Impact

How Long Have You Been Following the Box Office?

uh good question....i joined box office mojo boards during TDK's run. played in Steve Mason fantasy moguls game before that, so I would say since early 2007, I guess.

Around 1998. Back then I would look at Entertainment Weekly for weekend box office numbers and it sucked.It was nothing like now where you have a wealth of information at your fingertips and daily updates.

Almost my story exactly. Got started with Jurassic Park and followed it every week in EW. Used to have a spreadsheet where I kept up with all films that had grossed over 100m... now that list is far too long to keep up with personally. Thank god for the internet now.
  • Like 3

I also started paying more attention when JP came out, but there was no day to day back then; at least none that I was aware of. I don't even think the Mon through Thur gross were ever reported on. Before then, I was aware of how movies would do but generally not until there runs were over with. Heck, in the 80's I had no idea how much just about any had made. I new they were popular by how much other people talked about them, LOL. I didn't get into the day to day tracking until Titanic and then especially with TPM, being the huge SW fan that I am. Don't remember when I joined BOM officially. I lurked for a little bit before actually joining. I remember being on there when the first Hulk movie came out. That was fun.

• Like 1

Around mid July. I remember loving Salt so much that I wanted to know everthing about it (yeah, I know). I just clicked on a link on Wikipedia and it lead me to BOM. I really started to understand the numbers and everything around the time «Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps» was released. I remember thinking that US & international numbers were the same and everything. I've been hooked, since then, my life changed :)

As I said before-it was since I was 11 when Jurassic Park came out.

Yeah I knew some stuff about it, but that is when I got serious.

You have me beat by just a bit. I looked loosely at box office receipts previously, but sometime in the mid-90's (around '93/'94), when all the information was readily accessible on the 'net, did I really get hooked. I recalled playing many games on the Mr. Showbiz site and even winning some movie posters from them (for their weekly game). I was so proud when I'd crack the top 100 in one of their winter or summer "studio" games (where you'd buy and sell movies like stock - hoping to gain extra cash - then stick with certain films' real life grosses for your final score).

While there are many impressive box office moments over the years (good and bad), there are three that really stand out.

[*]The first was with "Titanic". "Titanic" cost an astounding $200M. When it only opened to a little over $28M its first weekend, some wondered if there would be a huge loss. $200M is still a lot now and it was a vast fortune then. But the legs on that film were incredible - I hadn't witnessed that ever. The 80's films had legs for a different reason (theater count), but no film made those types of weekly grosses month after month.

[*]The second impressive moment was with "Spider-Man" when it made over $114M in just 3 days in 2002. This was still an era where $100M was considered a fantastic gross for many films. When its second weekend was over $70M, an amount I figured it might make its first weekend, I knew a new era in the box office was now possible.

[*]The last "wow moment" is with "The Avengers". Analogous to "Spider-Man", the $200M+ first weekend and $100M+ second weekend issues in yet another era in the box office. It will be interesting to see where things go from here. When "Titanic" settled its initial run with over $600M, I didn't think any film could get that again. Even the "Star Wars" prequels couldn't challenge it. But then came "Avatar" and now "Avengers". It's clear that when something is spectacular, audiences will come.

• Like 1

As I said before-had BOM forms not closed down I can tell you a bunch of newbies would of joined in May.

And what a good time to join. As I wrote in my post, "The Avengers" offered one of the box office's biggest moments. And once you become a box office fan, you start looking at all the other films. I hope they are going to the various sites to do their homework (boxofficemojo still has so much information!).
  • Like 1

I still go to BOM all the time, its even open in another window ;)

I do as well. Especially if I want to quote a number here. Usually my memory is pretty good on these things, but it always helps to double check and not look the fool. ;) I do recall looking at box office numbers in the paper in the 80's, but again, it wasn't until the 'net and the 90's when such tracking was easily done. Then daily tracking (not sure when that kicked in, but it is drool-worthy).