Totem

Favourite Harry Potter Soundtrack

I loved the part when we heard a low-beat Hedwig's Theme when Hermione realizes Harry could be a horcrux.

Is this the scene right after they escape the Room of Requirement? If so, then I think they play the beginning of Snape's Demise there

My favourite track of the series is probably 'Golden Egg' for pure unabashed, old-fashioned brass writing.Honourable mentions to 'Resurrection Stone', 'Voldemort' (GOF), 'Buckbeak's Flight' and 'Leaving Hogwats'.Fawkes' theme is my favourite of the series.

• Founder / Operator

Leaving Hogwarts was the best decision any Potter composer has made since POA. Very, very fitting end. I just wish the ending itself had been longer. Neither the book nor the film gave me that proper feeling of conclusion with *all* of the characters.

Leaving Hogwarts was the best decision any Potter composer has made since POA. Very, very fitting end. I just wish the ending itself had been longer. Neither the book nor the film gave me that proper feeling of conclusion with *all* of the characters.

I'm glad the epilogue was short and sweet.

• Founder / Operator

I'm glad the epilogue was short and sweet.

It was great, don't get me wrong. Emotionally effective on most levels...but it could have been much more. I think part of the problem was simply that Rowling's written version was already too short. Edited by ShawnMR

I wouldn't have minded if we saw a montage of the trio making their way up the Ministry rankings. That would have been great. Maybe even see the Burrow. But long epilogues can be bad (RoTK was too long).

• Founder / Operator

ROTK was perfect. The template for how Potter should have treated its characters at the end. Too much emotional investment with not enough pay off, IMO.

Of course, it helps that LOTR did a far more thorough job of developing its second tier characters over the course of the films than Potter did anyway. So in that respect, at least Potter was semi-consistent with itself.

Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

I would have liked a longer epilogue too, but I blame Rowling for that. I do think ROTK was too long but there should be some middle ground. A 6-7 minute epilogue would have been nice :)

My feeling, with ROTK, is that the epilogue was largely intended for the legions of fans. Its understandable that casual viewers weren't as big on it, but at the same time, I do think it gets blown way out of proportion sometimes as a simple means of finding a flaw in the series (because, honestly, there are very few...relatively speaking, of course).

Honestly though, its hard to imagine ROTK's ending any differently. It would have felt very unbalanced compared to the rest of the films which had spent so much time building up the specific importance of each and every character (something Potter never took enough time to do in the films, and even Rowling herself didn't do to the same extent as Tolkien did). One wonders what a shorter ending might have felt like, having to not only get rid of certain scenes (each of which were important to the story) but also Shore's grand climax of the score. I shudder to think what it would have been like without all of that, personally.

That's why I think Potter's ending hasn't had the criticism, because for the most part, it not only adhered to the book but kept it short and sweet for casual audiences that don't particularly care about the kind of detail that others do. Like you said, I blame Rowling for that more than Yates (how rare is it we get to say that?).

Edited by ShawnMR

I think the last minute (around the 3:50 mark) of Resurrection Stone is heartbreaking. There's something so beautiful about it. Mirror of Erised and Resurrection easily rank as the saddest tracks of the series.

Still Lily's theme is favorite and I think will remain my most favorite of the entire series. One of the best and heart wrenching soundtrack. Especially it looks so great in the beginning of the movie when dementors have surrounded Hogwarts and Snape watches the looming darkness over Hogwarts which was once so blissful (Courtyard Apocalypse, Statues and The resurrection stone are good too from DH2)

Still Lily's theme is favorite and I think will remain my most favorite of the entire series. One of the best and heart wrenching soundtrack. Especially it looks so great in the beginning of the movie when dementors have surrounded Hogwarts and Snape watches the looming darkness over Hogwarts which was once so blissful (Courtyard Apocalypse, Statues and The resurrection stone are good too from DH2)

To hear Lily's Theme as we see the dementors surrounding Hogwarts and Snape looking at the horizon was hauntingly beautiful. BTW, Courtyard Apocalypse, Statues, Resurrection Stone, and Lily's Theme are also my favorite of DH2. :P

ROTK was perfect. The template for how Potter should have treated its characters at the end. Too much emotional investment with not enough pay off, IMO.

Of course, it helps that LOTR did a far more thorough job of developing its second tier characters over the course of the films than Potter did anyway. So in that respect, at least Potter was semi-consistent with itself.

Absolutely, totlaly, irrevocably 100% disagree with absolutely everything you said.