Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

You underestimate the amount of whining, and begging kids can do.

And the idea that there really are kids that can handle it. Ultimately the Nolan movies really aren't that dark because

they have happy or at least uplifting endings, which is what really matters. I mean, a movie could be all bright unicorns and rainbows for 90% of its runtime, but if it kills off every likable character at the end, it all of a sudden becomes dark.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

There's no doubt the film has plenty of issues, a good chunk of which I spotted. Some are a bit nitpicky though. And by no means are TDK and BB without problems of a similar nature too.

There are plenty in this movie that bothered me though that really brought me out of the zone. The two biggest ones for me were:

How did Bruce get back to Gotham, how did he find Selina, why would he waste his time spraying a building with gasoline so that he could lite the batsymbol and how do they find out about Batman's true identity?

Right or wrong, when you start questioning things like this, i just takes you out of the "zone".

• Like 1

Some I agree with, some I don't. I made a post about the nature of criticising plot holes in the review thread - basically, if you're emotionally engaged most of them are trivial. If you're not then it's easy to see why they could be a problem.

Some good points in that article. Especially:

The part about the poor staging during the Alfred and Bruce conversation at the beginning of the film. Wayne Manor was such a lush backdrop in the previous films but they choose to stage this scene in a drab stairwell that looks like it belongs in a BBC Jane Austen production?

Edited by Adm56
  • Like 1

Ice Age: Continental Drift $20,416,978 -56%Moonrise Kingdom $1,831,471 -51%To Rome with Love $1,400,043 -43%Beasts of the Southern Wild $763,443 -3%Marvel's The Avengers $620,411 -56%The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $416,791 -36%Prometheus $310,395 -68%Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $184,370 -76%I'll try to keep these on the current page, as this thread is going to go fast

Edited by Punishment

There are plenty in this movie that bothered me though that really brought me out of the zone. The two biggest ones for me were:

How did Bruce get back to Gotham, how did he find Selina, why would he waste his time spraying a building with gasoline so that he could lite the batsymbol and how do they find out about Batman's true identity?

Right or wrong, when you start questioning things like this, i just takes you out of the "zone".

I am guessing it was cut it bugged me too. Did it bug you in Avengers how all the Avengers found each other in NYC and they are got to NYC quickly when they where spread far out from each other.

My audience loved the batsymbol part, cheered, and clapped.
  • Like 1

I think most of the items on that SlashFilm list are fairly absurd, especially in terms of the other films. Don't recall seeing bitter geek outrage charts in '05 or '08.

Yes, such as the fact that Bruce ultimately killed a good chunk of people in the League of Shadows fortress, or the Microwave emitter not vaporizing the water in your body, etc. Or in the Dark Knight, how does Joker plant the charges all over these places such as Gotham General? The 5 dead, 2 cops thing is never explained.Plenty of issues in all films. Certainly Rises is the least 'tight' out of the three. But people conveniently ignore how many issues his other films have. What matters is the enjoyment of the experience in the end.

I think most of the items on that SlashFilm list are fairly absurd, especially in terms of the other films. Don't recall seeing bitter geek outrage charts in '05 or '08.

That's your opinion. But I happen to agree with about 10 of them and I mentioned them to Noctis. There are plenty of us who feel this way.
  • Like 1

I am guessing it was cut it bugged me too. Did it bug you in Avengers how all the Avengers found each other in NYC and they are got to NYC quickly when they where spread far out from each other.

Not really. The portal was a great big beacon saying "Go Here!"

• Like 1

And the idea that there really are kids that can handle it. Ultimately the Nolan movies really aren't that dark because

they have happy or at least uplifting endings, which is what really matters

As far as their whining goes...are you their parent or their friend?

Some good points in that article. Especially:

The part about the poor staging during the Alfred and Bruce conversation at the beginning of the film. Wayne Manor was such a lush backdrop in the previous films but they choose to stage this scene in a drab stairwell that looks like it belongs in a BBC Jane Austen production?

Can't agree, I liked the staging there. Alfred was covered in daylight while Bruce was deliberately shrouded in darkness. And actually became darker as the tension rose. Edited by Hatebox

Yes, such as the fact that Bruce ultimately killed a good chunk of people in the League of Shadows fortress, or the Microwave emitter not vaporizing the water in your body, etc. Or in the Dark Knight, how does Joker plant the charges all over these places such as Gotham General? The 5 dead, 2 cops thing is never explained.

Plenty of issues in all films. Certainly Rises is the least 'tight' out of the three. But people conveniently ignore how many issues his other films have. What matters is the enjoyment of the experience in the end.

Not sure if this is Batman Begins or TDKR?

My audience loved the batsymbol part, cheered, and clapped.

And that's why it was put in the film, because it would illicit a reaction like that. But after you think about it for a while, it's beyond absurd.

And these are all issues...but really the first one is the only one of actual plot significance. Bruce was a wanderer for 7 years in Begins, so it isn't implausible for someone like him to get back to the States without identification/money. Sneaking into Gotham is another story, though people were able to make it in from the inside, such as the Special Forces group bringing in supplies. The time thing with the gasoline is admittedly silly just imagining what in God's name is he doing....but of course, it's done for the effect of a cool shot. Nolan is not above that.