Halloween (1978)

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well, for me in all seriousness I'd have to give Alien a higher standing just a tad bit since I'm just a sucker for sci-fi :P  And it was beautifully done as well.

Alien and Aliens are fantastic films.  Technically, JAWS is the best horror film ever made imo but I put JAWS in a horror drama kind of category where as Alien/Halloween are different kinds of horror.

• Like 2

100/100.

10/10.

5/5.

A+.

One of the masterpieces of the masterpieces. One of the classics of the classics. An orgasm like no other.

If someone asks my favorite films of all time, this is one of the five I mention.

The main film that got me interested into cinema in the first place. Of course, there was Jurassic Park and Star Wars, but they influenced in my young years in a different way. Halloween influenced me in such an obsessive nature. Call me crazy, but I wanted to be Laurie. The film that made me realize what really being obsessed was.

Around seven and eight, I wanted to see all of them. Again and again. Halloween was something I couldn't reciprocate. No feeling or experience would ever come close. I remember begging my godmother, then grandfather, and later mother to rent me all the Halloween films they could. No of them ever came close to giving me the same experience and feeling as the first. The only one that came close was the second and then the fourth.

I would be honored to ever be any part of a film of this caliber.

John Carpenter, this is your Beautiful. This is your Rolling in The Deep/Someone Like You. This is your I Will Always Love You.

This is work. Your art. Your beauty. And more importantly, you.

One of the most influential films in my life. Thank you, John.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 3

Halloween doesn't scare. This might be odd for what's considered by several to be the greatest horror film of all time, but the scare factor doesn't matter here. The atmosphere is unparalleled and the film holds up today, mostly thanks to brilliant camerawork and a stellar score. The first scene (the best part of the film) smartly sets up that the camera can bring just as much terror as Michael Myers, and the reveal after the first scene is a strikingly great shot. Curtis and Pleasance play their parts well, but unfortunately, the rest of the cast is hit-and-miss. Carpenter's score is absolutely incredible, consistently bringing chills despite its unchanging tones. The film also sticks its landing, something that can be rarely be said about 70s horror from what this reviewer has seen. Halloween is a film perfect for its titular holiday; lacking in scares but excelling in scary atmosphere and pure fun. B+

13 hours ago, Blankments said:

Halloween doesn't scare. This might be odd for what's considered by several to be the greatest horror film of all time, but the scare factor doesn't matter here. The atmosphere is unparalleled and the film holds up today, mostly thanks to brilliant camerawork and a stellar score. The first scene (the best part of the film) smartly sets up that the camera can bring just as much terror as Michael Myers, and the reveal after the first scene is a strikingly great shot. Curtis and Pleasance play their parts well, but unfortunately, the rest of the cast is hit-and-miss. Carpenter's score is absolutely incredible, consistently bringing chills despite its unchanging tones. The film also sticks its landing, something that can be rarely be said about 70s horror from what this reviewer has seen. Halloween is a film perfect for its titular holiday; lacking in scares but excelling in scary atmosphere and pure fun. B+

Halloween did scare the hell out of people and the only reason you feel it doesn't is because it's 40 years later.  You;ve seen 1800 other films copy the formula.  But make no mistake about it, Halloween is a fantastically scary film.

• Like 1

I didn't say it didn't scare other people; I'm just saying it didn't scare me?

I'll give it a rewatch next Halloween and maybe I'll like it more. Tbf I watched it with a headache this time on Halloween and would've stopped it so I'd enjoy it more later... but it's not like I could watch it on November 1 lol

• Like 1

Halloween, Salems Lot (1979) and The Thing are the movies that scared me the most as a kid. Halloween is my favorite because of its simplicity. Before all the brother/sister crap and even worse, the Thorn garbage... Halloween was about a killer who escaped and came home. He picks Laurie Strode because she just happened to be the first person he saw (through the door of his house). Fate... Pure and simple. There is NO other reason that he follows her. 

It started so many trends, they are too numerous to list. But what a classic. Favorite scenes for me?

-hedge

-out the school window

-standing amongst the hanging laundry

-background doorway

-the slow reveal behind Laurie

-sitting up. 

-breaking into the closet. Terrifying. 

Least favorite scene:  no reason to take his mask off. 

Man... What a great movie. And with almost no blood!!!