CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Also, it's hard to compare movies and their runs from year to year or decade to decade. The thing is, if you look at Frozen and Minions, most of the European markets Minions finished first, Frozen finished VERY close behind. For example, Frozen was the number 1 movie in France for 2013, but it was a down year in France for Box Office. It might have finished higher in a different year. It finished in France with 47 million.

I can't find Minions France numbers. Last I saw it was at 44 million. I'm sure it's higher than that now. MinaTakla do you have that number?

Frozen was a completely unknown commodity, so to,finish relatively close in most European markets to Minions is unbelievable. Then, in the more sophisticated animated markets where it isn't quite so necessary to be a sequel, it hugely outperformed Minions.

Final gross doesn't always tell the story of which movie has a more impressive box office run.

For example, I have thought all summer that IO box office run is more impressive than Minions. However, Minions OS run has been so impressive now, that I think their runs are both about equal and both incredibly impressive.

However, IMHO, neither run compares to the run of Frozen.

Don't forget Frozen still would have made it over 1 billion without Japan.

Think about that number for an original animated film. It's astonishing.

You're STILL at this?

Go ask any studio executive or filmmaker if $800 million on a $175 million production cost is equal to and as impressive as $1.1 billion+ on a $74 million production cost.

• Like 3

BOOM!

MINIONS: $800.7M Overseas Total / $1.134B Global Total #Minions

MINIONS is now the second animated film in history to hit 800 million OS! The only other animated film that achieved this is FROZEN in 2013.

The film is now the 10th highest grossing film worldwide of all time! 

Go Illumination!!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Pixar loonies can always be counted on to try to minimize the accomplishments of another animated film that did well.

Oh not just well, Baumer. It made more than ANY film made by PIXAR. In its entire history.

And the hate continues. Go to the OS thread and see the fun!

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

You're STILL at this?

Go ask any studio executive or filmmaker if $800 million on a $175 million production cost is equal to and as impressive as $1.1 billion+ on a $74 million production cost.

First: IO still have to open in one big country (Germany) and one huge country (China). IO just had last week the biggest OW for a Pixar movie in Italy, so that's more money coming from overseas holdovers. IO has at least one million left in the US.

Second: Minion's marketing budget was far higher than Inside Out's, so they cancel each other out.

Third: go ask any executive which one will have more staying power, which one will more successful down the line.

Last, but not least, Minions is a sequel, IO is not.

• Like 1

The Despicable Me franchise is far from over. It will have incredible staying power (which it has been enjoying since 2010).

IO's success doesn't diminish Minions' bigger financial success and bigger box office gross.

Minions' success doesn't diminish IO's achievement as an original film that will cross 800m. 

I do like Minions but just because it has outgrossed Pixar films doesn't mean that Illumination is now top dog, three of the five films they've released are from the same franchise and not every film is going to be $1bn grosser, hell, not every film is going to be a $500m grosser, I know people keep going on about The Secret Life of Pets but I'm not sure if it's going to gross $200m+ domestic in a packed July and even WW it's going to struggle against Ice Age and Dory.

• Like 1

I do like Minions but just because it has outgrossed Pixar films doesn't mean that Illumination is now top dog, three of the five films they've released are from the same franchise and not every film is going to be $1bn grosser, hell, not every film is going to be a $500m grosser, I know people keep going on about The Secret Life of Pets but I'm not sure if it's going to gross $200m+ domestic in a packed July and even WW it's going to struggle against Ice Age and Dory.

This. Hop didn't cross 200M and while Lorax was a modest hit it did nothing special box office wise. Illumination still needs to prove they can make hits not named Despicable Me or Minions. Pets should do really well WW IMO.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. We get it. You said that many times before.

And you're right. It is a big gamble for Pets and what's gonna happen to it.

But I have respectfully need to say that you can be wrong on one thing....there is a thing called "Co-existing". If both movies do well in their own way, the less likely that one movie can cannibalize the other completely.

And also...China. There's no telling how much exactly it will do over there. But I think that could be enough to make it just a big hit WW.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

This. Hop didn't cross 200M and while Lorax was a modest hit it did nothing special box office wise. Illumination still needs to prove they can make hits not named Despicable Me or Minions. Pets should do really well WW IMO.

I think Dory and Ice Age will prevent Pets from breaking out OS since both films combined are at least $1bn and there are a lot more family films in 2016 than there were this year

I think Dory and Ice Age will prevent Pets from breaking out OS since both films combined are at least $1bn and there are a lot more family films in 2016 than there were this year

As long as Pets does well in it's first week OS it'll do fine. 500M WW/Despicable Me numbers are probably the target for this.

• Like 1

But I have respectfully need to say that you can be wrong on one thing....there is a thing called "Co-existing". If both movies do well in their own way, the less likely that one movie can cannibalize the other completely.

And also...China. There's no telling how much exactly it will do over there. But I think that could be enough to make it just a big hit WW.

And the best example of co-exisiting that people choose to ignore is..Minions and IO.

Look no further!

• Like 2

Minions and IO were anomalies and given the lack of kids films this year meant both could co-exist. 2016 has a lot more family films in comparison, that's why I don't see a break out and China is a growing market but it's not a guarantee that it'll get a Chinese release and other family films will be released in China as well.

Minions and IO were anomalies and given the lack of kids films this year meant both could co-exist. 2016 has a lot more family films in comparison, that's why I don't see a break out and China is a growing market but it's not a guarantee that it'll get a Chinese release and other family films will be released in China as well.

I know, i know...but we can't be exactly right on Pets succeeding or not. We have no clear idea. Many people thought DW's Home wouldn't break-out as well.....yet look how that one turned out.

And these last few posts are a true microcosm of the insecurities of Pixar loonies. So typical.

I'm not even a Pixar loonie, I was just agreeing with what Jonwo had to say. Illumination still needs to prove they can make non-DM hits. I despise the DM franchise but Minions was a very good success WW.

• Like 2