Crunching the Numbers: Year 4

I love how Vast Dark made it into a review. It's disgusting and outrageous. Then again, do you need a better marketing tool for a Halloween release?

Seriously, that entire torture sequence made me stop, shake my head, and mumble WTF several times. It's like The Passion of the Christ on a mix of steroids and LSD.
  • Like 1

Oh and good to know I spotted the twist before it became a twist in the Nirvaniceration trilogy Ueka. Makes up for me not noticing your geographical "hints" in The Road Home. :ph34r:Anyways, I have two requests left and I'll get them done by the night's end. Then I suppose it'll be countdown time starting sometime Thursday.

Seriously, that entire torture sequence made me stop, shake my head, and mumble WTF several times. It's like The Passion of the Christ on a mix of steroids and LSD.

Well this time Christ isn't on the receiving end. The fact that you have a crowd cheering and the whole sequence last more than 30 mins makes Trier's Antichrist as a summer popcorn movie lol

The Last Six

It would have been seven but Quetzalcoatl couldn't make it because he came down with Montezuma's Revenge.

The Last Six's premise sounds like something a drunk guy came up with at a party thinking of the coolest video game scenario possible, and I mean that in the most generous way possible. I mean think about it, you have some eternal battle between two forces, one of Creation and one of Destruction, and Destruction decides to take the battle to the home turf of the immortals and then the mortal realm, and a pair of plucky Greek gods, one the aggressive straight man and the other the carefree party-going drunk, have to recruit four other immortals across other mythological realms to go to Earth to stop the Destruction force from achieving its final goal. It's a mix of a buddy-cop movie, Clash of the Titans, and a JRPG (in that all of the heroes are good-looking 20-somethings with overpowered weapons and some emotional issues).

The Last Six has two main problems: First is that the characters aren't well developed aside from maybe Ares and Dionysus, who our are buddy-cop gateway characters to the wild ride. Second is that the story isn't that great and the final act abandons all plot altogether for a string of epic battle sequences across Washington D.C. So if you want an intelligent film with strong and deep characters, don't pick this film. That said, this film is pretty darn fun and is as good a way as any to entertain yourself for 140ish minutes. The plot and character issues don't matter as much when you're along for the ride, though they're still there and nagging at you. I will say that the conclusion pretty much says there's going to be a sequel, since now you have six superpowered individuals stuck on Earth meant to be its protectors. It's a resolution in that there's no resolution, only a "So what comes next?"

When I was writing it, at somepoints I did realize it sounded like a JRPG. :P Surprised you found Ares and Dionysus the most developed; when I was writing it, I thought I gave too much attention to Loki and the Boss. Assuming it does well, there'll probably be a sequel. I have a few ideas right now for one, but I just need to pick one. Thanks for the review! :D

Last Request. Thankfully Ueka and I had some back-and-forth about the film in another thread, so I have less to write about!!!!

THE ROAD HOME

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVTqGo2UeM

Unfortunately there is no Jack Bauer in this movie, and this movie also does not take place in real time, but it does cram four different stories in the span of a single hour in time, except one story actually takes place in a different hour but because of time zones it's the same hour just an hour behind and yeah Ueka and I wrangled this out eventually.

Anyways, The Road Home is a film about just how fucking out of control people's lives can get in the span of a single hour when they lose their cool, act stupid, and generally let emotions and adrenaline take precedence over common sense. It's a story about how people are fallible and make mistakes here and there that sometimes add up into huge colossal mistakes that wreck lives. So yeah, it's a pretty damn depressing film about people in the worst moments, save for Anne's storyline which is about the little kindnesses that can be done to lift spirits just a bit when the people might otherwise fall down into the depths. The drama, once the time/geography/people acting stupid issue is taken care of with thought and explanation, is very powerful and riveting, with lots of moments where the raw and visceral nature of it can be enthralling and haunting at the same time.

John C. Reilly is lost (in a good way) as Daniel, completely without direction in both his personal life and career, he is at the receiving end of abuse from co-workers and plain bad luck in accidents and in timing. He tries to hold it together, trying to do a little bit of good here and there to keep afloat, though with the big whammy of the finale it's unsure whether he can do that. Julianne Moore is passionate and self-destructive as Julia, trying to vent her emotions, salvage her marriage, and remain on the high ground, her inability to face her own inner turmoil and restrain her anger leads her to commit the final blow that would cement the film's pessimistic outlook, if the film had only focused on the East Coast time zone. That brings us to Ellen Burstyn, whose role as Anna is without a doubt the moral center of the movie, a quiet, earnest role filled with conviction, empathy, and endurance. She with grace and quiet dignity tries to maintain composure and a positive outlook on life while searching for her granddaughter. Her tender and soft moments are a reminder that even while people are out there causing pain and misery because of their instinctive capacity for self-destruction, some are the pillars of the species, keeping things going with an inability to accept the worst in people. Separated from the chaos of the other three storylines, Burstyn rises above it all.

So, once the immediate problems of the film are resolved, what remains is a very strong drama about human nature that should be a contender through Oscar season...maybe.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

While I'm very proud of TRH, I don't expect much in the way of Oscars since Black as Night just won BP. I am definitely pushing Burstyn for Actress though, and I wouldn't be surprised if she won.Almost felt like a PTA film to me, especially since it used some of his common cast (John C. Reilly, Julianne Moore), but I just used PTA last year so I didn't want to overuse him.

25. Island of the Blue Dolphins

An effective and atmospheric drama about a girl's struggle for survival on her own in a hostile environment.

24. Martian Manhunter

The best of the DCU superhero films this year.

23. Our City

A humorous and engaging animated film.

22. Divisions

See my review.

21. The Suicide King

An off-kilter comedy that has plenty of dark laughs.

• Like 1

20. Comedians

Comedy battle moderated by Les Grossman? I'm there. Jack Black should have been in this as his Tropic Thunder character though.

19. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord

My film, no comment.

18. Death of a Salesman

It's a serviceable adaptation with fine acting, but it's missing an extra oomph, some energy and liberty.

17. Ready, Player One

An engaging digital adventure with thrills, love, and fun.

16. The Bellringer of Notre Dame

It's a story that's been adapted loads of times before but this version has enough individual power and emotion (plus some sweet gothic visuals) to stand apart a bit.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

If The Road Home makes your top 5, I'll be very happy. That's about as good as winning BP some years, and this would be one of those years because I know I don't stand a good chance of winning BP this year after Black as Night dominated last year, and I'm cool with that.

15. NirvanaSee review.14. Miracle KidsOliver Stone's film is a moving mix of tragedy and hope, defeat and survival. Wyclef Jean's involvment is interesting and a bonus.13. The Flowers of ArvikaMichelle Williams gives a raw and shining performance as a woman torn between her emotions, her reason, and her passion.12. SylvariusMy film, no comment.11. Citizen HughesSee review.

Spark must be in your top 10! :excited: Hopefully, Glass Castle is in there, too.I'll guess your top 10 in no particular order.The Good Die YoungWenanAlesiaThe Road HomeSparkThe Glass CastleThe SimulationIn The Line Of ServiceLoveBytesThe Triple Nickels

Edited by Spaghetti