baumer

Monday (8/20/12) Numbers (Summer is over)

The Expendables 2: 2.7 -65%Bourne: 1.6 -65%The Campaign: 1.5 -60%ERC on twitterExhibitor Relations ‏@ERCboxoffice Monday's top movies: 1. EXPENDABLES 2 - $2.7M, ($31M), 2. BOURNE LEGACY - $1.6M ($71M), 3. THE CAMPAIGN - $1.5M ($53M)

:(That's worse than I wanted but it's the end of summer already so kind of expected. Sort of similar to last years numbers.Just was hoping EX2 or BL could hold more but I guess not.

:(That's worse than I wanted but it's the end of summer already so kind of expected. Sort of similar to last years numbers.Just was hoping EX2 or BL could hold more but I guess not.

Bourne went up. 1.7m

Its funny how TDKR is still in 3000+ theaters when it hasn't been making that much money in the last few weeks. WB is really trying to push it as high as possible.

It's not like its PTA is significantly worse than anything else. I don't think WB can convince theatres to keep it if they don't want to.
  • Like 1

Expendables opened at the same time two years ago (2 weeks before Labor Day weekend) and dropped -59%. -65% is really lousy.

But EX had the highest drop of the top 15 movies that year and quite a few were below 50% drops, where as most movies dropped around 60% this year.So everything (other that Ted) had lousy drops this year :( Edited by Punishment

Almost a rounding error but I'll take it! So guessing that the rest of the week will look like:Tues 1.87 +10%Weds 1.5 -20%Thurs 1.59 6%Weekly total will be around 23-24. 55+% drop. Ouch.

Hopefully the Tuesday increase will be bigger than that. It was 12% last Tuesday on its first Tuesday.

Awful for Expendables and Bourne. They can't be affected by schools going back (and the majority aren't back yet) because they are adult skewing

Well my guess is most adults are probably done with their vacations for the summer and are getting back to work or getting their kids ready for school.

One thing to keep in mind is that The Expendables 2 did open 4 days later in the calendar year than The Expendables did back in 2010. That may not sound like much, but it's enough that it can make a difference of a few percent for a Monday decline at this time of year as late-summer midweek business slows down. Also was likely one of the factors (along with smaller grosses and better WOM) in Expendables 2 being a bit less front-loaded than Expendables 1 was over opening weekend.

Edited by JarJarBinks
  • Like 1