baumer

The Big Lebowski

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Yeeessssss! One of my favorite movies of all time.

This movie is a labyrinthine puzzle of a movie topped with great performances,

a million funny quotes and the typical, oddball humor of the Coens.

Love it, love it, love it. I have seen this at least 10 times.

Great soundtrack too.

The funniest scenes for me

1. The bit where they're eating burgers in the car after Walter smashes the red car

2. "Jackie Treehorn.. treats objects like women.. man"

3. "Do you have to use so many cuss-words?" ... "The fuck you talking about?"

10/10

Posted Image

• Like 1

Shut the fuck up Donny!I have honestly never seen a film like the Big Lebowski before. Just like I have never seen a film like Fargo before. Both were done by the Coen brothers and both were funny and strange at the same time. And both had roles in them for Steve Buscemi, who can make a good film great, a bad film good and a weird film watchable.When I first saw this film, I can't say I loved it. But then the more you watch it, the more it grows on you. I liked it at first, now I love it. John Goodman and Jeff Bridges are freakin hilarious in this film. Goodman has issues. That's for sure. He has many issues that he is dealing with. But instead of dealing with them like a scarred Vet usually does, he deals with them in anger but a funny anger if that is possible. He lashes out at his friends especially Donny who just doesn't seem to say any of the right things when Goodman is around.Bridges is excellent as well. His character really just wants to get through the day and bowl and not have anyone pee on his carpet. But of course none of that is going to happen in the strange world that the Coen's have created.But this is a film that should be experienced. It is incredibly original and it is worth more than a few laughs.9/10

• Like 2

I didn't love it either first time I saw it. I thought Fargo had been a big step forward for them. It was more emotional, less "taking the piss out of man's stupidity". Then this seemed like a step back again. It was juvenile. Technically brilliant but empty.Second time I watched it, a few years later, I totally, totally loved it (the weed probably helped). Probably seen it another 15 times since. Now it's my favourite Coen bros movie, and is easily in my top 10 of all time.Grade: A

• Like 2

I do have a few issues with the movie, biggest one being that I never really liked Julianne Moore as Maude

Did you just bad mouth Julianne Moore?

Posted Image

Anyway, pretty funny movie, though I do have issues with some of the pacing. A little over the top also.

B+

In the comedy realm, this is simply one of the best and as far as comedies go.......it's a masterpiece.

The characters are unique, the story is complex, and it's without a doubt one of the more hilarious films you'll see.

Jeff Bridges is brilliant. The amount of things Bridges is able to portray by nothing other than body language had me losing it. Does it get any better than when he reclines the chair and gets in laid back mode while being questioned by the cops in front of him?

I'm having trouble writing this review, because there's so many awesome things in the movie I want to discuss. But instead of rambling on more, I'll just say...................watch it and embrace the comedic brilliance of The Big Lebowski. Films like this don't come around very often.

A

• Like 2

"Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to face the fact you're a goddamn moron."

The best Coens' flick, one of the best comedies of all time and a great movie overall.

10/10

Multiple viewings recommended - every time I've seen it, I've liked it more.
  • Like 1

A really funny fun movie feels like a Coen brothers movie and the dude is probably the best character and good narration by Sam Elliot but I really liked this movie especially some of the trippy stuff when the dude is floating in the sky and the dude going like the bowling ball in the scene and looking up the women's skirts and with a lot of funny scenes and some strange scenes overall a B+/A- very tough to decide

• Like 2

Yeah, no.

Barton Fink 95/100
No Country for Old Men 85/100
True Grit 80/100
Intolerable Cruelty 80/100
Fargo 75/100
Blood Simple 70/100
Raising Arizona 65/100
A Serious Man 60/100

The Big Lebowski 55/100
Miller's Crossing 55/100