Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I have no idea why the media thinks it's so important that it happened at a Batman film. They don't even have to mention Batman in the headlines, they could just say "14 dead in Colorado cinema shooting" or something. Yet the news sites I have visited all say Batman in the headline.

Because people know who Batman is. If this shooying happened at Magic Mike or Savages, it would just be reported as a "movie shooting", because most people wouldn't know those movies.Similarly, if this happened at MIB3, the headline would mention "at Will Smith movie", simply because people know who Will Smith is.

I'll believe the doomsday predictions about box office when I see numbers. I really feel like we overestimate the influence of variables like these.

We're in the eye of the storm, certainly, so it's hard to not let emotions take over from logic.But I still don't see how this doesn't effect walk-ups. It's not even that people think it might happen to them, it's just that the association with Batman and the event may be too much of a downer for some.

I can't help, but think that Western people are very self-centered. There are hundreds of people dying violent deaths in Syria right now, and yet Western media have "batman movie shooting" as their main story.

Because Syria is a far-away place. It's different when it happens at home.

I've already seen at least one news lady bring up a "Batman curse" and connect it to the Ledger tragedy. Of course, she didn't realize that there was also a stuntman who died during filming of TDK so it wasn't just Ledger. No matter how anyone tries to explain it, this thing is just incredibly sad for the victims, their families, and everyone who had to witness it. Unimaginable.

I won't be surprised to see a documentary on this as well.

I'll believe the doomsday predictions about box office when I see numbers. I really feel like we overestimate the influence of variables like these.

I agree. If it happened during the day or there was another suspect still on the loose, this could have been worse. But I don't see any effect since the guy is custody. Changes will definitely be made for theater security even if he broke in but that will come down the line.

These are not the usual doomsday predictions. Some big shit happened. By morning it is going to be everywhere.

God, this is so depressing and hits so close to home because that could have been me. I mean, I'm in SoCal, but to go home to this news...Ugh! And, the people there were just as excited for the film as I was, and, I don't know what to think. :( :( :(

I agree. If it happened during the day or there was another suspect still on the loose, this could have been worse. But I don't see any effect since the guy is custody. Changes will definitely be made for theater security even if he broke in but that will come down the line.

People are panicky and understandably irrational after things like this. Suddenly there's a huge stigma associated with being in a crowded theater this weekend.

I can't help, but think that Western people are very self-centered. There are hundreds of people dying violent deaths in Syria right now, and yet Western media have "batman movie shooting" as their main story.

You cannot identify with every death and tragedy that happen everyday you know.You just can't.Syriens are not different for that matter.

And I'll tell ya: You know how I said this would get a WWW Thread if this was under 170M??? Well, if this happens, I'm withdrawing that from consideration out of just common courtesy.. This is terrible foliks, just terrible.. :sadno:

I don't want to hear it BKB. This is a tragedy. Don't start your shit.

And I'll tell ya: You know how I said this would get a WWW Thread if this was under 170M??? Well, if this happens, I'm withdrawing that from consideration out of just common courtesy.. This is terrible foliks, just terrible.. :sadno:

Good on ya. This is a terrible thing, and discussing the negative effect on the movie from a victorious stand-point would be despicable.

If this never happened and it were to open under 170, I'd be in full agreement with you that it failed. But now...I'd be suprised if it did more than DH2, to be honest...