Hiccup

Hiccup's Critical Review Year 4 Top 25 Officially Up!

Thanks for the review on The Last Six. Although I can't really see how you can call it a stupid idea for a movie... :P It's a crossover of a bunch of mythological gods and goddesses saving the world. Much better than some other real life blockbusters. ;)

Just the mixing of gods seems weird to me but it translated well in the film. Good job on that! :)
  • Like 1

Invaders Must Die!: The Tale of Doogie Rounds- 49%

If audiences can get past the awkward title, Invades Must Die! is actually a fun and hilarious ride. Whether is it meant to be fun or not, I don't know but I found it very funny. The acting is average and the score sucks but the film makes this up in comedy.

Lake of the Psychopaths- 9%

Your typical September horror. Predictable and values gore over story and acting.

Duck in Space- 20%

Duck in Space will delight little children but will leave parents wondering what the hell did they spend there money on. Not even Zach Galafankis can save this movie.

LoveBytes- 94%

Written with depth and reflective on our internet culture, LoveBytes is a passionate, emotional, and powerful Oscar contender with strong performances from Topher Grace and Keira Knightly.

Prisoners- 37%

While we have had millions of ghost stories told and Prisoners is nothing new, it still manages to scare its audience and thrill horror lovers. The found footage works very well for the film and was well done.

Tomb Raider- 57%

Great performance from Jennifer Lawrence. Tomb Raider starts out well but then suddenly collapses near the end and then ends suddenly. The action is well done and the score is great but the last two thirds of the film is weak and the suddenly ending annoyed me a bit.

The Good Die Young- 97%

The Good Die Young is a powerful and emotion drama centered around Vietnam War. Martin Scorsese really nailed this one. The gets stronger as it goes on and the middle part and finish are amazing. With a well chosen cast (particularly Shia LaBeouf and Jennifer Lawrence ) and a incredibly script, The Good Die Young proves that Numerator Pictures is one of the best studios out there.

The Simulation- 75%

Thanks do its great leads and interesting storyline, The Simulation is a fall hit. While the story walks into well known territory, it remains different enough. The Simulation had great visuals and cinematography for a 55M budget.

Hope-Fear-Adventure- 61%

A heart-felt story about a struggling young boy. The voice cast is good and the bear CGI is very well done. The story is a little predictable and generic but it will still delight children.

The 13th Night IV: Vengeance of Hell- 7%

While an improvement over the last film, The 13th Night IV is still a terrible horror movie.

The Party Party- 69%

The Party Party is a hysterical political comedy that will definitely make you laugh. The cast was well chosen and did a fantastic job. Robert Downey Jr. was amazing.

Silence! Part 2: The Revenge- 11%

Silence! Part 2: The Revenge is a worse than the first, which wasn't even good. Hopefully the studio doesn't milk this awful franchise like The 13th Night.

The Vast Dark Part III: The Execution- 59%

The Vast Dark Part 3: The Execution is a step down from the first two which were brilliant horror thrillers. This new entry still has a great script but it feels weaker and more boring than the first two. One of the best horror films of the year though.

Defiance- 40%

The acting is mediocre and the storyline is had to believe at times but Defiance boasts terrific visuals and an interesting story that should please action flick audiences.

Top 25 Pre-Holiday Season

1. Nirvana- 98%

2. The Good Die Young- 97%

3. Our City- 97%

4. LoveBytes- 94%

5. Sylvarius- 92%

6. Glass Castle- 88%

7. Columbine- 86%

8. Island of the Blue Dolphins- 85%

9. Best Friends Forever- 84%

10. The Flash- 83%

11. Remember Flight 175- 81%

12. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord- 80%

13. Student Film- 79%

14. Taking Names- 79%

15. Giant Spider- 77%

16. The Simulation- 75%

17. Divisions- 74%

18. Unbalanced- 73%

19. Bone: Vernal Equinox- 72%

20. The Last Six- 71%

21. Spark- 70%

22. The Party Party- 69%

23. Death of a Strawberry- 69%

24. Comedians- 68%

25. On the Set- 67%

Tomb Raider- 57%

Great performance from Jennifer Lawrence. Tomb Raider starts out well but then suddenly collapses near the end and then ends suddenly. The action is well done and the score is great but the last two thirds of the film is weak and the suddenly ending annoyed me a bit.

We will use the bolded for the TV ads & ignore giving the % score lolol.

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. the Abominable Snowman- 5%

Why Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson?! The first film was awful and now a sequel!! No no no!!!

The Nutcracker and the Mouse King- 33%

This film didn't do it for me. The animation is very cheap looking and the score is obnoxious. The voice cast is the only redeeming quality but even that is average.

Kardashians! The World’s Greatest Family- 0%

Can somebody kill these bitches before they infest our world with their children?

The Triple Nickels- 71%

It isn't amazing but just a solid film. Terrence Howard does a great job in his role. The visuals are great along with the cast. The climax of the film is fantastic but the story gets kind of boring around it.

Never Say Goodbye- 46%

This film like The Nutcracker and the Moose King just didn't do it for me. I found it boring and dull. I wanted to like it but just couldn't. The cast appears solid but it isn't. The film is greatly over budgeted with 100M in spending probably thanks to the big name cast.

Insurgent- 78%

This film avoids the sequel curse. Insurgent is filled with a interesting storyline and great acting. The visual effects are improved over the first film greatly.

Citizen Hughes- 82%

Definitely not Christopher Nolan's best film but Jim Carrey does a fantastic job in this. The film's script is well written and the acting is top notch. This will definitely make it to the Oscars. The only down side is the film like Number's said feels episodic.

The Sketchbook- 66%

The Sketchbook is a cute film that families will enjoy during the Holiday season. The acting is good and the story while not original is still a delight.

Wenan- 89%

I really liked this movie. Russell Crowe was excellent in it and the script was well written. The score was unique and beautiful and man the cinematography was gorgeous! Paul Thomas Anderson did a great job directing this. Wenan is a possible and hidden Oscar contender.

• Like 2

Hiccup, a film was missing from your list, therefore Guernica Studios invites you for a special screening of Flowers of Arvika (scheduled for an October release). You get to see it before Rogert Ebert, so looking forward to read your review. ;)

Oh dude sorrow I completely missed it!

Top 25 Year 4

1. Nirvana- 98%

2. The Good Die Young- 97%

3. Our City- 97%

4. Alesia- 96%

5. The Road Home- 94%

6. LoveBytes- 94%

7. Sylvarius- 92%

8. Wenan- 89%

9. Glass Castle- 88%

10. Flowers of Arvika- 87%