baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

And I don't know one person who loved it as much as TDK. I can read reviews on line where people loved it and I'm not denying that there are a lot of people who do love it. But there are enough people out there that found it too dark and somber and void of fun. So it is having an effect. You can't honestly believe Shawn that a 76% drop from OD until today is strictly because are afraid to go sit in a theater.

Exactly. Most who saw DH2 loved that film, too. The issue is not how much fanboys like it, but what the GA thinks of it. TDKR looks to have burned off a ton of its demand in the first week.IThere is no way I am buying that the shooting is trashing the second weekend. That was already factored in for weekend number 1. So, bad drops now are indicative of something else.
  • Like 1

Exactly. Most who saw DH2 loved that film, too. The issue is not how much fanboys like it, but what the GA thinks of it. TDKR looks to have burned off a ton of its demand in the first week.IThere is no way I am buying that the shooting is trashing the second weekend. That was already factored in for weekend number 1. So, bad drops now are indicative of something else.

The Olympics?

I hope they don't reboot it very soon. Leave Batman alone until after the decade's over at least. I know they need money and stuff, but... seriously?

The best adaptation of Batman is the Animated Series. There is a ton of potential in adapting that TV show for live action.
  • Like 1

There is a lot of potential with Batman, moreso than any other superhero character. Key is hiring the right people. I just hope they don't copy the formulaic Marvel Universe. I didn't buy for one second that Tony would die in Avengers because they were making IM3 at the exact same time that I was watching the Avengers. The crossover "universe" storytelling kills the individual movie's storytelling if everything has to tie in. I'm sure WB will try to copy it, and if they do I'm sure it will not turn out very well. What they should be trying to do is create a live action version of Batman: The Animated Series.

I STRONGLY disagree with this. The key to Marvel's strategy IMO is that one bad movie doesn't bring the whole house of cards down. If Batman reboots and the first one sucks he's done for awhile.

Am I the only person who's getting tired of the excuses? Yes the shooting effected the movie, but not nearly enough to remove 100-200 million dollars from its gross.Realistically speaking, anyone scared to go see the movie during the first weekend would go the second weekend or the third weekend. In the end, the total gross would be only marginally effected.And considering how most of the movies this weekend (specially the family/kid movies) are projected to have a fall of between 30-45%, even with the Olympics, I'd wager that not that many people are scared to go to the movies.*Also, hello everyone :D

Edited by Dark Prince
  • Like 3

The best adaptation of Batman is the Animated Series. There is a ton of potential in adapting that TV show for live action.

It's not about that, I just don't want another reboot. Hollywood is getting far too reliant on them, why can't they find something else to adapt? They should take some risks.

It's trashing the entire box office not only TDKR. No one wants to go to the theaters in general.

I STRONGLY disagree with this. The key to Marvel's strategy IMO is that one bad movie doesn't bring the whole house of cards down. If Batman reboots and the first one sucks he's done for awhile.

You can strongly disagree all you want, it doesn't change the fact that the climax of Avengers was hurt by the crossover with IM3. They hurt their own storytelling in that situation, and the more movies they make the more it will take its toll on the storytelling. I want a great version of Batman, not a formulaic one that is attempting to tie in with other stuff. A great version of Batman requires ignoring Justice League and simply focusing on the strengths of Batman mythology. The Animated Series absolutely nailed it. It's dark, yet adventurous. Adults and kids can both enjoy it. It doesn't delve into the grotesque or camp like Burton or Schumacher, nor does it go completely bleak like Nolan. It focuses heavily on Batman's strength as the world's greatest detective, something that Burton, Schumacher, and Nolan all failed to do. And it has a wonderful design for Gotham along with a fantastical group of villains for Batman to deal with.

No. It's always something else, never the movie itself.

Actually, after seeing the film, I totally get why it's dividing people. But I also accept that it's a mixture of many things. To say it's just because people aren't into the movie itself is pretty absurd.

Am I the only person who's getting tired of the excuses? Yes the shooting effected the movie, but not nearly enough to remove 100-200 million dollars from its gross.Realistically speaking, anyone scared to go see the movie during the first weekend would go the second weekend or the third weekend. In the end, the total gross would be only marginally effected.And considering how most of the movies this weekend (specially the family/kid movies) are projected to have a fall of between 30-45%, even with the Olympics, I'd wager that not that many people are scared to go to the movies.*Also, hello everyone :D

There's no way to tell. You speak as if the entire media isn't blaming the incident. Every box office website is blaming it.

I'm simply suggesting that a 76% drop by itself is meaningless. We always knew it was going to drop big because of the midnight take. The problem here is that we're used to having finite circumstances by which to qualify these kinds of drops -- but that isn't the case this time.Between the other films dropping hard last weekend, their apparent failure to recover this weekend, the Olympics beginning, and the national backlash of moviegoers as evidenced in NRG's tracking -- you have to admit, there's some strong evidence there.If WOM is the primary factor affecting TDKR, why is almost every other film in the market now struggling too?

Wow following this thread on mobile is not easy!Anyway it seems to me the holdovers are doing ok even for Olympic opening day.IA4 -40.8%Ted -32.2%TASM -44.9%Brave -36.2%Pretty normal IMO. TDKR was affected for sure by the shooting And opening ceremony, but it looks to me like it's more front loaded than initially believed.
  • Like 1

Midnights kind of skews things, if you take it out, it's only dropped about 40% (Friday-Friday)

Sorry to disappoint but I can be as petty as the rest when I've had too much batsmoke blown up my ass.

Don't kid yourself. 'Team Avengers', 'Nolanites', 'next depressing film you can all flock to' makes you no better than the loonies.
  • Like 1

Actually, after seeing the film, I totally get why it's dividing people. But I also accept that it's a mixture of many things. To say it's just because people aren't into the movie itself is pretty absurd.

Almost nobody is saying it's just the movie.

So who would direct it. I know you said Bird in TA's thread but he has too many movies to take on this project. Dini and Timm, in my mind would work.
  • Like 1