CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

This is the movie where the answer to this question will be revelead: does the story of Gru and the little girls matter or people just buy the ticket for the Minions?

• Like 2

So the Minions will be going head to head with The Hobbit?

Fascinating! That could be one of the most interesting box office battles of all time.

Yup. I think that if DoS only manages a TH1 performance then WB will move TH3 up a week to avoid Minions. 

I don't think so. Not if both are big. 

Avatar/Alvin. Avatar made 700M+ and Alvin made 200M+ So with the Hobbit making appox 350M less, can't Minions make 200-250M?

Edited by Neo

Avatar/Alvin. Avatar made 700M+ and Alvin made 200M+ So with the Hobbit making appox 350M less, can't Minions make 200-250M?

Well that was different. Avatar and Alvin were on 2 different weeks. Avatar's 2nd week was Alvin's 1st week. I think in the end one of them will end up moving to Christmas Day or 12 Decembre.

Well that was different. Avatar and Alvin were on 2 different weeks. Avatar's 2nd week was Alvin's 1st week. I think in the end one of them will end up moving to Christmas Day or 12 Decembre.

Dec 2007 IAL/Alvin

Dec 2009 SH/Alvin II

Dec 2007 IAL/Alvin

Dec 2009 SH/Alvin II

Those are smaller movies. I don't see either Minions or TH3 doing anything less than 275M. TH3 probably will do 350M+ possibly 400+. Minions also has serious 300M potential. 

Those are smaller movies. I don't see either Minions or TH3 doing anything less than 275M. TH3 probably will do 350M+ possibly 400+. Minions also has serious 300M potential. 

IAL had terrible holds, should have done 300M+ Back to SH had Avatar, which I already brought up. Minions will be big, but 300M? PiB fell over 50% from S3 I can see a 30-40% drop for Minions.

IAL had terrible holds, should have done 300M+ Back to SH had Avatar, which I already brought up. Minions will be big, but 300M? PiB fell over 50% from S3 I can see a 30-40% drop for Minions.

I think that the Minions are so much more popular than Puss was though. Especially when the popularity of Gru and Shrek + Donkey are factored in. The Minions are probably contributing to most of DM2's explosion and DM's legs. 

Actually, it was Avatar/Sherlock Holmes/Alvin.

Avatar's second weekend was over Christmas and saw a miniscule 1.8% drop from the weekend prior.  It made $75.6M.  Sherlock Holmes opened to $62.3M and Alvin, which had technically opened the Wednesday prior, made $48.9M.  This was a record weekend at the time. 

All three films broke $200M, with Avatar clearly going on to far greater heights.  But it shows that the marketplace can expand when the movies warrant it.  Furthermore, those three films opened in 2009, arguably the height of the economic downturn.  While one might argue that this was the holiday season, Minions and TH3 are also during the holidays. Therefore, I think both will do very well.

Also, Sandra Bullock is set to have a voice role.  This suggests that there is dialogue. The premise is that the minions serve an "evil overlord".  This is why they worked happily for Gru (of course, they also seem to have a soft side, but I digress).  Bullock's character wants to be the first female super-villian.  In a way, I guess it makes this more of a prequel.