1 member has voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

"Frailty" is a excellent example of a modern horror/thriller film. This film twists and plays with your mind to an extent where you end up in a roll of confusion, energy, fun and depression. I think this film is also one of the best in the modern genre of horror and it will be a classic one day. I'm saying this because it's surprisingly a film I would put in the category "They just don't make films like this anymore". And it's true, many of the horror films we've been getting lately are remakes, sequels or prequels which are ever exciting or pointless. "Frailty" is an original idea which offers so much.The story sets on the Meiks family with twos sons called Adam and Fenton with their Daddy who live a normal life in a normal world and they enjoy it together. One night, on any other normal night, Dad Meiks wakes up the two boys and tells them he has had a vision from God and that there are demons amongst them and that they must serve the will in killing them. Adam seems to get pulled into it while as Fenton wants to escape the horror and live a normal life. Fenton all grown up confesses his tragic life story to an FBI agent who is on the look out for the "God's Hand Killer".The script and direction this film was taken into was superbly and surprisingly done well. Bill Paxton who not only directs this film but also stars in it as the dad does a chilling job at his role as well as his excellent story telling. What he captures so well with the character of the dad is if he's really seeing angels and demons or if he's going plain crazy? I'm still not sure what it could be but I think it might be both. The two little boys also did a job at building up their persona's of their characters and the back up actors did good in what they had to do. But the most outstanding performance was Matthew McConaughey who played the adult 'Fenton'.Even before listening the director's commentary the other night, I new Paxton had a working relationship with both McConaughey and Boothe, on U571 and Tombstone respectively. I really enjoyed both of them in this film and for me personally it was kind of nice to see two former co-stars in his debut film. Also very cool to see legendary DP Bill Butler's work here. He is known for films like Jaws and some of the Rocky's, just to name a few.I also like the overall tone. Very sad, gloomy, creepy, scary at times and dark. Every death scene was also done really well and it left us to the imagination of how the bodies were devoured and mutilated. It's smart when it comes to violence because it doesn't have to show any detail to creep out audiences.Overall, "Frailty" is definitely worth the see and maybe even the buy if you can get it cheap. It's one of the better modern horrors around.9.5/10