darthdevidem01

The Sith Chronicle Year 4 Reviews

July

Pippi Longstocking:

3/10 -- Completely senseless, unrealistic and boring movie. The main character pippi has as much charm as a donkey & the supporting children cast include characters more annoying than Jar Jar Binks. One wonders if Spike Jonze is undergoing a financial crisis, why would he direct this!

Nirvana:

8.5/10 -- We have a great movie on papers. The plot is great, the acting, special effects and everything is done very well. But the one thing which sticks out like a sore thumb for me is the how excessive parts of the movie are. Some scenes keep dragging on and on and on...this created problems with flow and made the pacing of the film weak for me. Still this is one of the best movies of the summer, and definitely the best pure sci fi.

The Suicide King:

7.5/10 -- A good movie. Intriguing, charming, funny and it has a good message at hear. It’s really kind of a tragic tale with a comic twist. The issue is the comedy itself does fall flat at times (though it may be on purpose when its aaron) & the running time of 2 hours is just too much for the content the film holds. This resulted in pacing issues where some oft he flashbacks just drag on for so long you forget the present exists! Still overall a fun romp for the family to see. A part of me thinks it would’ve been better as an animated musical movie.

Jane and Tony:

9/10 -- I really don’t know why I liked this movie so much...but it just seemed to resonate with me on every level. But parts had be sobbing like a little girl. The two lead performances were absolutely excellent. And the second half saw an odd chemistry form between the two as we see a relationship, formed due to tragedy develop. The way they help each other, the scenes with the Jane’s daughter. It’s a emotional roller-coaster & the feel good movie of the year with how it ends. One of my fav films of the year.

The Last Six:

9/10 -- Bravo! One of the best movies of the summer is upon us. Being a huge fan of mythology I knew this movie would pique my interests, but even I couldn’t guess how well it would be made. The story while basic on many levels hits highs due to character interactions & some shocking parts. In fact the first half of the movie is the villain literally just taking names & kicking all sorts of ass. I will never forget the BEAUTIFUL city of Asgard that we see from the outside just for a second before cutting to Odins chamber...then just a minute later Odins dead & the beautiful city is being destroyed by the shockwave. It’s a poignant scene & the excellent effects/art direction for the city...seeing it all being destroyed makes one feel angry at the villain. I really loved the variety in costumes, art direction & stuff between the three mythologies, it's the best visual feast of the year in that sense. The performances are great. One feels the last act had some chance to be more memorable, for some reason I wanted Loki to remain a girl as a testament to the sacrifice he made in choosing to not betray his fellow allies like he used to in the past...of course that’s just a sort of fan wish! I would’ve also preferred the name of the movie just coming up at the end rather than the beginning as we don’t truly understand the impact of the words THE LAST SIX till the end. Either way this was a very well made film & the $200 Million has been spent well. Bring on THE LAST SIX II !

Comedians:

8/10 -- The best cure to the wonder hangover left by The Last Six is an awesome comedy. That’s exactly what comedians is!! The concept had me hyped ever since I read about it and the final product is most pleasing. The audition scenes were absolutely amazing & the final act is up there with comedy greats.

Cruisers:

4/10 -- Meh. Generic dudebro car-chase fest. Go only if you loved even the worst Fast & Furious movie!

July Ranking:

1. The Last Six

2. Jane & Tony

3. Nirvana

4. Comedians

5. The Suicide King

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 1

August

Island of the Blue Dolphins:

7/10 -- Poor pacing due to the short run time resulted in this movie falling somewhat short of its potential. Overall though it’s a good start to August and a fun adventure for families.

Summer Jobs:

7.5/10 -- Nice feel good kind-of coming of age movie about teens getting their first jobs. Nothing special but it has cute moments & hilarious scenes which will stick with you after the movie.

The Glass Castle:

9/10 -- The Glass Castle delivers on its promise of taking us on a journey a poverty stricken, dysfunctional family takes accross America. For me parts of the dream kind of personified the American Dream as jeanette tries to grasp it despite all the problems going on. The cast put in amazing performances, the script is tight & the 2.5 hours fly like a breeze. Some minor issues include some nonsensical character decisions, but as many of the characters are dysfunctional we’ll allow that.

Martian Manhunter:

8.5/10 -- Martian Manhunter delivers a great superhero movie experience. What is most striking about this movie is the twist on the masks the superhero wears & the dilemma it presents him in life. The cinematography is of particular note as we have some iconic imagery in this movie...the beginning was excellent with the image of burning mars, then Martian Manhunters finally dive beneath the bridge into the subway. The problems include a very weak villain, the weakest of all the villains DCU has showcased so far. We never quite got his motivations. Still the effects are superb, as is the score. Although not quite as good as Flash, you should still go see this movie!

Breakout Character:

7/10 -- Nice funky funny summer movie. I found the premise very interesting. However as other reviews have said...just no at the musical parts.

Grunge:

8/10 -- An interesting documentary that music fans are sure to love.

Knights of the Lunch Table :

7.5/10 -- Fun animation film that will hit all the right notes for the kids. The locker bit was my favorite part!

Student Film:

8.5/10 -- A very nice movie. The lead pair is a treat to watch. Lazer tag places accross the world will complain of couples kissing rather than playing thanks to this movie!

Remember Flight 175:

6/10 -- A shocking disappointment from Spieldberg. A very heavy melodramatic movie that never quite knows what it wants to be. However it's still an emotional ride.

Ranking for August

1. The Glass Castle

2. Student Film

3. Martian Manhunter

4. Grunge

5. Summer Jobs

Edited by darthdevidem01