CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

You are just killing me your Olympics nonsense.Did you know what happened 4 years ago when TDK was released ???

Yup, a deflated 2nd weekend. Sure, TDK made $75.1m but if you look at the relatively small 41.1% Friday increase, and 21.7% Saturday increase you can't help but think that the Olympics had some effect.

Now you're just acting a complete prick for some reason. Would you just stop lying, that is really unheard of in a box office forum. Not sure if you were taught how to read at school, but all of my post clearly state that I do not wish to quantify the number and I wish to ignore all the previous predictions and take the numbers as they are. We don't use the tragedy as shield for anything, because there's nothing that we need to hide or be disappointed about other than the fact that the media just wouldn't STFU about the shooting. I have said many times, it's quite arrogant to call well established authors delusional including this site's publishers. You mentioned clear evidence for sub-500m all along. I'm still waiting for you to share them.

I'm sorry but all your posts do not clearly state that sentiment. Your telling me that now but I responded originally because you (among others) were stating that it was clear that TDKR was locked for $500m without the tragedy, when in fact it may fall well short of that now. My post was simply stating that if it does fall well short it can not be solely attributed to the tragedy, and doing so is using it to mask the fact that it failed to meet your expectations. The film itself will start to stand on its own in the next week or so. Like I said people live their lives, these things don't affect them forever.

We all know you had huge $200m+ OW expectations and I believe even 600m+ total expectations for the movie so it only makes sense that you would be very disappointed right now with its performance. But take some responsibility yourself in the signs that were there all along that it might not meet those expectations (and there were signs). Like I said many have listed the reasons for months, but if you want a very brief shortlist: underwhelming marketing and trailers, no great iconic villain like Joker, no boost from Ledger's death TDK got, third installments almost always drop off after huge second ones, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm insulting you or anyone else, but I guess I'm just overly sensitive about the issue right now of anyone using the tragedy in a way that seems inappropriate, and that's what it's coming off as to me. I think you should accept the fact that yes the tragedy affected TDKR, but it was obviously not going to live up to your monumental expectations either way. And like I said, if it was destined for 500m then we should see some good legs that get it to $460m so at the very least.

• Like 7

Yup, a deflated 2nd weekend. Sure, TDK made $75.1m but if you look at the relatively small 41.1% Friday increase, and 21.7% Saturday increase you can't help but think that the Olympics had some effect.

lol It was frontloading effect, not Olympics.

The media is profiting off the Aurora shooting so I'm sure they want to exploit it anyway they can.

However, this is a tradegy and one must always think about real life before fiction entertainment. Before the shootings, I really wanted this movie to hit $200m+. All that matters now is that we pray and give our sympathy for the family and friends of the ones who died.

Of course, one can make the argument that this is a Box Office forum and people can still give their opinions, tradegy or not. Just don't put the incident in the wrong context.

However

Agreed. It kind of annoys me when people talk about wanting the media to just STFU or something. This is a major tragedy that affects a lot of people. In reality it's far more important than any movie could ever be. I agree that they should stop linking TDKR with the shooting, but they have every right to be covering the incident so much. It's a big deal and it's important we don't just quickly forget the victims and people affected by this. If the media covers entertainment 24/7 and we don't complain, why do we when something real and important is happening?

No Heath argument completely dies when you look at the Australia opening

Actually no it doesn't. That's like saying John Candy's Wagon's East should make a shit load of money in Canada because he's Canadian. One has nothing to do with the other. Do Mel Gibson movies make more money in Australia than anywhere else? Do Kidman's? Did the Ring 2 make a pile of money in Australia?

No Heath argument completely dies when you look at the Australia opening

Except it doesn't when you look at OS expansion in the last 4-5 years. All foreign territories, including ones like Australia have gotten so much bigger and added so many more theaters in the time frame since TDK came out. Not to mention Batman wasn't big at all in most foreign territories like Australia when TDK came out. TDK made it big. TDKR is reaping the benefits of that now on its foreign OWs.
  • Like 3

This is a major tragedy that affects a lot of people. In reality it's far more important than any movie could ever be. I agree that they should stop linking TDKR with the shooting, but they have every right to be covering the incident so much.

