CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

Yeah, but (spoiler alert) the thing is with Frozen 2 is that movie won't do as well as the first one and could end up overpredicted. I feel like Frozen 2 could end up as the needless sequel that not many people asked for.

Unlike Finding Dory, there's no way Frozen 2 could beat or be close along the movies like JW, FF7, TA1, TA2: AOU, HP:DH2.

I think that movie could end up massively overpredicted by some people. Either half of what the first Frozen made or lower. Frozen was a one-off.

I don't agree with either the Minions hate or Frozen hate. But you can't say that DM3 is a surefire billion dollar hit while at the same time saying Frozen 2 will make only half of the original because that was a one-off. That's just a biased statement. Minions alone shows that a movie can be hated but still make a ton of money just based on the sequel factor. It doesn't even matter if some people hate Frozen since its existing fan base (sales alone prove this) pretty much guarantees it will be a huge hit. 

• Like 2

I don't agree with either the Minions hate or Frozen hate. But you can't say that DM3 is a surefire billion dollar hit while at the same time saying Frozen 2 will make only half of the original because that was a one-off. That's just a biased statement. Minions alone shows that a movie can be hated but still make a ton of money just based on the sequel factor. It doesn't even matter if some people hate Frozen since its existing fan base (sales alone prove this) pretty much guarantees it will be a huge hit.

True. But I think Frozen 2 gives me a similar vibe to something like TA2: AOU. It could be huge, just not as huge as it's predecessor. If it happens and if it's just good, it could do $310-320M DOM and $1B WW, but if it entirely sucks for people, it won't do those numbers. That's what worries me. If it isn't good or necessary enough. I'm not saying it's gonna do badly, box office-wise....I just don't know if it's gonna get as huge as the first one.

I would like to see a Frozen 2, of course. But i don't know if sequels to animated films from Disney has that good of a reputation. With DW, Illumination, Pixar, Sony & Blue-Sky handling their sequels....they work better because they have always released their sequels in theaters and always and they focuse on how a sequel should be treated theatrically. Disney on the other hand, had mostly done "direct to video" sequels to their predecessors, well with the exception of Peter Pan 2, Jungle Book 2 & Rescuers: Down Under (The 3 only actual theatrical sequels from Disney). And that's what also raises concern for some people. And.....TBH...i would rather want to see a sequel to Wreck It Ralph. That is more open to many possibilities.

So that's was my talk on Frozen 2. Let's drop that now. Let's talk about Minions. :P

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

Interesting! Could there be either a DM4 or Minions 2??

Illumination Entertainment has staked out three July dates for three of its untitled franchise titles with Universal. The first film will open on Friday, July 13, 2018; the second on Wednesday, July 3, 2019 and the third one on Friday, July 10, 2020. This summer, the animation studio’s Despicable Me spinoff made a whopping $1.15 billion worldwide, making it the highest-grossing title in the franchise. The next Uni/Illumination release is The Secret Life Of Pets on July 8 next year co-directed by Chris Renaud and Yarrow Cheney and featuring an all-star voice cast of Kevin Hart, Lake Bell, Eric Stonestreet, Albert Brooks, Louis C.K., Dana Carvey, Ellie Kemper, Jenny Slate, Bobby Moynihan, Hannibal Buress among others. In a statement, Uni teased, “The upcoming entries will be full of the sweet-yet-subversive humor, relatable characters and innovative visuals that have come to be expected from the makers of the beloved Despicable Me franchise.”

DEADLINE

• Like 1

Hmm well we know none of those will be Grinch.

I can't see how Minions 2 could work. Minions 1 directly ties into DM1.

But I have a feeling someone within Illumination Entertainment is thinking some kind of bullshit idea up.

Yeah, Minions was built around the idea "See where they were before Gru!"
  • Like 1

With animation, you can do pretty much what you want because characters don't age.  They could have an interquel between any of the DM movies with the Minions doing minions thing without messing up with the overall storyline.  I mean it could be a story about the minions chasing a tumbleweed for 2 hours and people would flock to the theaters...This is not a slight on the minions, it means they are just that popular. 

