CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Actually, it was Avatar/Sherlock Holmes/Alvin.

Avatar's second weekend was over Christmas and saw a miniscule 1.8% drop from the weekend prior.  It made $75.6M.  Sherlock Holmes opened to $62.3M and Alvin, which had technically opened the Wednesday prior, made $48.9M.  This was a record weekend at the time. 

All three films broke $200M, with Avatar clearly going on to far greater heights.  But it shows that the marketplace can expand when the movies warrant it.  Furthermore, those three films opened in 2009, arguably the height of the economic downturn.  While one might argue that this was the holiday season, Minions and TH3 are also during the holidays. Therefore, I think both will do very well.

Also, Sandra Bullock is set to have a voice role.  This suggests that there is dialogue. The premise is that the minions serve an "evil overlord".  This is why they worked happily for Gru (of course, they also seem to have a soft side, but I digress).  Bullock's character wants to be the first female super-villian.  In a way, I guess it makes this more of a prequel.

Now I know, that is why I gave 2 different examples.

Avatar was a once in a generation type run.  Nobody's expecting another Hobbit film to have that kind of run. 

No is saying that it will. Point is you can have 2 big movies (live-action/animated) in the same week(s). 

I'm really not sure about this. All minions for 90 - 110 minutes?

This is a prequel about how minions were created. There will be a character with the voice of Sandra Bullock and she will be the Minion's boss. They will lose that job, but someone else will hire them. That someone else is Gru. Movie ends. Most likely is something like this.

This is a prequel about how minions were created. There will be a character with the voice of Sandra Bullock and she will be the Minion's boss. They will lose that job, but someone else will hire them. That someone else is Gru. Movie ends. Most likely is something like this.

lol that is a movie? Ha ha.

• Like 1