I dunno. Every day in America 34 people get murdered with guns. It's a violent country. Should the media report on them as well?

Everyone needs to stop hoping for TDK Holds, it's not happening. It's already 2.5 Million behind and the gap will widen. I'll take 19.5 but I just hope it holds better through the week.

Edited by filmscholar

I dunno. Every day in America 34 people get murdered with guns. It's a violent country. Should the media report on them as well?

Yes, they should.
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but all your posts do not clearly state that sentiment. Your telling me that now but I responded originally because you (among others) were stating that it was clear that TDKR was locked for $500m without the tragedy, when in fact it may fall well short of that now. My post was simply stating that if it does fall well short it can not be solely attributed to the tragedy, and doing so is using it to mask the fact that it failed to meet your expectations. The film itself will start to stand on its own in the next week or so. Like I said people live their lives, these things don't affect them forever.

We all know you had huge $200m+ OW expectations and I believe even 600m+ total expectations for the movie so it only makes sense that you would be very disappointed right now with its performance. But take some responsibility yourself in the signs that were there all along that it might not meet those expectations (and there were signs). Like I said many have listed the reasons for months, but if you want a very brief shortlist: underwhelming marketing and trailers, no great iconic villain like Joker, no boost from Ledger's death TDK got, third installments almost always drop off after huge second ones, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm insulting you or anyone else, but I guess I'm just overly sensitive about the issue right now of anyone using the tragedy in a way that seems inappropriate, and that's what it's coming off as to me. I think you should accept the fact that yes the tragedy affected TDKR, but it was obviously not going to live up to your monumental expectations either way. And like I said, if it was destined for 500m then we should see some good legs that get it to $460m so at the very least.

HA! You wasted your time with that post. There's dozens of posters on this board who still believe a 200M OW and 600M+ gross could have happened. No amount of logical thinking will pursuade them otherwise. And if you disagree with them....they will insult you for being so stupid and ignorant. It's apparent that many of them are more dissappointed about the box office gross than the actual tragedy that happened....although none of them would admit that. Really quite sad.
  • Like 1

You can't read my man. I said many times that we can't claim success or disappointment regarding TDKR. I'm certainly not have any of those feelings, because box office is secondary issue. It's far more important to restore the cinema's pure and innocent status. Read my eulogy in the 200m thread. You're chatting shit again and you're WRONG in every possible way. Underwhelming marketing? I'm sure that's why BO and BOM and many high-profile industry analysts predicted 200m. You did call them delusional. You state your prediction as the melting pit, which is a sign of arrogance. The trailer had great response, especially the Nokia one. The Heath argument were put to bed for once and for all after the UK and OZ numbers made it clear that you guys were wrong all along. Heath's brilliant performance clearly helped TDKR. Third installment always drop huge? Well this is clearly not the case with TDKR if you take a look at the international numbers. You need to look a the markets where TDK overperformed and follow the comparison with TDKR. Unfortunately when it comes to the US box office, there's no comparison in this situation, so whatever is happening the upcoming weeks, I take the number as it. I suggest you to do the same and forget about previous predictions. This is not an usual situation and you know it.

The difference between you and me that you're arrogant to call people's 200m prediction delusional, when we don't know what would have happened, whereas I don't claim that it definitely would have, I simply say that we don't know. That is the fact.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

Are we still expecting a 1 billion worldwide total?

I think it is possible. It would really have to exceed expectations in some foreign markets to make up for the 50 mill or so less it will make in NA, but it is possible.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

Will never not be funny.Really cool of Bale to go visit the injured people in hospital and doing it quietly and privately was the right thing to do.
  • Like 1