As for predictions on future movies, people need to remember that animation movies don't behave like live action movies.  There's a "ceiling"  at the moment which stands  around 400-450M.  Adjusting Shrek 2 or Finding Nemo to today's dollar also doesn't work.  Animation movies in 2003 and 2004 were not as common as today.  There is a lot more competition these days where you can get at least 6 big production animation movies and 6 mid size movies during the off season while you would get 3 big production movies and 3-5 mid size or classic animation movies in 2003-2004.

I'm not saying no animation movies will hit 500M, just that current animation movies blockbusters peak at 350-425M in the last 4-5 years.  If Frozen follows the pattern of DM-DM2, it could rise as much as 40% up to 550M.  The HV sales certainly points to an increase which proved right for DM2 and Shrek 2, but proved wrong for Cars 2 and mostly Happy Feet 2.

I don't see either DM3 or Frozen 2 dropping below 300M, but I on the flip side, while Frozen 2 could rise as high as 550M, DM3 probably won't break 400M.

I won't comment in WW BO as there's way too many variables to properly predict something. 

• Like 4

Yep, Lion King was way bigger than both Shrek 2 & Nemo.

Different eras.

Superhero movies will suffer the same fate.

Dark Knight & Avengers grosses/attendance will probably remain dreams studios will keep running after.

I'm not saying no animation movies will hit 500M, just that current animation movies blockbusters peak at 350-425M in the last 4-5 years.

There's nothing new about that. Five animated movies have ever made more than 425M adjusted in a single theatrical run, and two have made more than 500M. With the exception of those few outliers, your 350-425 range has been pretty much the (inflation-adjusted) norm for animated blockbusters (i.e. good Disney, Pixar, Shrek, and Despicable Me sequels) for the last 20 years.

28juszb.png

Comcast Says 'Minions' Is Universal's Most Profitable Movie Ever

"Minions," the animated summer film starring three yellow creatures that don't speak a discernible language, is the most profitable film in Universal Pictures' history.

Steve Burke, chief executive officer of Comcast Corp.'s NBC Universal division, told employees in a memo Wednesday that the picture was among three movies that each grossed more than $1 billion worldwide in 2015. That was also a first, he said.

The memo underscores the success of Universal's relationship with Chris Meledandri, whose Illumination Entertainment produced all three "Despicable Me" pictures. He uses animators in France and is known for delivering films at a lower cost than competitors.

"Minions," which hit theaters July 10, took in $1.16 billion in worldwide ticket sales on a production budget of $74 million, according to researcher Box Office Mojo. Universal led the box office for the first time since at least 2000, buoyed by three megahits: "Jurassic World," "Furious 7" and "Minions."

Universal declined to comment on the memo.

Mr. Burke has previously said that 2013's "Despicable Me 2" was the company's most profitable ever.

• Like 1

On ‎2015‎-‎10‎-‎13 at 8:49 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah, a much awaited sequel to everyone's beloved childhood movie beating an original movie is nowhere as impressive. And Frozen 2 is on the horizon anyhoo. :D 

On ‎2015‎-‎10‎-‎13 at 0:38 PM, Spidey Freak said:

If it's a one-off, then why is it such a merchandising blitz, with higher revenue than Minions merch? And why are the DVD/Blu-Ray sales record smashing if people are done with it.? Tellingly, the soundtrack is a monstrous success too. Face it, if the songs alone are anywhere as good as its predecessor, then Frozen 2 overtaking it is a pretty safe bet.

I don't think you know about the thing of "novelty". Some mass blockbusters has had a novelty of their own. Avengers 1 had a novelty, Star Wars: Force Awakens had a novelty and Frozen had a novelty. So trying to say that Frozen 2 will repeat the same as the first one....is way impossible and doubtful. It's just your fanboy talk of wishing Frozen 2 to be bigger because it's Frozen....duh...whatever, i don't care.

Frozen has bumped down to 9th place WW....and there's more movies to bump it down soon. Deal with it.