lilmac

Is Christopher Nolan among the alltime greats?

I said something wrong. I horribly mis-intepreted Spielberg's pre-Jaws filmography. But what I meant mostly that Nolan didn't just get the big budgets like he's getting nowadays.

Recently I watched an interview where he explained that a lot of the creative choices that make Following so great were only chosen because they didn't have much money for the production. Nolan build up nicely from cheap movies to big budgets.

Pretty much all directors have to work towards big budgets. Nolan, Spielberg, Jackson, Raimi, Cameron, Tarantino etc. all started with very little and their creativity allowed them to move forward until they became big names. 

• Like 2

PTA and Fincher are both easily better filmmakers than Nolan, I forgot to mention Fincher (there were quite a few I did forget to mention that were around Nolan's level, I was just giving a summation).  Nolan is a really good (and consistent) director, don't get me wrong, but he's not the second coming that everyone makes him out to be, far from it actually.  Also, just because Nolan has had fairly good consistency lately, it doesn't make him one of the greats, it doesn't mean he'll never be one of the greats, but he has to truly earn it first and he hasn't, none of these directors that we are talking about truly have (Linklater and Fincher are worth discussing if they're some of the greats or not.  They're directors that this thread should be about, not Nolan).  This thread will be much more interesting in ten years or so when Nolan has more to show for than a couple of high concept thrillers, a batman trilogy, and a space epic that received polarizing reception.

Panda, in this paragraph you dismissed many important modern directors for not being great, which is fine. But my question is: what makes a great director to you? Simply saying that "so and so" is good/bad doesn't mean anything without knowing what good even means.

• Like 1

As for the thread. I think the guy has an incredibly creative mind and can craft great stories (Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Inception are great narratives, especially The Dark Knight, which knows exactly how to make each scene more tense than the one that came before). But visually, I'm still unsure about Nolan. His visual technique isn't bad like a lot of people claim, but it is a little unimaginative compared to a lot of directors (for evidence you can read Jim Emerson/AD Jameson).

I'd put Michael Mann, Milos Forman, William Friedkin in the all time greats well before Nolan and I don't think those I mentioned are acknowledged as all time greats either especially Michael Mann whom Nolan has ripped off lifted the style. If you think Nolan belongs to the "all the time greats", those directors must be if not you don't watch enough movies to claim so.

• Like 1

I'd put Michael Mann, Milos Forman, William Friedkin in the all time greats well before Nolan and I don't think those I mentioned are acknowledged as all time greats either especially Michael Mann whom Nolan has ripped off lifted the style. If you think Nolan belongs to the "all the time greats", those directors must be if not you don't watch enough movies to claim so.

Everyone that I've ever talked to considers Forman great, and a decent amount consider Mann great.

No.

But that doesn't mean he won't ever be. He has an impressive filmography, even when taking out the TDK trilogy, but its still too early. That's like already calling JLaw one of the great actresses. She's still got a lot career left, and so does Nolan.

He's off to a good start but still a pretty young guy. Just have to see how it goes over the next 30 years.

Imo

- Better Female roles

- Less need to over complicate climaxes of films (TDKR and IS )

He will be Golden. 

Panda, in this paragraph you dismissed many important modern directors for not being great, which is fine. But my question is: what makes a great director to you? Simply saying that "so and so" is good/bad doesn't mean anything without knowing what good even means.

I didn't say they weren't great. But none of them are amoung the greats. Big difference.

I think the discussion is more interesting if you talk about Nolan contemporaries, Nolan is 45 so the directors around 50.

Mann, Forman and Friedkin are from an other age but they are of course great in their own right.

Edited by The Futurist

Michael Mann

Thief

The Keep

Manhunter

Last of the Mohicans

Heat

The Insider

Ali

Collateral

Miami Vice

Public Enemies

Blackhat

Christopher Nolan

The Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar

There is no question IMO who comes out on top.....by a mile.

• Like 1