baumer

The Mummy (1999)

Grade it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

an awesome movie. This is what Indiana Jones 4 should have been. 

Except the Mummy came out nearly a decade before! IJ4 should have had plenty of time to get it right. Pathetic it couldn't.

honestly this movie and its first sequel are perfect movies for me to put on when I am feeling down or really bored. They are pure entertainment. 

I think your sentiment sums up this thread pretty well, but I didn't like either film, and I'd prefer the first two POTC.

I don't know why the second is not well liked on the Internet especially if everyone seems to like the Mummy films.

As someone who had watched the original countless times, Mummy 3 wasn't anything to look forward to. The Mummy Returns already was inferior to its predecessor, Sommers wasn't back, Rachel fucking Weisz wasn't back, Rob Cohen was a hack of hacks, it had been 7 years. The whole thing reeked of studio desperation. 

• Like 2

Returns isn't great, but it is still an enjoyable movie. :)

It's really not well-made at all. What was fresh in the first movie feels repetitive and a drag, the action sequences are far too brief (yet constant) and not well-designed, the VFX is somewhat shabby, and the whole thing feels entirely lack-luster and derivative (not only of other, far-better movies, but also it's predecessor).
  • Like 1

It's really not well-made at all. What was fresh in the first movie feels repetitive and a drag, the action sequences are far too brief (yet constant) and not well-designed, the VFX is somewhat shabby, and the whole thing feels entirely lack-luster and derivative (not only of other, far-better movies, but also it's predecessor).

Well, yeah. Like I said, it isn't a great movie. I enjoy it for the acting and story which I found to be fun. Also, I am a big fan of The Rock, so I enjoyed him being in it.
  • Like 1

The film is a great adventure film that few films have replicated today.

- Swashbuckling hero

- Pretty girl who also has a brain

- Enjoyable supporting characters for laughs

- Interesting villain

- Cool story

People want entertainment, and this film does the job well and why it became such a popular film. 

• Like 1

I remembered owning the VHS to this and Mummy Returns back when I younger and I have to say I like this movie it's not anything like wow but it's a fun action adventure type movie and the beetles used to creep me out when I was younger and I liked the way the mummy looked in this. Grade:B+

Pretty much a perfect blend of 80s style adventure/fun, 90s high concept and noughties CGI spectacle. I remember watching both The Matrix and this several times at the cinema in 1999. Both very different but both made me optimistic about the future of blockbusters...

Anyway, most of todays tentpoles cant hold a candle to this. It never tries to be anything more than very well orchestrated fun and it 100% succeeds

• Like 1

I remember seeing Phantom Menace soon after seeing The Mummy in theaters as a kid. I remember telling my dad I'd like to see The Mummy again after seeing Phantom Menace. He smiled and said, "Yeah. That's a was fun flick. Let's see it again at the dollar theater in a month."

It was best Indiana Jones movie not named Raiders. Awesome fun. B+/A-.

• Like 1