Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

lol, yes Aurora had an effect but TDKR was never going to come close to TDK, get over it, Jesus.

Well if you look at the facts, it's plain and simple that it would have. Actually there's no reason to believe it wouldn't have. It's Beating TDK or coming very close to it in every market on the planet? It's silly to suggest that the only exception is the place, where it's the most popular. Given the months poor box office, TDKR's run is very impressive.
  • Like 1

Well if you look at the facts, it's plain and simple that it would have. Actually there's no reason to believe it wouldn't have. It's Beating TDK or coming very close to it in every market on the planet? It's silly to suggest that the only exception is the place, where it's the most popular.

But that's the thing no? In no other market, TDK was the 2nd biggest movie of all time. So all overseas markets had room to grow.

Given the months poor box office, TDKR's run is very impressive.

This I totally agree with.
  • Like 1

Yes Fake, but what about the countries that performing very much like the US box office? UK and Australia for instance, they taste of the crowd are very similar, when a Hollywood film breaks out in one market, it normally follows pattern in the other two. Just look at this month box office with Bourne, Ted, Expendables, all identical. TDK broke out big time in the UK and Australia, (Ledger's home country). Now TDKR already passed TDK in the UK and will be 1-2 million short in Australia. That pretty much translates to minimum 525m in the US.

Yes Fake, but what about the countries that performing very much like the US box office? UK and Australia for instance, they taste of the crowd are very similar, when a Hollywood film breaks out in one market, it normally follows pattern in the other two. Just look at this month box office with Bourne, Ted, Expendables, all identical. TDK broke out big time in the UK and Australia, (Ledger's home country). Now TDKR already passed TDK in the UK and will be 1-2 million short in Australia. That pretty much translates to minimum 525m in the US.

I'd like to take the example of Hangover and Hangover 2 here. The sequel increased 50% in both UK and Australia, but had a decrease domestically.I hope you get my point.
  • Like 1

I'd like to take the example of Hangover and Hangover 2 here. The sequel increased 50% in both UK and Australia, but had a decrease domestically.I hope you get my point.

That's a bit different, The Hangover didn't reach the heights of even There's Something About Mary in Australia, whereas TDK was far and away the biggest comic book movie at the time. The Hangover had much more room to expand. TDK pretty much hit the peak.
  • Like 1

TDKR's performance in Britain is incredible considering it's a totally developed market and TDK was huge there. Considering the shitty exchange rate in 2012 vs. 2008 (TDK grossed $89m in 2008, but would be the equivalent of $76m today), I think its run to $80+ million is very impressive.

• Like 1

Not good comparison considering TDK itself was a sequel and increased a lot. Plus there is data. NRG did say 25% of BO was impacted. Plus based on RTH data it did better in certain regions than TDK(Like NYC) while doing significantly worse in other markets.We can never say for sure but unfortunate truth it Aurora nuked the domestic BO.
  • Like 1

Hangover isn't a good example. UK and OZ were TDK's biggest markets and TDKR is matching/beating that run. Look how those three countries box office performed the past months, completely identical. especially the UK market is performing exactly like the US, all the films that broke out in the States, did in the UK, all the films that disappointed in America were underperforming in the UK. Does it make sense for TDKR to be the only exception? Especially when you take into account that the whole country was in Olympic craze for two weeks.

TDKR was never going to make 500 mill. This has been discussed over and over and over and over. It's not as well liked, its not as revered, there's not death of a major actor and there is no oscar winning performance. Doing 440 mill is about 20-30 mill less than it would have done max.My opinion of course, but I'm right. :)

• Like 2