Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films -- 2013 THREAD TO START SOON! POSSIBLE RULE CHANGES ON PG. 50

The Hunger Games? Really? It must be because it is new and it is fresh on people's minds.Really happy to see Pirates 1, Black Swan and Ultimatum in this list.

Edited by CJohn

90. Full Metal Jacket

Stanley Kubrick, 1987

"Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair! "

Nominated for 1 Oscar

310 points

Synopsis: A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the Vietnam War has on his fellow Marine recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting set in 1968 in Hue, Vietnam.

Trivia: Advertisements for this film were censored in some parts of Canada due to the tagline "In Vietnam the wind doesn't blow, it sucks." At that time, Canadian censors had not yet decided whether the phrase "it sucks" (or "this sucks") was obscene.

89. The Incredibles

Brad Bird, 2004

"My God, you've gotten fat. "

Nominated for 4 Oscars, won 2

314 points

Synopsis: A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world.

Trivia: The first Disney/Pixar film to receive PG rating.

88. Rocky

John G. Avildsen, 1976

"Adriaaaaaaaaaan!"

Nominated for 10 Oscars, won 3

319 points

Synopsis: A small time boxer gets a once in a lifetime chance to fight the heavyweight champ in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

Trivia: The first sports film to win Best Picture.

87. Ghostbusters

Ivan Reitman, 1984

"Who you gonna call?"

Nominated for 2 Oscars

319 points

Synopsis: Three unemployed parapsychology professors set up shop as a unique ghost removal service.

Trivia: The role of Peter Venkman was originally written for John Belushi.

• Like 2

Not happy with any of 94-91 selections really, except for Usual Suspects, which is in my top 50 for sure. Slumdog is a fantastic film, but not top 100 imo. THG is just a joke....but this is a collective vote. :)

Edited by Expendable baumer

Not happy with any of 94-91 selections really, except for Usual Suspects, which is in my top 50 for sure. Slumdog is a fantastic film, but not top 100 imo. THG is just a joke....but this is a collective vote. :)

I didn't do a 100 list exactly because of this. I would forget lots of excellent movies, and I would definitly put Hunger Games in there, because it is fresh, easy to remember. I would never remember Ultimatum, which deserves to be in this list much more than THG.
  • Like 1

86. Network

Sidney Lumet, 1976

"I want you to go to the window, open it, stick your head out and yell: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore.'"

Nominated for 10 Oscars, won 4

320 points

Synopsis: A TV network cynically exploits a deranged ex-TV anchor's ravings and revelations about the media for their own profit.

Trivia: Beatrice Straight is only on screen for five minutes and forty seconds, making hers the briefest performance ever to win an Oscar.

85. L.A. Confidential

Curtis Hanson, 1997

"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush. "

Nominated for 9 Oscars, won 2

320 points

Synopsis: As corruption grows in 1950s LA, three policemen - the straight-laced, the brutal, and the sleazy - investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice.

Trivia: Body count: 30

84. My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no Totoro)

Hayao Miyazakil, 1988

"Trees and people used to be good friends."

No Oscar noms

320 points

Synopsis: When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wonderous forest spirits who live nearby.

Trivia: On its original theatrical release in Japan, it was double-featured with Grave of the Firefliesas the film was believed to be too big a financial risk as a standalone release.

• Like 1

I just can't wait to see the top. I have to assume that it is full of Nolan, Marvel, Spielberg, Cameron, Harry Potter, Fincher, Scorsese, Oscar nominated/winners of the last 10 years, which include fucking Artist and Tree of Life and the top 25 of IMDb.All the big names of the industry/easy stuff to remember.I wouldn't be shocked to see The Hangover appearing somewhere either.

Edited by CJohn