie of all time.

Yes, but back in 1989 ticket sales as a whole were a lot higher, and people in general went to a lot more movies, so adjusting below TDK is frankly kinda pathetic for a movie that's supposedly according to some of you the most hyped up movie of all time.

I never said it was the most hyped movie of all time. And lol at "kinda pathetic".

Batman 89 was huge. It was the most hyped movie since Return Of The Jedi.It was one of those few movies that helped define and create the way movies are released today. (Along with Star Wars, ID4, T2, JP, etc.) It was pretty much the first real big release in the then-new home video market.

How many theaters did B89 play in compared to TDK, how many screens was it on? How much more do you think B89 might have done if Nicholson had died shortly before the movie? How much more if there were rumors that getting into the character of the Joker had something to do with it?

Well, even when it was released it was still nowhere close to the highest grossing movie of all time. If people wanted to see it they found a way.But everything else you say is supporting my original point. There was a whole lot more going for The Dark Knight and its Joker character on its opening weekend and I don't think there would be reason to be disappointed if The Dark Knight Rises' opening couldn't quite outmatch it even if Batman Returns did with the original. Edited by tribefan695

Nicholson playing the Joker was extremely hyped. He was already a 2-time Oscar winner (Nominated 9 Times before Batman for crying out loud) at that point. Fans had issues with Keaton as Batman but Nobody was saying anything about Jack. Matter of fact, Keaton did a great job but it's still considered Jack's movie. Again I love Heath but I've hated some of the revisionist history on Jack's performance that I've been reading online ever since Heath passed and won the Oscar. Heath did a great job but the constant attempts to downplay the Impact of Jack's Joker is B.S., His performance was Legendary.

• Like 1

Of all time, means for any time period. Batman '89 while it probably was the most hyped up movie of its time when it was released, its hype has long since been surpassed by movies such as TDK, and TA. So, no Batman '89 isn't the most hyped up movie of all time.

FINALLY some backup. Thanks. :) Edited by tribefan695

I never said it was the most hyped movie of all time. And lol at "kinda pathetic".

Maybe not you, but some people are claiming that it is. And, I personally don't think it's pathetic in terms of ticket sales, but if it truly is "the most hyped up movie of all time" then yeah, it is.