pieman

Why does Ice Age play so well overseas?

That really is the answer as far as I can tell, crazy as that may be. The character just has universal and mass appeal like few other characters in animated feature history. His popularity is more akin to a classic cartoon Looney Tunes or Disney character like Mickey or Bugs. Aside from that, the movies are decent (except the 2nd) and have pretty relatable stories for all cultures.

MINIONS : DESPICABLE ME : SCRAT : ICE AGE

Breakout characters who doesn't have much english dialogue translate really well in the OS-markert. Also as you all already said having talking animals and being culturally-natural is also a major factor. Disney and Pixar are more aimed for America, Japan and most of Europe as the rest of the world hasn't socialite with disney through history. So IA and maybe Madagascar are the nostalgic CGI-franchise in the OS-market as much Toy Story are hailed as THE CGI-franchise in America, Japan and the motherland of Scandinavia.  

EDIT:(Wow, I'm really are such of a ego...)

Edited by SwedishFailurez