riczhang

Riczhang's Year 4 Reviews

Creator, I skipped your film because I just reviewed one of yours so I'll get to it on my second go around.

Martian Manhunter:

Technically superb, and visually stunning, Martian Manhunter is a empty film devoid of a new spin on a story that we’ve all seen, and heard many times before. A superhero origin story all consist of much of the same elements, but what’s made the likes of Batman, Iron Man, and Spiderman so successful, is that their films through stylistic, and creative decisions made each similar story uniquely their own , and in the process capturing the hearts, and minds of many people around the world.

The biggest problem with the story is that it’s flat, and at times unbelievable. It’s inconceivable to think that someone like Dr. Edrel’s wife would’ve just so calmly accepted the fact that there’s an Alien in their house, and the build-up from that to the formation of their “great” friendship also goes by too quickly, and doesn’t take enough time to build a believable set-up. However when J’onn finally becomes Martian Manhunter, and John Jones, the story picks up, and even though lacking life, the great action sequences just takes you through the rest of the movie in a blink of an eye.

The cast in general gets the job done, not superb, but not terribly bad as well, just extremely average. Channing Tatum has improved a great deal since his Step Up days, and this is just another step forward in his journey. The only cast member that felt as if they weren’t pulling their weight was definitely Nicholas Cage. Oh, how far the mighty have fallen, once captivating in films like Leaving Las Vegas, Nick Cage has left us wondering what has happened to such a talented actor, as he stumbles through the film. He gets the job done, but leaves us wondering if a better actor had been cast, how much more could’ve been achieved. The standout, though for just a small amount of screen time, is Octavia Spencer, and her brief turn at the end of the film, really set up the correct mood for such a scene, and elevated a scene that could’ve been potentially disastrous, and cringe worthy had someone else been cast.

Going back to the technical aspect, Danny Elfman doesn’t disappoint, and churns out another great score. The effects and the 3D were all superb, and are definitely among the best of the year as the $150 million dollar budget really shows on screen in terms of quality. The cinematography is also quite gorgeous, presenting us with some memorable images such as the shot of a burning Mars, which could’ve been a better used as the opening shot instead of that joy ride through the asteroid field.

While, this film isn’t my cup of tea, with the visuals, and action, the younger demographic would surely enjoy this feast for their eyes.

5.5/10

Also, the reason I chose Taylor to direct Glass Castle was mainly based on his work in The Help. He was able to work with emotionally heavy material, but that had more lighthearted-ness than The Glass Castle did.I suppose it's cheating to change the director now. :P

The Flowers of Arvika

Lukas Moodysson has done it again, weaving together another stellar tale of love, loss, and sadness akin to his debut feature Show Me Love. The screenwriter has also done a commendable job creating a believable world that we get truly sucked into this wonderful world, and in 2 languages, showing mastery in not only English but Swedish as well.

Michelle Williams, and Stellen Skarsgard give truly life-like performances inhabiting every breath, and line with life, emotion, and angst. The only qualm I had was how Michelle’s character was able to learn Swedish despite once speaking it so quickly, it seems illogical the pace at which she picks up the language. Michelle Williams is no Meryl Streep, and when she speaks Swedish, she captures the accent pitch perfect, however when she delivers her Swedish lines she sound as if she’s reciting something she heard from a tape recorder, or a vocal coach. Her pronunciation was perfect, and her Swedish crystal clear, but it didn’t sound natural.

The final parts of the film are truly heartbreaking, as we see loss both emotionally, physically, as Frida decides to run back to her old life, in truly emotionally devastating fashion. The only thing was that the cut from the ruined garden back to the funeral is very abrupt, and kind of confusing, but overall the ending, and especially the last few moments in the airport leave us on a highly emotional note.

9/10

• Like 1

If you like Octavia Spencer in Martian Manhunter, I can't wait to see your opinion on Booster Gold. She has a major supporting role in that.

Can't wait, I have her lined up for a major role for a future film. She was the only part of The Help I liked.

Can't wait, I have her lined up for a major role for a future film. She was the only part of The Help I liked.

