Punishment

7/20-22 Weekend Actuals TDKR 160,887,295

It's stunning how close the 20% increase is to my predictions for every movie.

Yup, a pretty clear indicator of the negative impact the shootings had on the whole weekend, across the board. But especially its effects on TDKR were a damn shame.

Here were the final numbers for the weekend. I know it's a little late, but I didn't work last night and didn't feel like going up there to get them.

MOVIE MIDNIGHTS Friday Saturday Sunday Totals IM

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 1195 2080 2184 2115 7574 2.31
+/-     -0.33 -0.03    
THE AVENGERS 731 2351 3006 2726 8814 2.86
+/-     -0.02 -0.09    
THE HUNGER GAMES 1201 1984 2928 2231 8344 2.62
+/-     -0.08 -0.24  
  • Like 3

I think its runtime will hurt it a lot on weekdays when the 18 and older demographic is working. From the posts on Twitter, it sounds like quite a few teenagers are being forced to skip the film by their parents because of paranoia or whatever other reasons the parents might have (boycotting it perhaps?).

• Like 1

"Are Sundays usually a lot stronger in Canada?"Not sure but TA and TDKR did really well on SundayFilms are leggy in Canada.DH2 got over a 3.3X multiplierAvatar got like a 15-16X mutlipler.TA is a big unknown in Canada but I remember RTH saying it fell below 50% 2nd weekend and stayed flat on its third weekend.

Not sure if RTH meant it stayed flat over the 3 days or 4 but whatever.It likley made around 60 million here...DH2 multiplier gets it over 50 for crying out loud lol :D

Edited by Lordmandeep

Not sure if RTH meant it stayed flat over the 3 days or 4 but whatever.It likley made around 60 million here...DH2 multiplier gets it over 50 for crying out loud lol :D

Could it've gotten to 70million, or am I just delusional?

thing is we have no idea as tracking stooped last year...We get year end figures in Canadian newspaper.The film was doing well well past Victoria Day really..Even when MIb3 released it held up well.60+ million would make it the biggest film after Avatar and Titanic (duh!)lol

Edited by Lordmandeep

Easily the worst weekend in box office history. Every movie did horribly.

I'm sure there's been a weekend in April or September that would have loved to have these numbers.
  • Like 2