Totem

Favourite Harry Potter Soundtrack

1. POA (A window to the past and Buckbeak's Flight. That is all.)2. DH23. PS4. DH15. GOF6. COS7. HBP (A big improvement from OOTP, but Hooper has nothing on Williams, Desplat and Doyle.)8. OOTP ( Barely memorable at all.)

It is hauntingly beautiful. In each film, there's always a track that stands as a main theme for the film. For DH2, I'm tempted to say Lily's Theme is the one, but I keep thinking Courtyard Apocalypse is the one.

It is hauntingly beautiful. In each film, there's always a track that stands as a main theme for the film. For DH2, I'm tempted to say Lily's Theme is the one, but I keep thinking Courtyard Apocalypse is the one.

You may prefer the 'defense' theme but Lily's Theme is undoubtedly the main theme of the movie.

• Founder / Operator

1) DH2 / POA (tie) - Desplat had a huge burden in closing out the series, and for the most part, he lived up to it (though far from perfectly); POA is some of Williams' best work in the last decade.3) DH1 - Same as above.4) GOF - Some identifiable and moving themes developed.5) TSS - The classic, albeit a bit too derivative at times for Williams.6) COS - More of the same from TSS, and too much similarity to Williams' AOTC score the same year.7) HBP - Hooper just wasn't experienced enough to be scoring a film series of this magnitude, but HBP was an improvement over his first attempt.8) OOTP - The first Hooper attempt. It has some good moments, but they're few and far between. One of the worst mistakes in the history of scores for monumental film series. I'll even argue Hooper's work is the biggest blemish on the entire series, ahead of any subplots or scenes left out/changed.

Edited by ShawnMR

monumental film series. I'll even argue Hooper's work is the biggest blemish on the entire series, ahead of any subplots or scenes left out/changed.

Wow, what a huge turn around for you. I remember you having DH1/DH2 only above Hooper's scores. And I agree Hooper scoring was the worst decision for the franchise.

+1 to both

Every time I watch either film or hear either soundtrack, the frustration inside be builds. So much wasted potential

Which is sad because I genuinely believe HBP would have been a more emotional experience than PoA if it had been scored by Desplat. People underestimate just how much music adds to a film. Because as it stands, HBP ranks fourth. It could have been third had it not been for Hooper. Just imagine what he could have done during the wandlit vigil, the cave, and the very last scene. Gah, it's really frustrating.

Yates should feel ashamed of himself. Hooper even moreso due to the fact he must have known his work on OoTP didn't receive even a tenth of the acclaim the other scores did. If I were him, I'd have felt absolutely embarrassed at the work that was presented when the preceding four films were terrific (SS are PoA are two of the best scores of the decade).

Edited by Noctis

I liked all of the scores but I think my favorite is DH1. It is just so raw and emotional. I absolutely love the first scene. It hurts even typing about it because I already miss the franchise soo much. :( I miss the anticipation for each trailer to come out. I miss the midnight book releases. I miss it all and every time I think about, I want to watch Deathly Hallows again. If you haven't watched them both back to back yet, I would do it ASAP. It is a much better experience watching it as 1 film.

• Founder / Operator

DH1 and DH2 have grown on me over time, though I never really ranked the latter as I had only heard it within the film once or twice prior the last few weeks.

I loved that they included Hedwig's Theme in the credits, but I wasn't a huge fan of one or two scenes where it was forced into the film all of a sudden. Could have been working in more fluidly, I think. Plus, not repeating Window to the Past at least once in either of the final two films was a real shame.