She was the only part of The Help I hated because all she did was replicate the sassy black maid we've seen over and over again since Gone with the Wind (and it was badly done there too). Edited by 4815162342

Thanks for the Arvika review. I had the same language dilemma, but I thought it wouldn't have been believable if she speaks Swedish after 20 years. I also wanted it to be half foreign, so didn't want it to be fully English. It also has a double meaning as she learns the language, it represents her feelings as well. She used to speak the language as a kid, so she didn't have to start from scratch.

Our City:

First of all, any movie that has Meryl Streep is a good movie, so I love it already. But, going on that, the movie is a wave of nostalgia, and even though the story is simple it’s beautiful and gorgeous in its unique way. The only huge problem I had was that the constant switching between 2D and 3D is not only tedious, but also disorientating. Plus, I couldn’t help but wonder how gorgeous it would be in 100% hand-drawn 2D animation, it’d be like the Disney Renaissance come back to life. So, that’s definitely a huge missed opportunity.

But, with its nevertheless still gorgeous imagery, solid direction, and fantastic voice casting, the movie is really a must see for adults and Children alike.

9/10 (Would’ve been 10 if it hadn’t been for the 3D, and the 3D CGI animation)

Defiance:

If you’re looking for an action flick you’ve found the right place, if you’re looking for a quality one, you might want to keep looking. Defiance is a film that has some interesting ideas at heart, but suffers from gaping plot holes, and unbelievable plot lines, such as how the hell is it possible that the Muslims would enter through the Mexican border? That would only make sense if some sort of development happened on screen, but it doesn’t. The 4 main characters give solid performances, and the moment where Isaac and the aftermath with Grace is particularly touching.

Also the ending is highly confusing, and the last shot which is actually a cut back to the ongoing action after we’ve seen the defeat of the Muslims is just plain weird.

However, if you’re looking for explosions, and solid action, you’ve got the right place. But, if you’re looking for a good plot, and a deeper story, I’d recommend staying home for this one.

4/10

The Flash:

The Flash is at a distinct advantage of being the first Super Hero film of the year, and I’m sure by year’s end, I’ll be so tired of Super Hero films that all of them will get bad review regardless. I mean, 3 or 4 big budget ones in a year are fine, but this year just seems to have way too many.

But, focusing on the movie, it’s good. Like, it’s good. I really liked how the movie go started really quickly, and didn’t spend forever building up to the point by which more than half the movie’s already gone before we even see the suit for the first time. Smart direction by Shawn Levy really helps, and the IMAX is gorgeous. The 3D not so much.

Where The Flash succeeds is that it doesn’t try to get too big, and too complex for its own good, it keeps the story simple, and it doesn’t bog everything down with unneeded back story, and useless side arcs that detract from the point of the movie. However, for 2 hours and 7 minutes, the movie seemed too long, and at parts it definitely drags, but with a cut of about 15-25 minutes it’ll definitely fix the pacing, and keep the movie going at a really good speed.

Acting wise the villain is a standout, and Ralph Fiennes really nails it, but then again when does he ever not nail a role? The biggest thing I had with Ralph’s performance, and maybe I’ve just been watching too much Harry Potter, but I kept seeing him as Voldemort. As for the other cast, Bradley Cooper is solid, and the rest of the cast gets it done. Michelle Williams was fantastic as always, and it’s a shame her part wasn’t too big.

8/10 (Might've been a bit harsh here, so this might change.)

So, you skipped over Lord Madship for now? Okay. :P Nice to see you really liked the Flash. I didn't see the point of making a complex, slow movie for a hero whose power is being fast. :D Thanks for the review!

Lord Madship's actually being skipped permanently. I had to shave some of your movies off so that everyone got roughly an equal number of review from me, and Madship was a sad casualty. Sorry. :D:lol:

Lord Madship's actually being skipped permanently. I had to shave some of your movies off so that everyone got roughly an equal number of review from me, and Madship was a sad casualty. Sorry. :D:lol:

Fine by me, I guess. I just chose it for you to review since I know you like Bond and Chris Nolan, as obvious by your awesome signature. ;) So, will you be doing Booster Gold and Citizen Hughes, or just one of them?