Gopher

Weekend Box Off... You Know What, Who Cares (9/7-9)

FIRST BOX OFFICE: ‘The Words’ $6.5M, ‘Cold Light Of Day’ $3.5M Awful Weekend Except For Indiana Jones IMAX Release

FRIDAY 4:45 PM: This is traditionally such a terrible box office weekend that Hollywood schedules only low-profile movies. The fall movie season started with a whimper. Among wider release newcomers, CBS Films’ Sundance pickup The Words (2,801 theaters) is looking to open with $1.8M-$2.5M today and maybe a $6.0M-$6.5M weekend. That’s in line with the studio’s very modest expectations and tracking for this low-budget drama masquerading as an art house pic. Meanwhile Hollywood has to start asking itself whether Bradley Cooper really is a draw for female moviegoers. Summit Entertainment’s Bruce Willis-Henry Cavill thriller Cold Light Of Day (1,511 theaters) is looking to debut with $700K to $1M today and $3M to $3.5M this weekend. Nobody expected any more than that, and I don’t recall seeing a single ad for what’s yet another Cavill bomb leading up to Man Of Steel. At this moment what’s most interesting is the 267-venue IMAX exclusive run of Paramount’s Raiders Of The Lost Ark is the #2 matinee film. Kinda amazing since it’s just part of the promotional push for the September 18th Blu-ray release of Steven Spielberg’s and George Lucas’ Indiana Jones: The Complete Collection. Ah, the rich get richer. But I’m surprised that the sheer idiocy of The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull didn’t sour filmgoers on the entire Indiana Jones franchise.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

A movie that came out 30 years ago might outgross a new film coming out this weekend that apparently has 2 A listers.

I hope it does. I'd love to see a trend of classic films getting somewhat-wide re-releases every few months. I'm sure that's no big deal for the big-city dwellers out there who can pop down to the specialty cinemas that play classics. But for us small-town folk, it would be the only way to get to see some of the greats on the big screen. Would love "Casablanca" or "Jaws" or "Psycho" on the big screen.
  • Like 2

If that Raiders number holds it could be on pace for a 4 mill weekend. That would be pretty awesome.

Could've taken the weekend with a release in ~2000 theaters. Which would have meant back to back weekends of rereleases at #1, which would have meant the industry truly doesn't give a shit about September (though I think that's already true). Edited by Gopher

Could've taken the weekend with a release in ~2000 theaters. Which would have meant back to back weekends of rereleases at #1, which would have meant the industry truly doesn't give a shit about September (though I think that's already true).

Does this mean September's the new February?