CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

So?

So...DM2 would have either broken or come close to breaking the animated record had it opened on a Friday. If this is already outperforming DM2 in OS markets, it's a good indicator of what might happen DOM. This franchise is massive. People doubted DM2 too and ate a lot of crow there. I wouldn't make that mistake again if I was you. Especially since this is the third movie, and the third movie is when OWs tend to peak for big animated franchises (TS, Shrek, Madagascar).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

So...DM2 would have either broken or come close to breaking the animated record had it opened on a Friday. If this is already outperforming DM2 in OS markets, it's a good indicator of what might happen DOM. This franchise is massive. People doubted DM2 too and ate a lot of crow there. I wouldn't make that mistake again if I was you. Especially since this is the third movie, and the third movie is when OWs tend to peak for big animated franchises (TS, Shrek, Madagascar).

Let me tell you that DM2 is what got to follow box office, I know very well what it did.

I think this will decrease as the sequel to a Juggernaut film, which increased significantly from its predecessor and is losing 4 of its key characters.

True...

I think Shrek 2 has kept its #1 animated DOM record for very long now.

If something can challenge that movie...it would be Minions.

Let me tell you that DM2 is what got to follow box office, I know very well what it did.

I think this will decrease as the sequel to a Juggernaut film, which increased significantly from its predecessor and is losing 4 of its key characters.

DM2 wasn't such a juggernaut that it has no room to grow. It wasn't like Shrek 2 for example. There's definitely room for the franchise to keep going and hit the 400 threshold this time. And the Minions have fueled those movie's success. The other characters were just along for the ride while the Minions put actual butts in the seats. Btw, have you even been in a theater full of kids when one of the Minions trailers plays? The reactions are MASSIVE every time I have.

• Like 3

I think there is potential for minions to grow over DM2. I mean it certainly isn't losing anything by removing the primary characters since people pretty much only cared about the minions. Not saying it's a lock but I get the feeling there is still room to grow with the franchise that could take minions to a higher level

• Like 1

DM2 wasn't such a juggernaut that it has no room to grow. It wasn't like Shrek 2 for example. There's definitely room for the franchise to keep going and hit the 400 threshold this time. And the Minions have fueled those movie's success. The other characters were just along for the ride while the Minions put actual butts in the seats. Btw, have you even been in a theater full of kids when one of the Minions trailers plays? The reactions are MASSIVE every time I have.

Yep seen JP4 twice and the Minions trailer gets huge reaction from the audience. Trailer reaction is not always a good indicator for comedies (see The Change Up flop after great trailer reactions), but the Minions have proven themselves to be a merchandising and marketing juggernaut. I think $400m domestic will happen for this one.

• Like 3

This film is currently sitting at a less than stellar 68% and 65% on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic respectively.  I understand that films such as Minions are not going to get run over by unenthusiastic reviews from critics but at the same time, I'm not sure parents are going to be happy about joining their kids to see a movie that repeats the same plot sequence all over again: this is not Tom and Jerry. 

This film is currently sitting at a less than stellar 68% and 65% on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic respectively.  I understand that films such as Minions are not going to get run over by unenthusiastic reviews from critics but at the same time, I'm not sure parents are going to be happy about joining their kids to see a movie that repeats the same plot sequence all over again: this is not Tom and Jerry. 

Parents don't have much of a choice. If their kid really wants to see the movie, they're going to see the movie. Not like they can pull the "it's too scary for you" routine that I saw at my local theater last weekend when a little kid was begging his mother to let him watch JP4.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

Parents don't have much of a choice. If their kid really wants to see the movie, they're going to see the movie. Not like they can pull the "it's too scary for you" routine that I saw at my local theater last weekend when a little kid was begging his mother to let him watch JP4.

My parents must be really different! :D 

• Like 1

True...

I think Shrek 2 has kept its #1 animated DOM record for very long now.

If something can challenge that movie...it would be Minions.

I guess it has a chance, but Dory has a better one IMO.
  • Like 1